[Updated] Verizon To Officially Reveal Tiered Data Plans July 7th; Plans Leaked Below

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Beka27

Beka27 Active Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Current Verizon Customers Won’t Ever Be Affected by Tiered Data, Only New Customers and Lines? - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Droid Life is also saying this will only be for new contracts and new lines on existing contracts. As usual, folks are making a big deal without knowing all of the facts.

I feel bad for the people who are going to jump onto a "lesser" phone just to make the 7/7 cut-off, when it doesn't really matter one way or another.

2. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    i just want my bionic already haha

3. Beka27

Beka27 Active Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Lol... I hear ya! I wonder how many are going to jump on the TB or Charge instead of waiting for the Bionic... We'll see a sudden influx of new TB/Charge owners the first week of July.

4. bplewis24

bplewis24 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That would really be great. Even 1GB for $20 would make me pretty happy. I just checked my data usage yesterday, and I have 3 days left in my billing cycle and I'm at about 850MB.

The last three months I've finished at 300MB, 500MB and once 900MB. I would be perfectly content if I typically paid $20/month and every once in a while got an overage of $10 (which would be what I used to pay monthly anyway).

Brandon

5. Deano2423

Deano2423 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I guess my only question(s) would be. If I have a family plan and never change it will:

1. We be able to upgrade phones (without changing the plan) and keep the unlimited data plans we have?

2. Are 4G phones included in that upgrade if I/we only have 3G phones right now?

6. rushmore

rushmore Member

Ratings:
    +0

A lot of current 4G device sales were due to "locking in" 4G unlimited for two years, due to this. The problem with that ration of thought is VZW contracts (up until now) do not differentiate between 3G and 4G. Both are same unlimited web plan. Your usr profile will show LTE, but the contract does not and that is what matters (per VZW rep).

7. bplewis24

bplewis24 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    According to the leaked images in the Droid Life article and in other threads, YES you WOULD be able to upgrade to new 4G phones without losing unlimited.

Honestly, this is the best news I've heard from Verizon (if true) in the last 6 months or so. All of this speculation about data tiers and when it will happen has been pretty doom & gloom(y), so if it's only for new customers, I'll be elated.

Now just give me a damn phone worth upgrading to!

Brandon

8. BeGood

BeGood Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Check your usage

I thought this link will help people out. Although some say people abused their data plan, with this it appears does not take much. Because of my streaming music at work and on the road, doing any facebook, checking the web, you will eat it up. Based on link. Hope it helps.

AT&T Data Calculator

9. rushmore

rushmore Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I corporate rep told me that VZW are seriously considering a family data plan where all use the same data total for one price. I have seen rumors posted, but this was the first time a person that works for them mentioned it was brought up during a regional meeting.

10. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,242
    Minor Update to Story

There has been a slight update to the story, that confirms the timeframe of the tiered plans.

11. Chocula78

Chocula78 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I wish the carriers would offer a pay per gb plan instead of a 2 gb/month plan. This would nullify the claims that tiered data save casual users money and penalize power users. If you had to spend $30/2 gb and you only use 300 mb/month, well that 2gb will last you ~6.5+ months. If you are a power user who uses 5 gb/month, well then you'll be paying the equivalent of $50/month.

This is the ideal structure for the customer, but we all know the providers aren't about making the customer happy. Just their stockholders.

If everyone is truly unhappy with how Big Red is handling data, write them an email. letter, tweet. Threaten to leave. It MIGHT make them change somethings. More likely a vast exodus to Sprint or prepaid providers would do more though.

12. bplewis24

bplewis24 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, my brother was planning on migrating his family to Verizon in like October or something (when his contracts with TMobile are up). So I'm trying to convince him to upgrade before July 7th.

Does Verizon have any of those plans in place where they will give you a $200 credit if you break contract with another carrier to come to them?

Brandon

Search tags for this page

ipod mb1473

verizon tiered data backfire