[Updated] Sony Ericsson Xperia Play for Verizon Pre-Order May19th: $200 Bucks

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sony-Ericsson-Xperia-Play-vzw-may19.jpg

We have added a video from Verizon showing off the Xperia Play: Sony Ericsson Xperia Play for Verizon - From Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library

It looks like the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play is finally coming to Verizon. It will be available for pre-order at Big Red on May 19th for $200 on two-year contract. It officially releases on May 26th. It comes with a host of games pre-installed: Madden NFL 11, Bruce Lee Dragon Warrior, Asphalt 6: Adrenaline, The Sims 3, Star Battalion, Crash Bandicoot, and Tetris. You can also purchase several Playstation One games through the Android Market and via Verizon’s V Cast App. Here's the press release below:
VERIZON WIRELESS AND SONY ERICSSON TAKE MOBILE GAMING TO THE NEXT LEVEL WITH THE SONY ERICSSON XPERIA™ PLAY

The World’s First PlayStation® Certified Smartphone Combines PlayStation®-Quality Gaming Experience with the Latest Android Smartphone Technology

BASKING RIDGE, N.J. – Take conference calls, send emails and win football’s biggest game, all on one device. The Sony Ericsson Xperia™ PLAY, for Verizon Wireless, redefines mobile gaming by combining all the features customers expect from a fully-featured smartphone with the ultimate gaming experience.

Powered by Android™ 2.3, Gingerbread, the Sony Ericsson Xperia™ PLAY will come pre-loaded with seven game titles, including Madden NFL 11 (EA Sports), Bruce Lee Dragon Warrior (Digital Legends), Asphalt 6: Adrenaline (Gameloft), The Sims 3 (EA), Star Battalion (Gameloft), Crash Bandicoot (Sony PlayStation) and Tetris. Customers can expand their video game library with more than 50 game titles available at launch for download via V CAST Apps. Customers easily become gamers with the slide out game pad revealing a directional keypad, dual analog touch joystick, two shoulder buttons and the four iconic PlayStation® symbol keys: circle, X, square and triangle.

Additional Features:

· 1 GHz Qualcomm® Snapdragon® II processor with Adreno 205 GPU

· Adobe® Flash® Player

· 4-inch multi-touch display

· 5-megapixel rear-facing camera

· VGA front-facing camera for still shots and video chatting

· Support for Google Mobile Services including Gmail™, YouTube™, Google Talk™, Google Search™, Google Maps™, and access to more than 200,000 apps available to download from Android Market™

· Mobile hotspot capability– share 3G connection with up to five Wi-Fi-enabled devices

Pricing and Availability:

· The Sony Ericsson Xperia™ PLAY will be available for pre-order online at Cell Phones - Smartphones: Cell Phone Service, Accessories - Verizon Wireless beginning May 19 and in stores on May 26 for $199.99 with a new two-year customer agreement.

· Sony Ericsson Xperia™ PLAY customers will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan and a smartphone data package. Nationwide Talk plans begin at $39.99 for monthly access and an unlimited smartphone data plan is $29.99 for monthly access.

Game Developers:

· The gaming experience can only get better as additional games are being created. Developers have the flexibility to focus on content and not worry about binary file sizes when submitting apps to V CAST Apps. Developers can visit Game Development for additional information about game development for the Sony Ericsson Xperia™ PLAY.

Gunslinger

Reaction score
Ugh, I'm so torn. I would use the crap out of this for emulators. But the specs aren't very impressive these days, and there's no word if the bootloader will be locked or not. If locked, I guess I'll get a Thunderbolt. If not, I've got some more thinking to do...

heroe13

Reaction score
What's the best phone manufacturing to you? I own a Motorola DX and You?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

LT*

Reaction score
Ugh, I'm so torn. I would use the crap out of this for emulators. But the specs aren't very impressive these days, and there's no word if the bootloader will be locked or not. If locked, I guess I'll get a Thunderbolt. If not, I've got some more thinking to do...

After reading this -----> How do I know if the boot loader can be unlocked on my phone? | unlockbootloader.sonyericsson.com

I may actually consider the Play. Had a PSP that I loved until my 8 year old started using it more than I did. Have to play with it in person to decide.

UNC

Reaction score
Same processor/GPU as a TB.
This would be awesome if it was more geared towards entry-level.... SONY "could" make up the difference on SW sales if they could get this into more people's hands....

They should be going with the McDonald's model of business. 100 billion hamburgers x $1 > 100 million hamburgers x $10.

Tio Gardi

Reaction score
Took way too long to come out. It was a day one buy for me, but it's definitely lost it's luster. Galaxy S II for me.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Took way too long to come out. It was a day one buy for me, but it's definitely lost it's luster.

I feel exactly the same way. If this had dropped shortly after it was announced, I would have been all over it. Now it doesn't interest me considering much of what is already out and what is coming soon.

Gunslinger

Reaction score
After reading this -----> How do I know if the boot loader can be unlocked on my phone? | unlockbootloader.sonyericsson.com

I may actually consider the Play. Had a PSP that I loved until my 8 year old started using it more than I did. Have to play with it in person to decide.

See, that's not specific enough for me. It says "The only way to determine if you can unlock the boot loader for your phone is to connect your phone to the Fastboot tool in the Android™ SDK. If your phone can connect to Fastboot, the boot loader can be unlocked."

It's still very much undecided if VZW's Xperia Play will be unlockable.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
you must of missed the news awhile back from sony stating that they xperia devices will be unlocked

LT*

Reaction score

See, that's not specific enough for me. It says "The only way to determine if you can unlock the boot loader for your phone is to connect your phone to the Fastboot tool in the Android™ SDK. If your phone can connect to Fastboot, the boot loader can be unlocked."

It's still very much undecided if VZW's Xperia Play will be unlockable.

Agreed, but once it's out, I figure we'll quickly know if they are unlockable. At least there's a chance.

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
Yep unbranded and I dought VZWs will be unlockable but I'm hopeful that they will do the right thing... but not holding my breath.. ;)

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
you must of missed the news awhile back from sony stating that they xperia devices will be unlocked

You must not have read it very well. SE is unlocking devices if they're unbranded, or with a carrier that allows it.

dancedroid

Well im sure that with the devs out there we can flash it to a non-verizon file...and therefore have an unlocked bootloader

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums