[Updated] Verizon Plans To Eliminate 'Grandfathered' 3G Unlimited Data Plans

sonixmon

Reaction score
Just as an aside...article in the WSJ today - the demand for mobile data has been doubling every year (mostly adoption/sales growth). The FCC estimates the demand for spectrum will exceed supply by 2013!

So there you have it.

Honestly I agree with the elimination of the unlimited (don't shoot me people). I like the shared data option, but they need to really work on the cost per GB. I mean data usage has gone way up per device, your eliminating an unlimited for $30 that could be 5-10-50? GB so be reasonable with the per GB cost.

IMO the cost per GB will make or break this deal! Oh and if enough people start jumping ship, trust me they will notice! I estimate that in 10+ years with Verizon I have paid them over $10,000. Wow, in perspective that is a lot of money, I could have been making car payments!

ndtaylor77

Reaction score
sonixmon said:
Honestly I agree with the elimination of the unlimited (don't shoot me people). I like the shared data option, but they need to really work on the cost per GB. I mean data usage has gone way up per device, your eliminating an unlimited for $30 that could be 5-10-50? GB so be reasonable with the per GB cost.

IMO the cost per GB will make or break this deal! Oh and if enough people start jumping ship, trust me they will notice! I estimate that in 10+ years with Verizon I have paid them over $10,000. Wow, in perspective that is a lot of money, I could have been making car payments!

I agree completely. +1

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score

I'd almost be willing to bet money the cost per gigabyte will remain the same. There will be a 10 dollar per line fee for sharing data. So 2 people share 2 GB for 50 bucks (30 for data and 20 for each line) instead of the 60 bucks it would be if they each had a 2 GB plan. Verizon's goal isn't to save the consumer money. Its to remove bandwidth hogs (or at least limit them) on their network. Now Verizon may surprise me and do something different but I'm not holding my breath. If the cost difference is significant enough, I may end up staying with them instead of leaving for a prepaid GSM network.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

But if demand is going to outpace supply, then there won't be anywhere for anyone to go for cheaper prices. You're talking about a situation where prices will only go up, because there is a shortage of capacity.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
But if demand is going to outpace supply, then there won't be anywhere for anyone to go for cheaper prices. You're talking about a situation where prices will only go up, because there is a shortage of capacity.

There's not really a shortage of supply (yet). Cable companies have loads of unused spectrum but every sale has to be approved by the government to avoid monopolistic activity.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
There's not really a shortage of supply (yet). Cable companies have loads of unused spectrum but every sale has to be approved by the government to avoid monopolistic activity.

The article was by Randall Stephenson, Chairman & CEO of AT&T. He says once the auction of cable spectrum goes thru, it will take 6-8 years to put it to use.

And regardless of additional spectrum being available, that doesn't change the near-term economics of racing quickly toward under-capacity. People are whining about "greedy VZW", but they have little choice given the current situation other than to reign in and limit usage.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
The article was by Randall Stephenson, Chairman & CEO of AT&T. He says once the auction of cable spectrum goes thru, it will take 6-8 years to put it to use.

And regardless of additional spectrum being available, that doesn't change the near-term economics of racing quickly toward under-capacity. People are whining about "greedy VZW", but they have little choice given the current situation other than to reign in and limit usage.

6 to 8 years huh? I wasn't aware of that. I knew the spectrum couldn't immediately be used, but I had no idea it would take that long to make use of it. It makes the estimates of 2014 spectrum limitations even more worrisome. Like you've mentioned (I believe it was you), we may even see increased cost per gigabyte to account for the "shortage".

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
6 to 8 years huh? I wasn't aware of that. I knew the spectrum couldn't immediately be used, but I had no idea it would take that long to make use of it. It makes the estimates of 2014 spectrum limitations even more worrisome. Like you've mentioned (I believe it was you), we may even see increased cost per gigabyte to account for the "shortage".

Well, grain of salt because it's the AT&T CEO right (being serious)?

But it doesn't sound unreasonable. He mentions forcing speculators sitting on compatible spectrum to sell as an intermediate fix. What I take from the 6-8 year comment, which is probably part hyperbole (got to set off the alarm bells to get movement), is that it takes time to make the investment and build the infrastructure, especially when compatability is a challenge.

From my perspective, VZW is looking at the some 50M customers who don't have smartphones yet and taking steps to ensure quality service is available, and that service remains quality as more and more sign-up. When you're capacity constrained, the free rides and unlimited have to come to an end and everyone will have to pay for what they use. When staring at a capacity shortage, losing some bandwidth hogs is likely viewed as a positive.

monkey_man

Reaction score
I hate and have no respect for that pig aka Randall Stephenson the AT&T CEO. Screw his fear-mongering tactic! 6-8 years :happy3: lol similar to Carmageddon on I405 in California here of which I am grateful for nonetheless. As soon as the project getting approved by the government, they gave the contractors and some dosh of extra dollars, they work pretty quick in this tough economy! :) I don't get with this shortage thing... Internet been around for years!!!!!! I can't and won't believe this "shortage" when there is no oversight by independent watchers to prove such a thing. I would willing to take real reason behind this than to make us like little kids with their cover up. Last time I heard the only shortage of internet is IP numbers :D. All about Equillibrum anyways correct? Too expensive, people will not use internet. e.g. AOL vs DSL. Too cheap and people would start "sharing" things massively which would cut profits from some other sectors e.g. Instead of watching Superbowl in a cluster of one house with 5-10 people, and now with Internet they can stay at home with 1000+ people(This is what I want to hear from these ISP providers to talk about and get some heated discussion about why they want to end unlimited instead of telling us that it's their property and be vague about it). We are moving forward with texting and so why are we accepting going backwards with Internet?? I don't get the money saving from this what so ever. I rather take a peace of mind by the money I paid and the price that they've set than having to monitor usages all the time. We just love Big Brother don't we? :icon_evil:

N4UPD

Reaction score
It has started folks. Verizon has begun the new Share everything plan.Unlimited voice and messages but tiered data from 1 to 10 gigs shared with up to 10 devices.Can't post the link but you can probably Google share everything plan.Good news that the article says you are free to keep your current plan and that is exactly what I'm going to do.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
It has started folks. Verizon has begun the new Share everything plan.Unlimited voice and messages but tiered data from 1 to 10 gigs shared with up to 10 devices.Can't post the link but you can probably Google share everything plan.Good news that the article says you are free to keep your current plan and that is exactly what I'm going to do.

Thanks for the tip.

And HOLY ****!!! Are you kidding me? There's a monthly charge of $40 for each smartphone? Son of a *****...See ya VZ. I'll finish out my contract and I'm off to prepaid GSM. I don't need the minutes...I just need the data.

Last edited:

N4UPD

Reaction score
On FAQ it said in order to upgrade and keep your unlimited plan you have to pay full price for the phone.Looks my upgrades will be few and far between.

nikecar

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip.

And HOLY ****!!! Are you kidding me? There's a monthly charge of $40 for each smartphone? Son of a *****...See ya VZ. I'll finish out my contract and I'm off to prepaid GSM.

I just saw that too. If it wasn't because of that fee, the plans are decent with unlimited calls and txt I beleive, but $40 each smartrphone? I'd have considered the 6gb plan as that is close to I pay now with 2 lines and one of those with a smartphone.

Sent from someplace, and with something that you need not worry about.

cdm369

Reaction score
And the lowest offer is 1 gig for 50$....shared data....really? Wth are these people thinking?

Sent from my HTC REZOUND