[Updated] New HTC Refresh Lineup Revealed - Incredible S, Desire S, Wildfire S

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;7tt2sg7pks8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tt2sg7pks8&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - HTC Incredible S Preview[/video]

HTC's newest lineup of phones for Verizon was just revealed. It looks to be a 'spring refresh' of sorts. We actually got to show off a hint of the first device previously here. It's nice to see the mystery revealed.

The first phone is a follow-up to the "incredibly" popular 'Incredible'. This new one is called the Incredible S and will launch globally. It has a 4-inch screen, a 1GHz Qualcomm MSM8255 with 768MB of RAM, an 8 megapixel camera with dual-LED flash and autofocus and a 1.3 megapixel front-facing camera. Strangely, it is using Android 2.2. We've included a video of this one shown above.

The second is the Desire S. It sports a 3.7 Inch screen, a 5 megapixel camera with a 1.3MP front-facing camera. It also has a MSM8255 chip inside and 768MB of RAM. This one will be utilizing Gingerbread version 2.4. Go figure.

Lastly, we have the Wildfire S, which is basically the same phone with improved resolution running Gingerbread 2.4.

It's odd that the refresh to the former flagship phone doesn't have Gingerbread. Maybe it was a marketing mistake and it will come with Gingerbread. What do you guys think?

[Update] Other sites are reporting that this new HTC Incredible S will come with Gingerbread and come out in Europe only at first. The Gingerbread part is welcome news and makes more sense. The Europe only part is not happy news. Also, if you read between the lines of this story, HTC just confirmed that Android 2.4 will be Gingerbread confirming the rumor we reported previously, here.

Source: Engadget and Phandroid

Last edited:

creaky

Reaction score
No dual core on the incredible S, no LTE? Aside from the FFC and some extra RAM, doesn't seem like much of an upgrade to me.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
What is gingerbread 2.4? Current AOSP is at 2.3.3, I believe.

Reaction score
I love how HTC can manufacture decent upgrades that are spot on with the power-curve for mobile OS's. Nothing extravigantly new to set itself above the rest, yet they seem to own the market (imo). Unlike Moto, Sammy, and LG who struggle to make hardware improvements over software and UI improvements. I love my D1, but I will never buy another moto product based on what has since been shat off the factory floor. HTC....hackable, with the times hardware wise, and always updating underlying OS for the non hackers. You just can't have a better business model in the Android world.

mamawm

Reaction score
is it just me or is anyone else disappointed with what htc is showing us. all these phones seem to just be a refresh to last years phones. i wanted to see something really awesome, a "i gotta have one of those" phones.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have to admit, I kind of wonder what these companies are doing. Like 10 phones a year, at least, all fairly marginal upgrades or "missing" something. You just wonder why they don't make a few great phones and then discount older models to hit multiple price points (i.e. what Apple does).

motty69

Reaction score
It will be interesing to see if these phones keep their ffc when they come stateside. With exception of the iPhone I don't think VZW has any other phones with ffc on the 3G network.

Doesn't matter to me 'cause I'll be rockin' a TBolt on LTE. :icon_ banana: