Updated to 2.0.1

big_adventure

Reaction score
Because I'm crazy, and was a little bored (my wife went to bed far too early for me...), I went ahead and installed the 2.0.1 update from the file in this post:

ttp://alldroid.org/viewtopic.php?f=259&t=1191&start=19

I did this AFTER rooting using the rooted update.zip file distributed today.

It works, apparently flawlessly. Please read the entire thread and understand what you may be getting yourself into before trying this. If you have any fear (or attachment to 500€ phones that might turn into bricks), you should probably hold off. Definitely don't blame either me or Poseidon if something goes wrong.

The technical details:

Version de micrologiciel: 2.0.1
GAS_EMEA_USASHLS00AZRTEMARA_P016

Version de bande de base: 3GSMEPU91A_U_91.08.15I

Version de la bande de base: UCASHLSEMEAB1B803F.0R

Version de noyau: 2.6.29-omap1 a21146@ca25rhe54 #1

Numéro de build: SHOLS_U2_01.15.0

The home screen is a thousand times smoother, the notification and apps drawers slide instead of bouncing.

No browser problems that I could find - it is fast and clean, and much smoother than 2.0. It automatically reformats text to the screen width when you rotate, and double-tap to zoom worked perfectly on 14 of 15 sites that I tried. The one where it didn't also confused my 3rd gen iPod touch.

All of the 2.1 stuff that I had installed still works. I have not tried the launcher yet (nor am I sure that I will).

Google Nav works in the APK I had installed while still on 2.0, I think.

All of the apps are still in the market. I still get French commentary and French-only apps, like SFR TV and FreeWifi still show up on top of my communications catagory (that's where I live), so using that Italian file doesn't seem to have screwed up my location. I'll test when I get something interesting to test.

The only thing that doesn't seem to work for me now is Voice Search. It can't connect to Google. I'll remove and reinstall and see if that fixes it.

The Superuser Whitelist application is still on the phone and still works, but I don't have any rooted apps, so I can't tell if they work or not. If someone wants me to test one, just point me in the right direction and I will do it.

EDIT: I installed two different terminal emulators. Running su causes the phone to ask if I want to whitelist the terminal app for superuser privs, and if I say yes, the application is added to the list, BUT su does not change me to root (no # prompt). So following my example will lose your root.

Swype still works. Facebook with contact sync works. I took a US APK for that, so I'm not sure if this is a new version or not. Twidroid, Gmail, GTalk, Qik, NewsRob, LeMonde, Astrid, blah blah blah all seem to work perfectly.

Last edited:

newb

Reaction score
Just to check, before I make a mistake: Is the update you installed the one that specifically states 'DO NOT INSTALL' next to it?

If not, where do I get the update from? That seems to be the only one on the page.

EDIT: Never mind - figured it out. Think I'm going to wait for the OTA to arrive in the UK, instead.

Last edited:

DAGr8

Reaction score
EDIT: I installed two different terminal emulators. Running su causes the phone to ask if I want to whitelist the terminal app for superuser privs, and if I say yes, the application is added to the list, BUT su does not change me to root (no # prompt). So following my example will lose your root.

Have you tried choosing 'always ' then retry some user have been experiencing 'hang after clicking yes instead always ' please try clicking 'always then restart the whole thing se if it says permissin denied , because unless you get permission denied you have not been denied SU . # = we win ...
thx for your input , btw was wondering is your keyboard qwerty ? did the letters changedplace after flashing ?

Last edited:
OP
B

big_adventure

Reaction score

Have you tried choosing 'always ' then retry some user have been experiencing 'hang after clicking yes instead always ' please try clicking 'always then restart the whole thing se if it says permissin denied , because unless you get permission denied you have not been denied SU . # = we win ...
thx for your input , btw was wondering is your keyboard qwerty ? did the letters changedplace after flashing ?

I'll try that again. Basically, it hangs trying to start su. If I kill the proc with ctrl-c, it then says permission denied.

