[Updated] Verizon To Officially Reveal Tiered Data Plans July 7th; Plans Leaked Below

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
pinkyshot said:
If most of the population don't use over 2gb than whats the point of them changing the unlimited? The reason being is there is actually tons of people who are actually going over that and the phone companies are wanting to make more money by charging us more, for more data usage.

If everyone was staying under 2gb they wouldn't make any more money by putting these plans in to effect just for the slim chance someone might go over and have to pay another 10 bucks. :blink:

It really makes me mad that they are doing this...they just want to get as much money out of people as they can....its robbery at least to the people who already have the unlimited and now if they upgrade their phones will get the screwed out of it...very unfair at least they could do it just for new subscribers and leave the rest of us alone

because its free money for doing nothing. again, what company wouldn't do this? doesn't matter if it's $10 or $10,000. If it makes them more money they're going to do it. Second, it's not like the entire world is going to start at a low tier and hope they dont go over. The reps will upsell the higher tiers, or scare people into getting higher tiers. It's not like they're going to tell their customers "the avg user uses less then 2GB, so just get this one" and it's not like customers are going into verizon armed with nielsen reports on data usage

^trying that again...no edit sucks

huskur

Reaction score
I just called about upgrading requirements. I was told if i upgrade next year August 2012 when my contract is up that i could get a 4G device and still keep unlimited data. They said if the system tried to make me select a tiered package to call them and they would manually put the phone into the system with unlimited still in effect.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just called about upgrading requirements. I was told if i upgrade next year August 2012 when my contract is up that i could get a 4G device and still keep unlimited data. They said if the system tried to make me select a tiered package to call them and they would manually put the phone into the system with unlimited still in effect.

nice. now we wait to see what the next whine-fest will be about.

huskur

Reaction score

Was also told that current unlimited data customers will have it unless they cancel or die or add lines. Something that would change contractual terms.
(of course i have 3 kids that will be needing cell phone a few years from now so hopefully there will be a "family data sharing plan" by then):icon_eek:

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Was also told that current unlimited data customers will have it unless they cancel or die or add lines. Something that would change contractual terms.
(of course i have 3 kids that will be needing cell phone a few years from now so hopefully there will be a "family data sharing plan" by then):icon_eek:

yeah im hoping they do a family share eventually too...but based on this change they'll probably do the lowest family share at $150, meaning i still wont save money haha

TheOldFart

Reaction score
yeah but my point is data consumption research show that you are the anomaly and not the other way around. it's been shown that 95% don't use 600MB, and 99% dont use 5GB. that's why i said its a small amount who uses 2GB a month. It sucks for that small percent sure, but it is a small percent regardless. That doesn't mean you can't use a crapload of data if you wanted to, the point is people just don't.

i dont disagree that usage is going to go up, but it's not going to go from 95% not using 600MB to 95% using 10GB/month. that's not a logical progression and that's not what's going to happen.[/QUOTE]

If most of the population don't use over 2gb than whats the point of them changing the unlimited? The reason being is there is actually tons of people who are actually going over that and the phone companies are wanting to make more money by charging us more, for more data usage.

If everyone was staying under 2gb they wouldn't make any more money by putting these plans in to effect just for the slim chance someone might go over and have to pay another 10 bucks. :blink:

It really makes me mad that they are doing this...they just want to get as much money out of people as they can....its robbery at least to the people who already have the unlimited and now if they upgrade their phones will get the screwed out of it...very unfair at least they could do it just for new subscribers and leave the rest of us alone[/QUOTE]

Verizon Wireless has about 100 million customers. Let's assume that 30 million have smartphones (I have no idea what the real number is). Let's assume that 4% of those use between 2GB and 5GB and that another 1% use between 5GB and 10GB. The remaining 95% use less than 2GB. That will increase their income by 30000000 x 0.04 x $20 + 30000000 x 0.01 x $50 = $39 million. So it only takes a very small percentage of customers using over 2GB a month to make lots of millions.

Cmking76

Reaction score
just because you can disentangle mean you should. it's called business ethics I'm 6'3 220 i can woop up onaq lot people doesn't mean i should and yes there are laws for both

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
yeah especially since millions of people are boycotting verizon and they're hemorrhaging money because of their policies...oh wait.

i love the suggestion of "this is working great for us and people continue to pay us, so let's go ahead and ruin it"

Cmking76

Reaction score

that's at least some good news thanks for the info

bplewis24

Reaction score
I'm thinking of starting a new business:

I'm going to purchase 100 additional lines next week @$29/month for unlimited data.

After July 7th, I'm going to auction those lines off to random people for a fixed cost. After they split the lines from my account they should still be unlimited.

_____

Profit.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of starting a new business:

I'm going to purchase 100 additional lines next week @$29/month for unlimited data.

After July 7th, I'm going to auction those lines off to random people for a fixed cost. After they split the lines from my account they should still be unlimited.

_____

Profit.

haha, yea but if your business fails you're out $2900 a month for two years or $33,000 in ETFs. risky business haha

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

It really makes me mad that they are doing this...they just want to get as much money out of people as they can....its robbery at least to the people who already have the unlimited and now if they upgrade their phones will get the screwed out of it...very unfair at least they could do it just for new subscribers and leave the rest of us alone

I just thought about it....because if most ppl dont use over 2GB, changing the unlimited plan to 2GB wouldnt really make a difference to those ppl.

But, like many have said....and I am an example of it with my ISP...when I was on DSL back in 1999, I tried doing some things with my connection that took days to complete. So I did less of those things cuz it took so long. I just recently upgraded to 60Mbps down. Now I can do those same things in 5-30 minutes, an hour tops. Now I do waay more of those same things cuz it gets completed faster. No waiting days anymore.

Instant gratification.

If 4G means better Youtube experience, instead of looking at it when near wifi, I will probably use it more with 4G. If I dont download apps cuz of the 3G speed and wait to use wifi, I might download those same apps now on 4G. If I dont play many network games cuz of a slower or weaker 3G connection and wait til I'm near wifi, I might play them more over 4G.

I just signed up for Netflix and it was nice over 3G. If using Netflix over 4G is better than over 3G, I will probably use it more over 4G. Same for streaming radio, music. I dont use the Tune In radio app to and from work cuz I live in a bad reception area. If 4G can fix that....I might use it more.

Like some have said....Verizon is counting on use to use more data and want to cash in on that expectation. Either way, its win/win for them. Those that are not effected by the tiers wont have a problem. If current customers can keep unlimited for the entire time they are with Verizon....happy customer wont leave. If you are a new customer after 7/7 or change plans or add a line, you either pay it or look else where. new customers will know what they are getting into so thats not a problem. if you dont want that plan you wont come to Verizon. Its the current customers thats the wild card...

The wild card is also how long does current customers get to keep unlimited...

Cmking76

Reaction score
i got the 30$ +9.99 ×4 plan could not beat the deal anywhere trust me looked all over so I'm happy bout that plus verizon keeps good on their i just hope the lake of new people will speak volumes

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

Just read this...was busy proofreading my long winded post...lol

Good news indeed. I would also assume being a long time customer should give one some leverage if all else fails.