Updates Fail?

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by MaddCyentist, Sep 22, 2010.

1. MaddCyentist

MaddCyentist New Member

I'm having a lot of problems with the apps wanting to update but in the end, it says that "update failed". Also this is happening a lot with trying to install new apps. Anyone else having this type of problem and how do you fix it.

I'm using SS 4.7, 1ghz w/ Launcher Pro
  2. joebetsill

joebetsill New Member

I have this problem a lot, too. I've found that sometimes it is caused by moving an app to the SD card before it is "officially" allowed and then attempting to install the update that allows to move to the SD card. (That sentence is confusing!) In short, if the failing app is on the SD card, try moving it back to the phone first.

That being said, I still have apps that randomly won't successfully install. So, a more technical answer from someone would be wonderful. :)
  3. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

many times its because of the app you currently have on your phone. Sometimes you just have to delete/uninstall the current app....then go back to market and reinstall it.

Be warned about doing this with system apps though. Delete it...and there isnt a way to get it back unless you restore a nandroid backup.

Some stand alone apps you can just use root explorer and change the app name to (ex: rootexplorer.apk to rootexplorer.apk.bak). It will remain where it is...but installer may not recognize it. Then attempt to install the new app....if it works...no probs...then you can delete the .bak file and keep the new app.

If it doesnt work...you can change the name back to rootexplorer.apk

and it will restore the working app.
  4. ecfiffer

ecfiffer New Member

i too get this error from time to time but have found that 99% of the time its when i'm updating a few apps at the same time. usually i just re-run the download. with that being said i'd like to get the new build of launcher pro and its booming on me. i have ran both chevy's and RM fix permissions with no luck...
  5. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

IF you use my Tools to delete the app (the list is growing and more apps added in 4.8), they get backed up to SD, and simply selecting them again in Tools will recover the app for you, no need to nandroid.
  6. brad r

brad r New Member

I've had this problem with several apps, and usually I just uninstall it through system > applications, and then install it through the market, and that does the trick.

This didn't work for the gmail update, and for that I had to uninstall using titanium, reboot, and then install the apk. Chevy's tools doesn't have an option to uninstall gmail.

It also didn't work for the google goggles update, and that was fixed by going into the /data/data directory and deleting the google goggles folder there, rebooting, and then installing through the market. Chevy's tools does have a script to uninstall google goggles, but it didn't work for me.

I would try the first method first, followed by the other methods if you need to. Usually if I have a problem with an app, it goes away after that. Chevy mentioned awhile ago that it might have something to do with the way rstapps restores your apps.
  7. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

And both of your issues with gmail/goggles should be resolved, with options for both in Tools, in 4.8
  8. atticus

atticus New Member

And we should expect 4.8......... :)
  9. y0rk

y0rk New Member

I have noticed that most of the failing update problems for me come with apps that are included as system apps and have at one time or another been updated by Google and the market installs them alongside the existing app. The OS is smart enough to use the correct one and access the app data but future updates don't seem to process the path to the app data correctly and then can't verify they are upgrading the correct app. That being said, deleting the davlik cache is usually the farthest i've had to go to fix an issue with it.
  10. MaddCyentist

MaddCyentist New Member

Still having trouble updating apps after loading 4.8.
    I moved the apps to the phone memory and tried to update, phone to SD and I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and now i have lost my handcentsms. Sad times. Still loving 4.8 though. Any suggestions?
  11. ecfiffer

ecfiffer New Member

have you tried running chevy's fix permissions? i also run RM fix permissions as well. (although i bet they are identical) when i get errors i will try either of those steps first. i am trying clearing the dalvik cache right now because i'm tryin to get the updated build of car home...
  12. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

You can also try, settings>applications>manage applications>all>market>clear data and cache, reboot, try to update again
  13. spiller37

spiller37 New Member

I have this problem quite frequently. To get the apps to update/install I fire up Titanium backup. Make a backup of the app. Use Titanium backup to wipe data. Back to the market to install/update the app. Then back to Titanium backup and restore data only. This has worked for every app that would not install from the market on the first run. I don't even have to reboot with this method.
  14. elucid

elucid New Member

Nice. That is a good solution.