[Updated] Verizon Plans To Eliminate 'Grandfathered' 3G Unlimited Data Plans

monkey_man

Reaction score
I saw that Father Day Sale ads for T-Mobile. It doesn't include SGS III, so this might not be for you if you already own high end phone. This is why Wireless Competitors are so smart !!!!!:icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek: They are creating different plans just to avoid similarity... but in the end the monthly payment is about the same. Value wise... if I am a new Wireless customer, then T-Mobile is the best choice out of all.

flamewalker

Reaction score
For 2 smartphones and 4gb of data, this would actually save about $20/mo over 2 separate accounts... And the text and calling are unlimited. Basically the $40 "access fee" is for unlimited text and voice, then you chose how much data you want. For multiple devices, you really can save money over the current rates, depending on how much data you use.

But really? $50 for 1gb??? I'm sorry but that's just ridiculous even if it does save money on multiple smartphone accounts... Also feature phone accounts get screwed too...

This would make my bill more expensive as a standalone customer tho... They really need to keep something for solo contracts that won't chomp our noses off to spite our faces...I think I will be sticking to my current plan for the current time.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I really hope ATT doesn't screw this up. This could be very good for them. I've talked to a lot of people without letting them know how I feel and many are thinking of going to ATT. It's stunning to me that VZW thinks they won't lose many customers. They will lose a lot.
This won't effect me as mine is paid for through work, but if I was paying: I'd be jumping to TMobile or ATT...
When my wife gets a new iPhone next Feb, we wil certainly shop ATT. Un;ess TMobile finally gets an iPhone.

iGrizz

Reaction score
Looks like I will have to research which carrier has the best service whichever AFB I get stationed at. Really don't like ATT, heard too many bad things so I'm going to jump to TMobile or Sprint.

sonixmon

Reaction score
Did you mean T-Mobile offers a reduced monthly rate when buying full retail or did you mean that when upgrading your phone at a retail location like Best Buy you get a lower monthly rate?

I meant if you pay full price (not subsidised price) the monthly plans are cheaper!

Actually, starting tomorrow (06/14 and 06/15) you can get ANY 4G LTE phone T-Mobile has for free with a new 2 year plan. You can get 2 gigs data, unlimited everything else for as low as $29 a month.

Actually you wont get the $30-$50 a month plans with the free phones, only prepaid. Also T-Mobile doesnt have 4G LTE, all 4G are not created equal.

Last edited:

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
sonixmon said:
I meant if you pay full price (not subsidised price) the monthly plans are cheaper!

Well that's a good move. That's exactly what I was arguing for. Because I don't see the difference between $600 up front vs $200 then an extra $400+ over 2 years. One can get the same result AND save money over the long term but no one wants to delay gratification.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well that's a good move. That's exactly what I was arguing for. Because I don't see the difference between $600 up front vs $200 then an extra $400+ over 2 years. One can get the same result AND save money over the long term but no one wants to delay gratification.

I can see where carriers want you to pay full price so they don't have to pick up the subsidized amount, but I think it's funny that T-Mo's approach is to offer you savings over the long run with cheaper plans if you don't buy subsidized, but Verizon's approach is to threaten to take away something you love (unlimited data) if you do go subsidized. Sort of the incentive vs threat concept.

King_Bean

Reaction score
I can see where carriers want you to pay full price so they don't have to pick up the subsidized amount, but I think it's funny that T-Mo's approach is to offer you savings over the long run with cheaper plans if you don't buy subsidized, but Verizon's approach is to threaten to take away something you love (unlimited data) if you do go subsidized. Sort of the incentive vs threat concept.

Right. Verizon is so graciously (*rolls eyes*) allowing you to keep your unlimited if you don't buy subsidised. So, T-Mobile offers saving for buying unsibsidized, while Verizon "offers" unlimited data for buying unsibsidized.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Right. Verizon is so graciously (*rolls eyes*) allowing you to keep your unlimited if you don't buy subsidised. So, T-Mobile offers saving for buying unsibsidized, while Verizon "offers" unlimited data for buying unsibsidized.

Yulp, but only if you were lucky/smart enough to get on that boat before it set sail... if you don't have unlimited right now, there really is zero incentive to not buy a subsidized phone (unless the freedom to jump carriers within the next 2 years is worth a couple hundred dollars to someone).

sonixmon

Reaction score
Two days left before D Day (end of Unlimited Data upgrades) anyone going to make the plunge?

layitlo

Reaction score
I can't upgrade my phone till nov this year. But I have been looking at my internet usage and have realized it would suck to go from unlimited to only 4gig for the same price. But I have been using less then 1gig on it. And if I need more then that I can also use wifi on it too. So it won't be to bad for me. But I do still think it's not right for them to give us something and then take it away. It was one of the reasons I chose to go with them.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I can't upgrade my phone till nov this year. But I have been looking at my internet usage and have realized it would suck to go from unlimited to only 4gig for the same price. But I have been using less then 1gig on it. And if I need more then that I can also use wifi on it too. So it won't be to bad for me. But I do still think it's not right for them to give us something and then take it away. It was one of the reasons I chose to go with them.

Call Verizon, tell them when you're upgrade is and that you want an early upgrade. That's what I did. At first they said they couldn't, but if you say you will extend your contract 2 years and you know that they can get a 'Supervisors Approval' they should let you upgrade.

MAMBA24ILL

Reaction score
Anyone talked to a "clueless" rep when it comes to unlimited going away. Seems like most of the reps i've spoken with don't know what i'm talking about. Went to upgrade & pre-order the GS3 yesterday & the store wouldn't accept cash. WTF

nikecar

Reaction score
i've been telling my friends here to do it but they haven't. their loss.