[Updated] Motorola XOOM Available in February and Should Get LTE Upgrade in Q2

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
that would be the smartest route... However, these big businesses are greedy and controlling... you never know what they may want to do and their reasons for doing it.

EgooEspada

Reaction score
Guys. There is no contracts for tablets on Verizon. You pay monthly and can stop anytime if you want. But a Wifi version should be something they should consider. It could knock down the price by $100 without 3G/4G most likely and have a tad longer battery life. Though I'm totally getting it with 3G anyway. I'm going to be traveling a lot of the next few months and travel quite a bit now. So its my best bet.

Sent from my Droid

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
Open bootloader + wifi-only option = me buying this device. If the bootloader is locked, then I'll spend my money elsewhere. Learned that with my Droid X.

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
Open bootloader + wifi-only option = me buying this device. If the bootloader is locked, then I'll spend my money elsewhere. Learned that with my Droid X.

Hell yes! Same here... the only thing is, I don't know what could compare to the xoom, with or without those options

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org

Hell yes! Same here... the only thing is, I don't know what could compare to the xoom, with or without those options

Actually, I take my statement back as fact. Even if this is completely open, I think there *could* be two other devices that would challenge it: 1 exists and 1 kinda exists but not really:
  1. Asus Eee Transformer - This is very near ideal for a tablet.
  2. A Verizon-based Atrix-like device where my phone docks into a tablet as the guts.

The ideal scenario would be a combination of both of these other things: Have my phone dock into a tablet and have the tablet dock into a keyboard. And not only have these things all dock together with one another, but start making standard interfaces for all of these things so I can mix-and-match keyboards, tablets, and phones. Now THAT would be ideal and THAT is what I want.

In fact, quote me now - this is where the future of all of these devices will go. All of these articles about how smartphones kill tablet sales and tablets kill netbook sales and netbooks kill laptop sales are all crap. They should all be the same thing, with some mixing-and-matching. Sure, this wouldn't account for 100% of laptops but this would be an amazing "integrated portable device" market. I bet we're still 2-3 years away but this is where the industry will take us. You will ultimately see ChromeOS integrated into Android. You'll see Windows Tablet Edition integrated into Windows Phone. And we already see iOS kinda integrated as a single OS (although without this functionality).

Edit: I'm stealing this post and making it a topic of its own - I'd like to hear discussion on this specific thing so we don't hijack this thread.

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
Sounds like you should get a piece of paper, sketch it all out and get that patented haha. Great ideas, it would all be cool and probably is the way electronics is moving towards.

And I haven't looked at any Asus tabs yet. Their name for computers never really had my attention.

ckeegan

Reaction score
It's like stupidity is contagious, and no one pays any attention to the people posting with common sense.

Verizon does not require term contracts for tablets.

They haven't for the Galaxy Tab, and they haven't required them for the iPad/MiFi combo either. Therefore, there is no reason to think that they would require them for the Xoom. Moto, Google, and Verizon all know that requiring a 1 or 2 year contract would make it far more difficult to compete with the current iPad.

As for a Wi-Fi only version being cheaper in the US, highly unlikely for the following reasons:

1. Verizon paid for the exclusivity/branding. (Apple was too controlling to allow AT&T to put their logo on the iPad, which is a big reason why the 3G version is more expensive) Wanna know why Handtec was stating $875 (US) before VAT? It's unbranded/unsubsidized, there ya go.

2. Moto would have added cost in marketing, selling, and shipping a Wi-Fi only version themselves. Combined, they far outweigh the cost of the 3G or 4G hardware.

Thank you.

Last edited:

soulpatch

Reaction score
You still have to buy the initial month with the Tab which is money I would rather have in my pocket.

According to another source linked in another thread there is a wifi version coming out for the Xoom so we will have to wait and see. Supposedly to have a bundle option with the mifi device but I am sure it will be sold individually as well...

ckeegan

Reaction score
You still have to buy the initial month with the Tab which is money I would rather have in my pocket.

According to another source linked in another thread there is a wifi version coming out for the Xoom so we will have to wait and see. Supposedly to have a bundle option with the mifi device but I am sure it will be sold individually as well...
Yeah, that $20 initial month (Verizon's 1GB tablet plan) would really hurt when you're probably going to shell out $600 for the device itself. :rolleyes:

I know about the wi-fi only version, that likely won't be coming to the US anytime soon, because again, Verizon paid for exclusivity. Assuming you're in the US, ordering an unbranded Xoom from overseas is definitely going to cost you more than the $20 for the 1st month of the data plan.

Once the Wi-Fi only version comes to the US (no earlier than 4th quarter, in my opinion), see 1 and 2 from my previous post about why it probably won't be any cheaper than the Verizon version.

Last edited:

soulpatch

Reaction score

Yeah, that $20 initial month (Verizon's 1GB tablet plan) would really hurt when you're probably going to shell out $600 for the device itself. :rolleyes:

I know about the wi-fi only version, that likely won't be coming to the US anytime soon, because again, Verizon paid for exclusivity. Assuming you're in the US, ordering an unbranded Xoom from overseas is definitely going to cost you more than the $20 for the 1st month of the data plan.

Once the Wi-Fi only version comes to the US (no earlier than 4th quarter, in my opinion), see 1 and 2 from my previous post about why it probably won't be any cheaper than the Verizon version.

$20 is still $20 and woudl buy a case (well part of one anyway...)

Your 1 and 2 is moot if VZW sells the Wifi version. They have yet to say they wont and we all know the wifi is out there. should they sell it then it shoudl be cheaper then the 3G4G version as well. Which again drives people into the stores to get one as well as potential for warranty sales, accessories, or upsales into the 3G4G models which also bear the further upsale to service...

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I do not know if this is old news but I have read over at androidtablets.net that the Xoom will cost $499-$799. I love my rooted Nook Color and it was cheap! There is some other pricing for other tabs I have found over there: Asus Eee Slate EP121 12" $999, Lenovo IdeaPad U1 11" $599-$999, OpenPeak OpenTablet 7" $300, Samsung PC7 10" $699. Not sure what the original source was though, so keep that in mind.

ckeegan

Reaction score
Your 1 and 2 is moot if VZW sells the Wifi version. They have yet to say they wont and we all know the wifi is out there. should they sell it then it shoudl be cheaper then the 3G4G version as well. Which again drives people into the stores to get one as well as potential for warranty sales, accessories, or upsales into the 3G4G models which also bear the further upsale to service...
Oh yeah, Verizon stores will probably carry the Wi-Fi only Xoom. In the store, you'll find it right next to their lineup of Sprint phones.

aDroidman

Reaction score
From my reading you can expect a wifi only version to be sold from Motorola. The rumored release is in april.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

linuxmel

Reaction score
I really wish they would have made a wifi only version of this. I go to very limited placed where I am not in wifi. I have no need for the 3G contract or capabilities...
Do we know for sure that they will require a contract? I believe the Galaxy can be had w/o a contract and use wifi only.

soulpatch

Reaction score
I really wish they would have made a wifi only version of this. I go to very limited placed where I am not in wifi. I have no need for the 3G contract or capabilities...
Do we know for sure that they will require a contract? I believe the Galaxy can be had w/o a contract and use wifi only.

No contract most likely like the Galaxy but I dont even want to pay for the first month like you have to with the Tab. That is 20-30 bucks I can use elsewhere