[Updated] Verizon To Officially Reveal Tiered Data Plans July 7th; Plans Leaked Below

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Minor Update to Story

There has been a slight update to the story, that confirms the timeframe of the tiered plans.
Update June 21st: Big Red’s executive director of corporate communications, Brenda Raney made the following email comment to AllThingsD confirming the July time-frame of this article, "We will move to a more usage based model in July. We’ll share more later." There is still no word yet on whether the leaked pricing plans are accurate, but there have been no denials either, which does not bode well.

Chocula78

Reaction score
I wish the carriers would offer a pay per gb plan instead of a 2 gb/month plan. This would nullify the claims that tiered data save casual users money and penalize power users. If you had to spend $30/2 gb and you only use 300 mb/month, well that 2gb will last you ~6.5+ months. If you are a power user who uses 5 gb/month, well then you'll be paying the equivalent of $50/month.

This is the ideal structure for the customer, but we all know the providers aren't about making the customer happy. Just their stockholders.

If everyone is truly unhappy with how Big Red is handling data, write them an email. letter, tweet. Threaten to leave. It MIGHT make them change somethings. More likely a vast exodus to Sprint or prepaid providers would do more though.

bplewis24

Reaction score
Well, my brother was planning on migrating his family to Verizon in like October or something (when his contracts with TMobile are up). So I'm trying to convince him to upgrade before July 7th.

Does Verizon have any of those plans in place where they will give you a $200 credit if you break contract with another carrier to come to them?

Brandon

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I asked this question on Droid Life and I got a pretty good answer but I'll ask here just to double check.

I don't have data or a smartphone now but If I were to buy a smartphone now (out of contract) and get data, would I be able to keep unlimited data after 7/7?

Also I have a feature phone now because I'm waiting on something like the D3 or Bionic. Would I go to tiered data if I got unlimited data for my feature phone now then bought a smartphone later?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You would need to have unlimited on your contract before the date in order to have it until death (or whatever).

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

iGrizz

Reaction score
Lol I don't know what all the fuss is about. I just checked my data usage and I have only used .245 GB. Out bill cycle ends July 15th and since 4G came to my area I have been using data nonstop.

A 1-2 GB data plan would be perfect for me. My parents and sisters combined don't even use more data than I do.

Sent from Chocolate Thunder!

Modwild

Reaction score
Honestly, I'd be willing to pay $100 for reliable 4G unlimited data. I'd like an a la carte plan. Low minutes, low texts and high data. I do not tether, and have never tethered. However, I have crappy wifi in my office. I watch tv all day on my phone and have been averaging 7GB of data per month.

I had NO IDEA 4G would make such a huge difference in my life. I absolutely adore it and am not bothered to pay for it. However, if it comes to a point where I have to cut my home internet and tether because the two are too much, then I guess I'll learn to tether and hope the VZ gods give me a unlimited data plan.

Detonation

Reaction score
Honestly, I'd be willing to pay $100 for reliable 4G unlimited data. I'd like an a la carte plan. Low minutes, low texts and high data. I do not tether, and have never tethered. However, I have crappy wifi in my office. I watch tv all day on my phone and have been averaging 7GB of data per month.

I had NO IDEA 4G would make such a huge difference in my life. I absolutely adore it and am not bothered to pay for it. However, if it comes to a point where I have to cut my home internet and tether because the two are too much, then I guess I'll learn to tether and hope the VZ gods give me a unlimited data plan.

I would love if Verizon could release an all in one, unlimited mobile and home internet package (with pricing that is competitive with what separate home internet + mobile data plans cost). I mentioned this to a rep in the store once and he said they couldn't do it due to antitrust laws, at least in my area.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
This is really going to suck. I mean android users use the most data out of all mobile o's. If this really happens im switching from Verizon and just deal with Sprint's android phones..none of which I like

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I already have an unlimited data plan, what does this mean for me?

I believe you get to keep yours since this only applies to new lines and customers. I'm just trying to figure out if I get unlimited now for a feature phone, will it stay or will I have to get a smartphone to keep unlimited data after this switch.

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
You should be able to add it to a feature phone. My son had unlimited on his Samsung Rogue before I bought him a used Incredible.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
So I can get unlimited on the feature phone and keep it until I get a smartphone, even after the switch to tiered? If so then that's what I'm going to do.