[Updated] Verizon To Officially Reveal Tiered Data Plans July 7th; Plans Leaked Below

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is were VZW will get everyone.

"As rumored yesterday, all customers grandfathered into the unlimited monthly data will be allowed to keep it, even when upgrading to new phones."

Yes, you will be able to keep the unlimited data plan as long as you are on 3G, 2 years from now. If you want 4G you will have to get tier pricing or pay more if they allow the unlimited. Very slick.

yeah that's what i alluded to earlier. they'll say "this 4G phone is not compatible with our unlimited plans" or something. if you stick with 3G you'll probably be grandfathered in...but i guess we wont know till July 7th when someone goes in there to upgrade haha

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oh ok, I'll be honest, I thought you were saying you were getting ripped off now too. If not, that's cool. And I believe you when you say you'll leave if you feel that you are. I'm sure you will. Other people on here? Not so much. Those are just whiners.

Oh, no, not at all. I have my $29 unlimited plan as does my girlfriend on her TBolt. Of course we live in a 4G area but she cannot use it because the 4G radio kills her 2600mAh battery in less than 4 hours when she isn't even using the phone, but that's another topic. LOL

This is more of me voicing my displeasure at the direction they are headed.

When for years you tout unlimited data and urge people to splurge on your latest and greated 4G devices and fill their heads with all the cool stuff they can do, and then complain that people are actually using them as prescribed and decide to triple the charges, it just seems cheezy to me.

Point taken, and like I said its most probably unfair. But the minute you agree, personally I think it makes the signer of the contract look more foolish then the company offering the contract.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score

"As rumored yesterday, all customers grandfathered into the unlimited monthly data will be allowed to keep it, even when upgrading to new phones."

Yes, you will be able to keep the unlimited data plan as long as you are on 3G, 2 years from now. If you want 4G you will have to get tier pricing or pay more if they allow the unlimited. Very slick.

And of course, who will want 3G in a year or two, when VZW's 3G is so horrendously slow to begin with? Half the time it feels like 56k dial-up...

So am I to assume that I should upgrade to a 4G phone now, and get unlimited so that I can keep it grandfathered in the future?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

And of course, who will want 3G in a year or two, when VZW's 3G is so horrendously slow to begin with? Half the time it feels like 56k dial-up...

So am I to assume that I should upgrade to a 4G phone now, and get unlimited so that I can keep it grandfathered in the future?

I think that's a fair assumption. But again, who the heck knows if this is even true haha. Everyone could be grandfathered regardless of device. Hopefully Verizon lets people know before the 7th so that people who want to jump on unlimited 4G are given the chance to do so.

NeoandGeo

Reaction score

I believe that with people moving to 4G, the network conditions will improve for 3G. Purely speculation of course.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
But, what if so many ppl are confused by that if that only means upgrade a 3G phone to a 3G phone? I can see them allowing a extended grace period or something when you have alot of angry customers wondering why it wasnt explained better..

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score

I believe that with people moving to 4G, the network conditions will improve for 3G. Purely speculation of course.

Well, their 3G speed was a fraction of what AT&T's was to begin with.

My issue with AT&T was dropped calls. For business, it simply was not acceptable and they did not have a decent Droid phone at the time.

But as far as performance went, having 4G that was 4x as fast as VZW's and being able to do voice and data at the same time, was hard to give up. But I just couldn't take the dropped calls any more.

Haven't had one yet with VZW, but the network performance, is awful. It's about as fast as AT&T's EDGE network.

Cmking76

Reaction score
4g phones are to crappy right now to pay full price for a maybe your gonna be grandfatherd in

just saying

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
But, what if so many ppl are confused by that if that only means upgrade a 3G phone to a 3G phone? I can see them allowing a extended grace period or something when you have alot of angry customers wondering why it wasnt explained better..

They don't care about angry customers.

Some bean counter will crunch the numbers. If the aded revenue from the price increases is larger than the money they lose from angry customers leaving, they will do it in a heartbeat.

They *only* care about the customer, if it costs them money.

pinkyshot

Reaction score
[/QUOTE]yeah but my point is data consumption research show that you are the anomaly and not the other way around. it's been shown that 95% don't use 600MB, and 99% dont use 5GB. that's why i said its a small amount who uses 2GB a month. It sucks for that small percent sure, but it is a small percent regardless. That doesn't mean you can't use a crapload of data if you wanted to, the point is people just don't.

i dont disagree that usage is going to go up, but it's not going to go from 95% not using 600MB to 95% using 10GB/month. that's not a logical progression and that's not what's going to happen.[/QUOTE]

If most of the population don't use over 2gb than whats the point of them changing the unlimited? The reason being is there is actually tons of people who are actually going over that and the phone companies are wanting to make more money by charging us more, for more data usage.

If everyone was staying under 2gb they wouldn't make any more money by putting these plans in to effect just for the slim chance someone might go over and have to pay another 10 bucks. :blink:

It really makes me mad that they are doing this...they just want to get as much money out of people as they can....its robbery at least to the people who already have the unlimited and now if they upgrade their phones will get the screwed out of it...very unfair at least they could do it just for new subscribers and leave the rest of us alone

Cmking76

Reaction score

i read somewhere by 2013 they wanted to get rid of 3g

RockXP

Reaction score
4g phones are to crappy right now to pay full price for a maybe your gonna be grandfatherd in

just saying

Looks like I might have to jump on the 4G bandwagon soon. I currently have a basic phone with no data plan. My ideal phone is the Samsung Galaxy S2 but there is no release data yet. I heard the bionic will be out on July 4th but thats just a rumors. I also heard the display is 4.5 as oppose to 4.3. If I had to pick a phone right now that is 4G it would be the Samsung Charge.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
yeah but my point is data consumption research show that you are the anomaly and not the other way around. it's been shown that 95% don't use 600MB, and 99% dont use 5GB. that's why i said its a small amount who uses 2GB a month. It sucks for that small percent sure, but it is a small percent regardless. That doesn't mean you can't use a crapload of data if you wanted to, the point is people just don't.

i dont disagree that usage is going to go up, but it's not going to go from 95% not using 600MB to 95% using 10GB/month. that's not a logical progression and that's not what's going to happen.[/QUOTE]

If most of the population don't use over 2gb than whats the point of them changing the unlimited? The reason being is there is actually tons of people who are actually going over that and the phone companies are wanting to make more money by charging us more, for more data usage.

If everyone was staying under 2gb they wouldn't make any more money by putting these plans in to effect just for the slim chance someone might go over and have to pay another 10 bucks. :blink:

It really makes me mad that they are doing this...they just want to get as much money out of people as they can....its robbery at least to the people who already have the unlimited and now if they upgrade their phones will get the screwed out of it...very unfair at least they could do it just for new subscribers and leave the rest of us alone[/QUOTE]

because its free money for doing nothing. again, what company wouldn't do this? doesn't matter if it's $10 or $10,000. If it makes them more money they're going to do it. Second, it's not like the entire world is going to start at a low tier and hope they dont go over. The reps will upsell the higher tiers, or scare people into getting higher tiers. It's not like they're going to tell their customers "the avg user uses less then 2GB, so just get this one" and it's not like customers are going into verizon armed with nielsen reports on data usage

Vakharn

Reaction score

From what I can see they make no differentiation between 3g and 4g as far as upgrading and keeping your unlimited data goes.