My physical keyboard is Azerty, and it still works. My virtual keyboard is Swype, and it still works in English or in French.

Also, it seems (and I am not sure) and the file will not install if your phone does not currently run SHOLS_U2_1.03.3. German phones seem to have a version starting with SHOL5. Brazilian phones are different as well. It didn't hurt their phones to try to launch the file, but it didn't install.

If it doesn't work, you're stuck waiting.

Last edited:

DAGr8

Reaction score
If it doesn't work, you're stuck waiting

Edit: My screen was dark, so I didn't see that it was asking for superuser privs. I clicked "Always", but it still gives me Permission denied.

Sorry to ask for the obvious , but after doing it all , have you retried another time ? with the screen lit to make sure it wouldnt ask yo anything that time ? you obviously have , just wanan make sure ( for all of us who are dying to update but scared to lose privileges)

gallumbits

Reaction score
It turns out that it was the rooted and not the 2.0.1 update.zip. Sry for the wrong info

OP
B

big_adventure

Reaction score
Sorry to ask for the obvious , but after doing it all , have you retried another time ? with the screen lit to make sure it wouldnt ask yo anything that time ? you obviously have , just wanan make sure ( for all of us who are dying to update but scared to lose privileges)

I did - root does not survive. The su and superuser files from the root are still there, but permission is denied and the system does not remember the superuser whitelisting.

Check my posts on Alldroid for more information.

greg_p

Reaction score
Same thing for me: rooted 2.0 and then upgraded to 2.0.1, even with the terminal adb in the whitelist:
Code:
C:\android_sdk\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb shell
$ su
su
su: permission denied
$
Even if the phone ask to allow application for root access.

OP
B

big_adventure

Reaction score

To further clarify, someone with rooted 2.0 sent me their ls -l output for the /system/bin directory. The su file is tagged suid for root (rwsr-xr-x, or 4755) as opposed to mine, which is tagged rwxr-xr-x (aka 755). Someone else (intelligently) bothered to open the run script in the upgrade, and it quite clearly passes a recursive set_perm to 755 on every file in the bin directory.

But they have now figured out how to root 2.0.1 - at least according to a poster on AllDroid.

greg_p

Reaction score
I had my milestone rooted before I upgrade to 2.0.1, and now my su is 755.
Code:
-rwxr-xr-x root     shell        5480 2010-01-19 23:46 su
$ su
su
$
And when I issue a su, I got permission denied on adb shell, although I accept the notification on the phone.
This application was (and still is) present in the whitelist.

OP
B

big_adventure

Reaction score
I had my milestone rooted before I upgrade to 2.0.1, and now my su is 755.
Code:
-rwxr-xr-x root     shell        5480 2010-01-19 23:46 su
$ su
su
$
And when I issue a su, I got permission denied on adb shell, although I accept the notification on the phone.
This application was (and still is) present in the whitelist.

If you look at my reply right above, you'll see that the problem is the missing suid bit for root on the su file. I didn't know it was there, because I never looked in the 11 hours my phone was rooted and on 2.0.

sloopjohnb

Reaction score
Can I update to 2.0.1 using the file on alldroid.org and then go back to my official 2.0? How do I do that?

mpmilestogo

Reaction score
Updated US Milestone

I just updated my US purchased milestone to 2.0.1 following the instructions on the linked alldroid post using RSD Lite. I also kept root on the device after flashing the 2.0.1 update and then yanking the battery and flashing the rooted update.zip file. I verified that I have root by running backup for root users and getting through the permission thing for root backups. My phone now says 2.0.1.

I bought the phone here in the US from amazon.

There were a few anxious moments trying to figure out how to add in the motodev flash drivers on win7 but got through that as well. Then the phone flashes using RSD Lite and its all easy after that.

All in all, a very exciting hour or so hunting down drivers, flashing the milestone, retaining root on it to 2.0.1.