[Updated] Verizon To Officially Reveal Tiered Data Plans July 7th; Plans Leaked Below

RockXP

Reaction score
IF they grandfather us with our unlimited plans, I might be with Verizon for life.

I dont trust VZW. I'm due for an upgrade. I dont like the current 4G phones. If I had to pick I would go with the iphone and 3G. I just have a feeling 2 years from now they will try to screw me and say you want 4G, now you have to pay extra. Until things are confirmed I dont believe the articles floating around.

RockXP

Reaction score
The timing is all screwed up. I was hoping to get the S2. Oh well....

SithDroid2187

Reaction score
I may end up staying with Verizon, getting a new phone before the tiered data plans and just not upgrading for a very long time.

jayman350

Reaction score
The timing is all screwed up. I was hoping to get the S2. Oh well....

well if you look at it from VZW's perspective the timing is perfect. They released a slew of sub-par phones (some with issues, some just older tech) and now have leaked info about the tiered data plans.

They have put their customers in the position of 1. Upgrade to a phone that you don't really want to lock in your unlimited plan, 2. Wait until a phone you do like comes out and take your chances with being grandfathered in, or 3. Jump ship and go elsewhere.

I'm stuck until December w/ my contract. I'm eligible for an early upgrade now, with the full discount coming in August. So by then I should know what the deal is w/ being grandfathered in. If I can't upgrade my phone and keep unlimited I think I'm going to be going w/ option 3.

electric6

Reaction score
Oh yea..almost forgot. When I first heard about Verizon and tiered data plans months ago I was looking at AT&T hard since it actually might be better in my area.

IF they grandfather us with our unlimited plans, I might be with Verizon for life.
I was just told that YES we would be grandfathered in BUT our plans are device specific. Meaning that once you get a new device you will have to sign up with a new plan. That's even if you purchase the device out right. It is indeed a sad day today:icon_ nono2:

I see that as a possibility, but it doesn't sound like something they would do to us. I mean that's just hardcore, and would not promote renewals or upgrades at all. Folks would keep their phones for 3+ years, just to save money. I don't believe it would happen like that, just too hard on their customer base.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

SithDroid2187

Reaction score
My question is, if they are going to officially reveal plans on July 7th, does that mean they go into effect that day? I would think they would have to give some sort of grace period between announcement and official start date.

huskur

Reaction score
Oh yea..almost forgot. When I first heard about Verizon and tiered data plans months ago I was looking at AT&T hard since it actually might be better in my area.

I was just told that YES we would be grandfathered in BUT our plans are device specific. Meaning that once you get a new device you will have to sign up with a new plan. That's even if you purchase the device out right. It is indeed a sad day today:icon_ nono2:

I see that as a possibility, but it doesn't sound like something they would do to us. I mean that's just hardcore, and would not promote renewals or upgrades at all. Folks would keep their phones for 3+ years, just to save money. I don't believe it would happen like that, just too hard on their customer base.

Nope. They are doing it. It's true. Just spent an hour on the phone with them on the new pricing. This sucks for me. I am not overly heavy in using data. I use 3 to 4.5 monthly. Not sure what path i will be taking. As i said before....if i am subject to use wifi i might as well save the money an not have a smartphone. I can get a Xoom or Ipad 2 and use free wifi. Hate to do it but it looks like the path i may take.

TXPearl

Reaction score
This sucks. AT&T charges $25/mo. for 2GB of data. VZW is no longer competitive.

electric6

Reaction score

Nope. They are doing it. It's true. Just spent an hour on the phone with them on the new pricing. This sucks for me. I am not overly heavy in using data. I use 3 to 4.5 monthly. Not sure what path i will be taking. As i said before....if i am subject to use wifi i might as well save the money an not have a smartphone. I can get a Xoom or Ipad 2 and use free wifi. Hate to do it but it looks like the path i may take.

Dude that is ridiculous, I hod to the almighty it is actually not like that. I would wait for their official announcement, that would push away ALOT of existing customers - over to attmobile. This economy is too bad to be screwing current customers like that lol. Maybe your rep was right, but I betting not. I would just buy a new thunderbolt every two years, until they stopped manufacturing them. Then who knows what...

TBV

Reaction score
You would be surprised how many people with smartphones don't even know they can connect to their wifi network. I have met a few of those people myself. I told them why not use there wifi because it is faster, and they say "i don't know. I didn't know you could do that".

The other part is those who do not realize that when the leave their house ot wherever else they were using Wifi to connect, their phone is not automatically connected to the network, is searching for Wifi, and hence drains the battery within a couple of hours.

In our store I come across at least 1 customer per day that is complaining about battery life, I check the widgets, and they will have Wifi and more than likely GPS on...I educate them on how and why they need to manage those connections and send them on their way.

What it comes down to (I am of course generalizing) is the vast majority of end-users simply do not take the time to learn how to use their devices (full manuals are easily downloadable online, and most carriers have interactive how-to simulators on their websites), or take into account that the advanced device they have purchased is a computer that needs to be maintained like a computer by periodically clearing out caches, installing software updates, soft resets/reboots, and backup their important data such as contacts, pictures, and other media in case of technical problems.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
So does anyone know about this question I asked earlier?

So I can get unlimited on the feature phone and keep it until I get a smartphone, even after the switch to tiered? If so then that's what I'm going to do.

electric6

Reaction score
So does anyone know about this question I asked earlier?

So I can get unlimited on the feature phone and keep it until I get a smartphone, even after the switch to tiered? If so then that's what I'm going to do.

From my experience, no that is not an option. They are two different kind of devices, so carrying over unlimited wouldnt work. Don't quote me on it, but when I was with att they did the same thing, and I've heard the topic come up when I went to my local big red store to get my tb.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Yes i believe you can do that. The issue i have is that switching to a 4G phone causes not a contract renewal but a brand new contract to be taken out which means Verizon slaps the new prices onto you.

it, I'll stay with unl. 3G for so long that it gets damn near abandoned by everyone else and I'll have the whole network to myself. whee.....8 year old dsl speeds for life.....dancedro¡d?

Last edited by a moderator:

bplewis24

Reaction score
Here is an e-mail I sent verizon about this issue:

Here is the reply I received from Verizon:

If you were to upgrade to a new Smart phone, you will have to change to one of the data plans of your choice

Seems pretty clear to me despite the pretty phrasing.

Uh oh. So then IF THIS is true (I love playing this "if" game), would I be able to purchase a phone outright off-contract and activate it and still have my old unlimited plan?

Brandon