[Updated] Verizon To Officially Reveal Tiered Data Plans July 7th; Plans Leaked Below

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
The most obvious things to tell whether a user is tethering would be user not directed to the mobile site, using Firefox/IE/Chrome, OS signatures etc.

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Your paranoia makes me laugh people. The new tiered pricing will only effect new data plans and if you change your data plan. I have been told by two people in the know, that not only will I keep my unlimited data but it will also remain $9.99 a month even on 4G as long as I keep a $29.99 data plan. ($20.00 friends and family holiday discount). Now if I add a fourth line after tiered pricing goes into effect, that line would be screwed. The only way Verizon is gouging is by scaring people to upgrade early to buy these subpar LTE devices (and yeah they are also getting new customers in droves to lock up unlimited data). As Huskur said, if you're unlimited now, you sill be unlimited until you die or cancel.

And for what its worth, this was also confirmed by a third person, albeit a 611 representative, who did seem quite knowledgeable.

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
Grandfathered through even device upgrades would be tremendous good news.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Yeah no kidding. Just reading that I was telling myself I was just going to stop using a cell phone all together. Because if you think about it...landline phones with UNLIMITED CALLING to anywhere and Road Runner internet would net you tons less in $$$ per month than if you had just used Verizon. The only fall-back is that can't bring it with you. That's all we're really paying for, the portability.

That's the keyword right now (above in bold). And yes, the infrastructure can't support unlimited even though the carriers advertised the <bleep> out of unlimited. Agreed with the mods here ---- if they're going to charge us for tiered data, let us tether!

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
I don't even use one gig in any given month, so bring it Verizon. But I do think a 1GB plan should be offered.

Sent by my Bolt powered by Thunder

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
yeah i'm hoping they have a lower then 2GB/$30 tier that just hasnt been announced or leaked yet haha

Beka27

Reaction score

bplewis24

Reaction score
yeah i'm hoping they have a lower then 2GB/$30 tier that just hasnt been announced or leaked yet haha

That would really be great. Even 1GB for $20 would make me pretty happy. I just checked my data usage yesterday, and I have 3 days left in my billing cycle and I'm at about 850MB.

The last three months I've finished at 300MB, 500MB and once 900MB. I would be perfectly content if I typically paid $20/month and every once in a while got an overage of $10 (which would be what I used to pay monthly anyway).

Brandon

Deano2423

Reaction score
I guess my only question(s) would be. If I have a family plan and never change it will:

1. We be able to upgrade phones (without changing the plan) and keep the unlimited data plans we have?

2. Are 4G phones included in that upgrade if I/we only have 3G phones right now?

rushmore

Reaction score
Current Verizon Customers Won’t Ever Be Affected by Tiered Data, Only New Customers and Lines? - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Droid Life is also saying this will only be for new contracts and new lines on existing contracts. As usual, folks are making a big deal without knowing all of the facts.

I feel bad for the people who are going to jump onto a "lesser" phone just to make the 7/7 cut-off, when it doesn't really matter one way or another.

A lot of current 4G device sales were due to "locking in" 4G unlimited for two years, due to this. The problem with that ration of thought is VZW contracts (up until now) do not differentiate between 3G and 4G. Both are same unlimited web plan. Your usr profile will show LTE, but the contract does not and that is what matters (per VZW rep).

bplewis24

Reaction score
According to the leaked images in the Droid Life article and in other threads, YES you WOULD be able to upgrade to new 4G phones without losing unlimited.

Honestly, this is the best news I've heard from Verizon (if true) in the last 6 months or so. All of this speculation about data tiers and when it will happen has been pretty doom & gloom(y), so if it's only for new customers, I'll be elated.

Now just give me a damn phone worth upgrading to!

Brandon

BeGood

Reaction score
Check your usage

I thought this link will help people out. Although some say people abused their data plan, with this it appears does not take much. Because of my streaming music at work and on the road, doing any facebook, checking the web, you will eat it up. Based on link. Hope it helps.

AT&T Data Calculator

rushmore

Reaction score

That would really be great. Even 1GB for $20 would make me pretty happy. I just checked my data usage yesterday, and I have 3 days left in my billing cycle and I'm at about 850MB.

The last three months I've finished at 300MB, 500MB and once 900MB. I would be perfectly content if I typically paid $20/month and every once in a while got an overage of $10 (which would be what I used to pay monthly anyway).

Brandon

I corporate rep told me that VZW are seriously considering a family data plan where all use the same data total for one price. I have seen rumors posted, but this was the first time a person that works for them mentioned it was brought up during a regional meeting.