Updates

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
When you have the Play Store open if you hit the menu button and go into the settings, you can uncheck to send you notifications on updates. Then for the APPS you do want updated you can go to them one by one and tell it to do auto updates, that way you never get notified and all your APPS you want to use are always updated.

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
When you have the Play Store open if you hit the menu button and go into the settings, you can uncheck to send you notifications on updates. Then for the APPS you do want updated you can go to them one by one and tell it to do auto updates, that way you never get notified and all your APPS you want to use are always updated.

You can also check update over WiFi only

gohoosiers

Reaction score
I don't like auto updating, since a lot of the updates don't apply to my phone, I don't want to mess with them. So, if I keep notifications on, is there any way to make a particular notification go away until there is another update to that app that I may want to download?

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
I don't like auto updating, since a lot of the updates don't apply to my phone, I don't want to mess with them. So, if I keep notifications on, is there any way to make a particular notification go away until there is another update to that app that I may want to download?

Not sure I know the answer to your question but I was curious how there could be an update that you are getting a notification for that doesn't apply to your phone.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I agree with the question by MysticalDreams, but if you mean that sometimes the updates "fix" things that are related to some phones but not yours, that's OK. As long as the "fix" doesn't "break it" for your phone. There is no way that I know of to install an app from the Play Store that is not compatible with your phone, as the system knows what phone you are sending it to and all apps have to register what phones they are compatible with.

Also, MysticalDream's valid and helpful suggestion of WIFI only for updates will curtail your Data Usage by limiting updates to only WIFI, which may eliminate any concern you have for auto-updating.

But to answer your underlying question, no there is no way to turn off notifications on just certain apps, and hiding them does nothing to prevent them from notifying, AFAIK. It's all or nothing, however the solution put forth by Sydman is not only a good one, but I plan on implementing it right now! Thanks, Sydman! This is great...some people come here looking for help, others to give help, and some for both reasons, but it often winds up that the help-giver becomes the help-receiver unknowingly! That's what makes an open forum so powerful! Power to the people!! :hail:

gohoosiers

Reaction score
Not sure I know the answer to your question but I was curious how there could be an update that you are getting a notification for that doesn't apply to your phone.

The update will be for an app that I have, but will say something like "Fixes issues with tablets" or whatever. I don't want to mess with it because it doesn't apply to my phone and I believe in - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. So, it would be nice if you could eliminate that notification until the next time there is an update for that app. But, apparently this isn't possible, so I will follow the previous recommendations.

It also appears that setting an individual app to auto update changes the global setting, so that all apps will auto-update. I'm on a D2, gingerbread.