[Updated:] Power Consumption Issue for Nearly All Android Dual-Core Phones

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
android-power-issue-1.jpg

Dual-core Android phones were supposed to herald the improvement of battery life and an end to being tethered to your charger. Unfortunately, that has not been the case at all, and there are reports throughout the industry of nearly all dual-core phones being plagued with even worse battery life than most single-core phones. From the Motorola Atrix 4G, to the T-Mobile G2x, each has battery issues... and yes there are even reports that the new Samsung Galaxy SII has battery life and overheating problems as well.

The theory is true that a dual-core chip has the potential to improve energy consumption, but for now the execution seems to be the issue. From what Russian Tech Blogger, Eldar Murtazin, is theorizing, the problem isn't the hardware. It is software optimization for the dual-core chips. Some reports seem to indicate that there is a potential "light at the end of the tunnel". Supposedly, Gingerbread version 2.3.4, currently only really primarily being used on the Nexus S, has the proper coding to help address the issue. The blogger seems to be implying that 2.3.4 will fix all issues for dual-core devices. Who knows how valid this blogger's opinion really is anyway.

Regardless, perhaps the blogger's Tweet is correct, but perhaps it's also the fact that the current crop of dual-core chips are simply too new. Very often, first-generation products require improvements and optimizations. More than likely, the reality is that it is both. The chipset technology will improve over time and the software will be further enhanced to handle the hardware more efficiently. What are your thoughts on this? Sound off in the forums with your dual-core battery horror or happy stories.

Source: Android.net via PhoneArena

Last edited:

pandabear

Reaction score
Um, the Tbolt isn't dualcore. I'd be happy to hear any news of it's battery consumption issues getting better though

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Sigh.

Does no one actually read some of this stuff before posting it?

The article misrepresents what was said. The actual Tweet, where they're getting their information from, says:

"Google have issue with Android 2.3.2 - battery consumption is high for dualcore CPU. Issue will be solved in 2.3.4. Affected all 2xcore"

Notice that he says there are issues with Android 2.3.2. This would imply that he's talking about dual core devices on 2.3.2. A lot of dual core devices out there right now are still on a version of Froyo, so presumably they don't suffer from the same problem. So it's not "almost all dual-core Android devices," but rather dual-core Android devices on 2.3.2, which I would guess is actually a pretty small number at this point.

And I'm not familiar with this Russian tech blogger at all, so I don't know how accurate or inaccurate his information would be anyway.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here have a Droid X2 with the dual core? How is your battery life on froyo?

Also leave it up to manufacturers and service providers to release tech an hype us all up before, all the bugs are worked out. That is where apple has a strong point. They test stuff before it is released!

bplewis24

Reaction score
Sigh.

The article misrepresents what was said. The actual Tweet, where they're getting their information from, says:

"Google have issue with Android 2.3.2 - battery consumption is high for dualcore CPU. Issue will be solved in 2.3.4. Affected all 2xcore"

Notice that he says there are issues with Android 2.3.2. This would imply that he's talking about dual core devices on 2.3.2. A lot of dual core devices out there right now are still on a version of Froyo, so presumably they don't suffer from the same problem. So it's not "almost all dual-core Android devices," but rather dual-core Android devices on 2.3.2, which I would guess is actually a pretty small number at this point.

And I'm not familiar with this Russian tech blogger at all, so I don't know how accurate or inaccurate his information would be anyway.

Well said and thanks for pointing this out.

Brandon

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here have a Droid X2 with the dual core? How is your battery life on froyo?

so-so... qHD/pentile display uses a lot of battery too...

The bottom line point of this article is very true - the software on all of our phones, Froyo or GB, is not optimized fully for dual core yet.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sigh.

Thanks for pointing out some inaccuracies and a bit of lack of clarity on my part. The original article wasn't exactly clear on it's points either. It's sometimes hard to interpret and write what another writer was trying to get across, especially when they aren't very clear. I am not making excuses, I really should have spent a bit more time editing. I apologize for the subtle clarity mistake, and the glaring TBolt error.

The original point of "my take" on the article is still valid and still there, but for the sake of journalistic integrity I have updated/edited the story. Thanks again for the assist. And... don't forget to post your battery life experiences... :)

dgstorm

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Thanks for pointing out some inaccuracies and a bit of lack of clarity on my part. The original article wasn't exactly clear on it's points either. It's sometimes hard to interpret and write what another writer was trying to get across, especially when they aren't very clear. I am not making excuses, I really should have spent a bit more time editing. I apologize for the subtle clarity mistake, and the glaring TBolt error.

The original point of "my take" on the article is still valid and still there, but for the sake of journalistic integrity I have updated/edited the story. Thanks again for the assist. And... don't forget to post your battery life experiences... :)

dgstorm

I was referring more to the Phone Arena article than your post since that is the source that multiple places are linking to. I'm not sure how they jumped to the conclusion that it's all dual core Android phones when the Tweet gives a specific version number that is supposedly affected. Most people don't bother to check up on the source of articles, so when they read something like that, they just run with what was inaccurately report and fuel a bogus rumor.

Thanks for taking another look at it. I'm glad the inaccurate information won't be further propagated here. :)

grgguy

Reaction score
I've got the DX2 and I'd say the battery life is fine , It last all day for me and that is with medium usage ( Navigator, Email, normal phone use ect).

bplewis24

Reaction score
Sigh.

Thanks for pointing out some inaccuracies and a bit of lack of clarity on my part.

I don't think your posting was inaccurate so much as the way the linked article was written was a bit confusing or misleading. The way the article is framed makes it sound like there are hardware issues with dual-core phones causing them to suck too much battery power, but what I took away from the article is that Gingerbread release 2.3.2 has some software incompatibility issues with dual-core architecture that is being corrected in 2.3.4.

Brandon

BillyT

Reaction score
I was concerned with the battery life on my DX2 the first day I had it (even though I did use it A LOT). The next day I purchased and extended battery. My first day with the phone at work with it setup pretty much the way I had my D1, the battery didn't make it through the day. Today I turned off GPS and BT and it is still at 60% (4 PM). I also was having difficulty logging onto to a secure network connection in the building, so I switched it over to the public Wifi.

Raidy

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I got an X2 on Friday, and the battery life has exceeded what I was getting on my D1. I have not been using it heavily, but typical use for me throughout the day, and it has stayed at 50%+ before I charge it at night. (8am->12am give or take).

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was concerned with the battery life on my DX2 the first day I had it (even though I did use it A LOT). The next day I purchased and extended battery. My first day with the phone at work with it setup pretty much the way I had my D1, the battery didn't make it through the day. Today I turned off GPS and BT and it is still at 60% (4 PM). I also was having difficulty logging onto to a secure network connection in the building, so I switched it over to the public Wifi.

So with the extended battery (which one?) and turning off gps/bt, it was at 60% by 4?