[Updated] Verizon To Officially Reveal Tiered Data Plans July 7th; Plans Leaked Below

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Remember all the fuss over some new thing that happened around the time the iPhone came to Verizon?. It was only for new customers then too.

Only thing I'm mad about is not doing that Friends and Family deal. Does anyone now if that reset your upgrade date? I cant remember why I never did it.

jseah

Reaction score
Remember all the fuss over some new thing that happened around the time the iPhone came to Verizon?. It was only for new customers then too.

Only thing I'm mad about is not doing that Friends and Family deal. Does anyone now if that reset your upgrade date? I cant remember why I never did it.

It didn't reset the upgrade date. It only extended your contract one year from the date that you signed up for the promotion. When I did it, my "oldest" line was just a few days past one year into my contract, so the promotion only extended my contract 6 days.

loki993

Reaction score
Well I think ill give it until they make to official announcement to be sure, but this could be the last straw. With all the things V$ has been doing over the past year in an effort to "reduce" costs I was really hoping that they would have passed that on to the consumer. It now seems all that had only been done to make even more money off of us.

If it was just one or 2 things I would be more understandable, but it seems like its one thing after another and it doesnt seem like their too concerned about us anymore.

My next phone may very well be an EVO 3D.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^To me, the only things Verizon has done recently that stuck with me is getting rid of the 30 day return policy and annual upgrades.

I guess whatever else Verizon has done effects specific ppl? I just cant remember anything else that effects me personally.

Vakharn

Reaction score
Here is an e-mail I sent verizon about this issue:

I understand that Verizon will be implementing tiered data plans for smartphones as of July 7th. One of my lines, xxx-xxx-xxxx has a smartphone with an unlimited data plan. This line will be eligible for an upgrade in early August. I would like to know whether upgrading the phone on this line (thus renewing my contract) will transfer this line to a tiered data plan or if I will be able to keep my unlimited data at the same price I have been paying. I was planning to upgrade to a 4g phone. Please inform me if upgrading my phone will force a change to a tiered data plan. If it will, will I be able to keep my unlimited data plan when my contract renews in December if I do not upgrade my phone or instead upgrade to another 3g phone?

Thank you

Here is the reply I received from Verizon:

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our web site. My name is _______ and it is my understanding you would like to know what data plans would be made available to you if you upgrade to a new Smart phone. Resolving your concerns has become my top priority. In reviewing the account, I show you have been a valued customer since 2004 and we certainly appreciate your business. Mr. _____, beginning July 7, 2011 Verizon Wireless will introduce usage based data packages for Basic Phones, Smart phones and devices that use Mobile Broadband service. If you were to upgrade to a new Smart phone, you will have to change to one of the data plans of your choice. Below I have provided the options along with pricing for each plan.

· Pay per Use -$0
· 75 MB -$10 (Basic Phones only)
· Note: Includes Mobile Email, VZ Navigator and Ring back Tones (monthly subscriptions included for a limited time).
· 2 GB -$30 New!
· 5 GB -$50 New!
· 10 GB -$80 New!

Mr. _____, I certainly hope the information I have provided regarding the new data plans has been most helpful. Should you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to reply to this email. I want to thank you for allowing Verizon Wireless to provide all of your wireless needs. We appreciate your business and have a wonderful day.

Seems pretty clear to me despite the pretty phrasing.

electric6

Reaction score
Here is an e-mail I sent verizon about this issue:

I understand that Verizon will be implementing tiered data plans for smartphones as of July 7th. One of my lines, xxx-xxx-xxxx has a smartphone with an unlimited data plan. This line will be eligible for an upgrade in early August. I would like to know whether upgrading the phone on this line (thus renewing my contract) will transfer this line to a tiered data plan or if I will be able to keep my unlimited data at the same price I have been paying. I was planning to upgrade to a 4g phone. Please inform me if upgrading my phone will force a change to a tiered data plan. If it will, will I be able to keep my unlimited data plan when my contract renews in December if I do not upgrade my phone or instead upgrade to another 3g phone?

Thank you

Here is the reply I received from Verizon:

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our web site. My name is _______ and it is my understanding you would like to know what data plans would be made available to you if you upgrade to a new Smart phone. Resolving your concerns has become my top priority. In reviewing the account, I show you have been a valued customer since 2004 and we certainly appreciate your business. Mr. _____, beginning July 7, 2011 Verizon Wireless will introduce usage based data packages for Basic Phones, Smart phones and devices that use Mobile Broadband service. If you were to upgrade to a new Smart phone, you will have to change to one of the data plans of your choice. Below I have provided the options along with pricing for each plan.

· Pay per Use -$0
· 75 MB -$10 (Basic Phones only)
· Note: Includes Mobile Email, VZ Navigator and Ring back Tones (monthly subscriptions included for a limited time).
· 2 GB -$30 New!
· 5 GB -$50 New!
· 10 GB -$80 New!

Mr. _____, I certainly hope the information I have provided regarding the new data plans has been most helpful. Should you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to reply to this email. I want to thank you for allowing Verizon Wireless to provide all of your wireless needs. We appreciate your business and have a wonderful day.

Seems pretty clear to me despite the pretty phrasing.

We cannot forget that these are not "officially" official yet. I'm pretty sure you would be grandfathered in as long as you already have unlimited data. DL has been following this pretty closely:

Current Verizon Customers Won’t Ever Be Affected by Tiered Data, Only New Customers and Lines? - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

So whatever a telesales/customer service agent may say, grandfathering would be the appropriate result. There is no difference in 3G/4G plans. They both cost the same, and they both are unlimited right now. The new plans make no differentiation on them either. Expect to be grandfathered!

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oh yea..almost forgot. When I first heard about Verizon and tiered data plans months ago I was looking at AT&T hard since it actually might be better in my area.

IF they grandfather us with our unlimited plans, I might be with Verizon for life.

huskur

Reaction score
Oh yea..almost forgot. When I first heard about Verizon and tiered data plans months ago I was looking at AT&T hard since it actually might be better in my area.

IF they grandfather us with our unlimited plans, I might be with Verizon for life.
I was just told that YES we would be grandfathered in BUT our plans are device specific. Meaning that once you get a new device you will have to sign up with a new plan. That's even if you purchase the device out right. It is indeed a sad day today:icon_ nono2:

TBV

Reaction score
"To anyone who is royally peeved about this leaked announcement, don't voice your anger at Verizon.

Voice your anger towards the thousands of rooters who illegally tethered hundreds of thousands of GBs a month by running their home network through the Verizon data plan. Verizon didn't have to do this, but the incessant selfishness of the idiotic few completely forced their hands, and now we ALL have to pay for it.

So to you, the idiot abuser who streamed 200GB per month in data while using their phone as a router, PS3/XBox server, while downloading and uploading countless amounts of Torrents, I want to personally thank you for gouging our pockets in the future. You are awesome! Hope the Torrents of SpongeBob and the blazing speeds while playing Halo or Modern Warfare were totally worth it."

You make great points my friend and I commend you for stating something that many simply do not take into consideration as to the 'why' a change like this has been made (or at least a portion of the (why').

With that being said, I work for VZW and found out about this by accident yesterday morning before the official release by going into our intranet looking to see if we had any trainings I had not been told about. Came across this and was not at all happy.

I really do not like it (as a customer) to go from unlimited to 2 Gigs for the same amount of money I have been paying, and am concerned as an employee with this 2Gb being $5 more than our closest competitor...It will be really interesting to see how this effects our business...

I did a usage analysis of the lines on my plan and my daughter (who lives elsewhere) uses about 2.25 GB/month, and VZW is now telling me she should have to pay $50? That's ridiculous!

At least they could have offered a $20 1 gig plan for those like myself who use Wifi when at home, which reduces my monthly usage to about 750 MB/month.

What I also don't like is that this pushes my decision to upgrade or not before July 7th (to be grandfathered in), in that I really wanted to wait until the Samsung S2 rather than get the Charge for my next device, and even though my usage says I do not need unlimited (at present), just out of principle I do not want to pay the same amount I have been paying for limited data. :icon_evil:

I knew the change was inevitable, but the pricing is simply not very attractive to me. TBV

wseyller

Reaction score
You would be surprised how many people with smartphones don't even know they can connect to their wifi network. I have met a few of those people myself. I told them why not use there wifi because it is faster, and they say "i don't know. I didn't know you could do that".