[Updated] Instagram Conveys They Now Have the Right to Sell Your Public Photos

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Dec 18, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Earlier in the year, Facebook purchased Instagram for over $1 Billion dollars. Since then it appears they have been implementing some of Facebook's less popular policies at Instagram, and one in particular will likely anger quite a few customers. Apparently, Instagram claims they now have the right to sell any of the public photos that you use/take/modify with their service. Furthermore, unless you delete your account before January 16th, you cannot opt out of this. This seems to follow suit with Facebook's new policies on the subject, and justifiably has the interwebs in an uproar.

Now, it's important to note that one specific line of their new Terms of Service makes it clear that they are referring to the photos on their service that are made "public". Any of the photos you use on their service that are made "private" do not seem to fall under this new umbrella. This is small consolation, and for many users, makes their service practically useless.

What do you guys think of this? Is Instagram/Facebook going too far with their Draconian policies, or do you not care what they do with your pics?

If you are now of the mind to stop usage of Instagram services, here's a quote from a CNET article describing how to save your pics an ditch the service before the January 16th deadline.

Update: Apparently, this issue is a bit more complex than many of the news sites are sharing. According to an article at The Verge, Instagram has always had the ability to use your photos, and this new policy only clarifies it and actually places some extra limitations on it. The Verge also claims that Instagram cannot actually sell your pics, but they still have some interesting ways in which they can use them. Here's a quote followed by a link to the full article,

There is obviously more to this debacle than previously meets the eye. Sound off in the forums if you have some valuable insight into this situation.

Thanks for the tip, CJM!

Source: CNET
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  2. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team Staff Member Premium Member

If they put me anywhere near saying Budweiser is my favorite.... there's gonna be hell to raise...
  3. GeLopez

GeLopez New Member

Goodbye instagram.
  4. Redsnk95

Redsnk95 New Member

Deleted my account earlier today when I read the news.
  5. xtor

xtor Well-Known Member

I saw this on face book earlier, there was about 600 post all saying they deleted that account.
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012