Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, May 16, 2012.
That's why it's called an analogy.
Oh My Goodness... been weeks so slow and jumped to quite few pages:biggrin::blink:.
Here are some lists I gather of the discussion of Unlimited data so far:
1. It is in our culture to be selfish with others as long as it doesn't affect them, so this debate really nothing new (known worldwide too lol). Just sad that there are still not enough internet coverage in US and how some people being ignorant and selfish about this issue (answers like Move out of there or pay more for that satellite coverage). Funny thing is where I ironically read news about the need of third world country in Africa to access the world via Internet (they built towers, and now local people can access internet).
2. People refused to believe SquireCA about Throttling and Capping as we are talking about AMERICA. Heck, these companies wouldn't and couldn't believe that many Americans didn't do much to challenge it. Trust me I know lol..... many of these executives have implemented throttling and capping elsewhere but America just because they didn't believe they could pull it off. I guess they are such a happy camper now.
3. Phones today are not like the phones back in the day... this may sounds silly ofc for it just that Obvious! Phones are now capable to process things that before can only be done via PC. Users are now capable of using phones to completely replace Desktop/ Laptop. Forget tethering such as foxfi etc. to lay the blame at. The fact of the matter is Verizon are losing their $30 tethering program as now everything can be done via phone with HDMI output. Would you be willing to pay $60 to keep unlimited?
4. Please don't be rude to say that data hoggers are jobless or have no life. Technology are so advance nowadays, and like I have said before; phones today are capable to process things faster and with fast 4G LTE... everything move so seamlessly. (Shammo admitted this too that their fast 4G enable them to tinker some things up... and I know we wouldn't have this discussion if there are no 4G). People are lazy or in better word unable to carry around bulk stuff to do things on laptop or desktop via USB dongle or phone tethering hence will impact data usage. Now as phone are so powerful and mobile... they can sync and let datas flow like Niagara falls while they are working or still having normal social life with phone untouched.
5. $30 for blazing fast 4G LTE is way to cheap in compare to many home internets.... Like I said before... Verizon are a Premium company... but who are willing to increase their bill when so many already complained about paying near $200 monthly payment when in fact we should be paying around $250 in today's economy?
6. We are unknowingly live on a caste system. What do I mean by this? Like Peter Russel once said during his stand up that there are different type of cheapness. Things where people feel that the price "is just right". We all know that so many ISP are doing promotion to attract new customers where they supposedly charged $60, but because you are new... you can lock up 2 years contract for just $20. This ofc will bring more people on their network. $60 should bring them 2 millions but with their $20 programs... it adds 10 Millions people to their network and of course it will slow down the network. Here is where the terms beggars can't be choosers where people complained of not getting their intended speed as they paid for it... or I will drop your service if I can't keep the $20 price.....
7. I see more angry masses of people demanded Unlimited from expensive ISP provider compare to cheap ISP provider like ATT.
8. Add all of that problems caused by internet revolution with people watching TVs in their computer instead of paying cable companies or movie theaters, and the fact that MPAA/RIAA taking people to court just not effective enough... The only solution is to cap what people can use in order to slow things down abit. They think now it just better to take small steps to make people who used to download 10,000 songs into just 2500 songs for an example, and as we know it.... censoring what we can know and listen to is unconstitutional.
9. I don't know the impact of having cell towers near people's home.... I don't think it's that easy to just built new towers without opposition and compensation in hope of better coverage and speed. Just like I read news about an electrical company getting sued or rejected to build power plant in an empty lot due to safety concern.
Like I said tho if we don't take precautions then be prepare to have more limited freedom each day.
In the end it comes down to this: 4G LTE is very fast. There is no doubt about that. That is one reason I do not use wifi. Everywhere I go I am in a 4G area for the most part. The second reason is because I shouldn't have to use my wifi. That is what you pay data on your phone for. What if someone doesn't have wifi at home? I am sure there are alot of people like that out there.
But this is what I ultimately think---VZW knows that "foxfi" is out there. They know PDAnet is there and the possibilities of be a home based internet/bandwidth source is there. They have to stop that part. People will start dropping their home based ISP's and just use their phone as a hotspot which would put a serious strain on the network.
On a side note....if I wanted to use wifi all the time I wouldn't need a smartphone. I would have a standard phone and a small tablet. I hate the fact that I am going to have to always be on the "lookout" on my data and nervous about "daddy can I watch Netflix on your phone?" or "can we skype Grandpa?" Thats crap. For $30 a month I should get at least 8GBs or somewhere around that. The worry part sucks. I use around 2.5 to 3.5 monthly. Sometimes less, sometimes more.
I have 2 smartphones on my plan, thats $60 in data charges. I also have 2 standard phones on my plan. For $60 a month I should get 10GB for to use for both phones and be able to share the data. My wifes phone barely hits 1GB a month. In this scenario I wouldn't have to worry as much. I am not a data hog. I just don't like cap limits that are imposed when VZW is telling you to use all the apps and they are data intensive. It's a serious time to consider my real needs. I hate to have to do that but it is financially not worth it nor worth the headaches of the last week of your plan having to worry about checking an email without being charged out your a$$ if you go over.
I go over to 2gb a month on a consistent basis. No crazy useage, average 2.5-3.5gb. Some months when i travel more i use more.I use the phone as advertised as i said before.
Download or stream podcasts on my drive to work everyday/working out/mowing the yard
Stream netflix or hulu when sitting idle at the airport or bus/train station
Download app updates/download and try new apps
Preloaded bloat apps alone eat up data
That being said im on a family plan and the other 2 lines do not have as much data usage. Its nice to have that unlimited for the just in case
Hey man, are you me? That is EXACTLY the scenario I am in and the way you use your phone and the usage you have is pretty identical to me.
I use my phone in the same manner. As advertised.
Watching netflix, Nfl mobile, Pandora/Slacker radio is also normal usage but that throws a wrench in daily usage for alot of people. You know, we will just have to wait and see how it plays out. I am not sweating it. Having a smartphone is nice but I can live without it (and save some cash) if need be.
but if i have to go with a 2gb cap ill consider going with a non-smartphone and a tablet to use with wifi
I can make a 100% promise that if I am stuck with a 2GB cap that I will have a non-smartphone and a small tablet just as you and save $30 a month. At the very least I bet we are offered at least 4GB like is being offered now. If we are indeed forced into tiered data maybe they will use the bucket system and give me 8GB between the 2 phones I have. I would be totally safe then. We can then share the data. Who knows? We will have to wait and see
The only problem is a lot of the non-smartphones are so barebones/cheap feeling now. I use mine the same way both huskur and droid.user. Although recently I have been using less since my battery is not lasting as long (take off charger at 7am, normal use, needs to be hooked up to charger around 2pm).
Sent from my Transformer TF101 using DroidForums
As I mentioned before if it is not affordable, I will be switching to T-Mobile pay as you go with the best Samsung that is available. The $60 unlimited (2GB @ 4G) is the best option IMO!
Isn't it T-Mo pre-paid that has the unlimited 4G (throttled after 5GB) and unlimited text with 100 talk for $30 a month??? That sounds like an amazing deal (to me at least).
Found the answer myself: Prepaid Cell Plans | No Contract Plans | Text, Talk or Web | T-Mobile