[Updated] Hands-On Friday Quick Preview Pic With In-Stock VZW Samsung Galaxy Nexus

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
What do the admins have to do with this? News team is trying to keep up with this confusing phone. Lets not point fingers because everyone is doing the best they can. VZ doesn't even know what its doing yet alone the peeps trying to get a handle on it. If you want no info til its officially out then just dont come to the forum....:blink: Throwing bribery insults is quite unnecessary (Illogical as well since just about every tech site and forum is also covering this phone so Vz would be putting out a lot of money if they did bribe people to keep it up in the news. :wacko:. Also wouldn't make sense to bribe then give bad info to frustrate people.)

Well, I wouldn't put this on the front screen/home page. Plus, it's a demo unit with a simulated image. Not really news worthy IMHO. I'm as excited (soon becoming frustrated) like the next man, but the title "[Exclusive] Hands-On Friday Quick Preview Pic With In-Stock VZW Samsung Galaxy Nexus" is a little suspect. Maybe it should be "Verizon getting Nexus demo shell's ready for retail stores"

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
A single picture of the phone - nothing we haven't seen before - is an "exclusive hands-on" ?

At least here is an entire gallery: Ultimate Verizon 4G LTE Galaxy Nexus Gallery (Updated) – Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

We do the best with the resources we have brutha! Our source took a big risk to her job to bring us the one picture we got, and we thought you would at least like to see it. ;)

I realize there are some blogs that focus more on grabbing the attention getting headlines than we do, but DroidForums.net is the best community for a combination of folks. We bring together developers, modders, Android-fans, and regular users. We provide a fantastic place where you can receive and discuss far more information than just a few news stories.

We are constantly striving to improve the news on the site and bring you more and more interesting news across the web everyday. In fact, just a year ago, we wouldn't have even had a pic like the one in the story. Still, I appreciate your feedback, and want you to know that we will work extra hard in the future to bring you more relevant and up to date news. Thanks for being a part of the best Droid community on the web, and thanks for your input!

bemenaker

Reaction score
I doubt VZW really is putting much thought into what a very tiny percent of its user base thinks. Truth be told, most of the people complaining on here aren't going anywhere because they aren't about to give up their unlimited data.

Only remotely rational reason I've heard so far is that VZW wants to add more bloatware, but I think they could do that with a update push at some point. It does sound like the LTE hiccup is probably the culprit - you don't want to release a high-end 4G phone with the network a bit under the weather as that's sure to generate plenty of unhappy customers, questions and returns (because the majority of buyers of the Nexus aren't going to buy for the reason we are, they'll just prefer it over the RAZR/Rezound/Bionic for whatever reason).

I'm reposting my own comment from a different thread:

This seems like most illogical of all possible explanations. The two most plausible are, A) shipping, they didn't get them all out to stores in time, possible, but still less likely than, B) they were still having 4G issues with the firmware, and the massive LTE outage this week. Verizon just released a firmware update for the Bionic to fix 4G issues, the massive 4G outage this week was probably from an update to the 4G system, (meant to ready it for the big 4G sale this weekend). You wouldn't want to be selling all these 4G phones/tabs when their 4G software wasn't ready.

Say you have a bunch of 4G stuff ready to ship already, you have a big sale planned, and you have one device running a totally new version of Android, with no real field testing yet, ( I mean mass release test results, totally different from QA testing). (Assuming the rumor of needing to get ICS 4.1 ready for the GN to fix 4G problems), which product do you delay? Do you delay the 10-12 GB/HC devices that are ready to go, to fix one ICS device, or do you make sure all your GB/HC devices are working properly and followup with the ICS asap? They haven't really even advertised the GN yet, and everything on sale this weekend has been receiving advertising.

I want the GN as bad as anyone else here. My OG Droid is starting to falter, but let's quit jumping to conclusion based on BS speculation, and put a little bit of logic and reasoning into it. All the pieces are there, to make this the more plausible situation. Or some combination of these two.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I called Best Buy earlier and was told it's slated for Sunday unless something changes - fingers crossed :)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
They haven't really even advertised the GN yet, and everything on sale this weekend has been receiving advertising.

Yet all signs point to this phone being planned to release today. You can't pull advertising on that short of notice, so clearly they've been planning to launch it with little to no advertising initially. An unlocked phone with virtually no bloatware might not be something VZW has any intention of pushing, relative to the RAZR, Rezound and others. They don't make money on phones and don't really care what you buy, as long as you buy a phone requiring a data contract. Honestly, I think the RAZR/Rezound/Bionic are more appealing to non-geeks and the geeks don't need promotion/advertising for this.

Last edited:

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
You mean like this one? lol

Sent using common sense.
akhenax said:
Well, I wouldn't put this on the front screen/home page. Plus, it's a demo unit with a simulated image. Not really news worthy IMHO. I'm as excited (soon becoming frustrated) like the next man, but the title "[Exclusive] Hands-On Friday Quick Preview Pic With In-Stock VZW Samsung Galaxy Nexus" is a little suspect. Maybe it should be "Verizon getting Nexus demo shell's ready for retail stores"

What are you saying here? Their were 20 sources saying that it would release... Are you guys saying you dont want news about this? I guess im confused what message you guys are saying. Dont come on the forum if you guys dont want to hear anything about the nexus, its that simple. This was a simple article saying that they have them in bestbuy. Why so much fuss? No need to offend the news team becuase your mad at VZ. I think i message the news team every other day with random stories.... At least I want to read about this sort of stuff. ;) If you have better stories then do the same. They are here for us you know. You can even write stories for them and they would post it for you if it was good. (I've done it a couple times) I think i go on at least 12 news sites daily, this site does pretty good with keeping up and giving people what they want to read about. Your best case scenario here is what? You offend the news team and they stop posting stuff? I would say that would be very lame. I say keep up he good work. Ive got philosophy class now so i got to go, but my rant here might not be over. :soapbox:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonas

Reaction score
Honestly, I think this is all about silly. If your product doesn't work, don't rush it out then try to fix it on the fly. Microsoft tried that with the original Xbox 360, and those of us who are gamers saw the failure that ensued. I think this is just another case of rushing out a product for the holidays and it's not ready for the show. Just my 2 cents.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
What are you saying here? Their were 20 sources saying that it would release... Are you guys saying you dont want news about this? I guess im confused what message you guys are saying. Dont come on the forum if you guys dont want to hear anything about the nexus, its that simple. This was a simple article saying that they have them in bestbuy. Why so much fuss? No need to offend the news team becuase your mad at VZ. I think i message the news team every other day with random stories.... At least I want to read about this sort of stuff. ;) If you have better stories then do the same. They are here for us you know. You can even write stories for them and they would post it for you if it was good. (I've done it a couple times) I think i go on at least 12 news sites daily, this site does pretty good with keeping up and giving people what they want to read about. Your best case scenario here is what? You offend the news team and they stop posting stuff? I would say that would be very lame. I say keep up he good work. Ive got philosophy class now so i got to go, but my rant here might not be over. :soapbox:

I usually try to stay out of these rants, but this one had to be addressed. Let's stay civil and assume a position that the responses/opinions are not dictator like, but rather suggestions. My suggestion was to change the title of the thread because it's misleading, IN MY OPINION. Let's just agree to disagree and move on. I feel that this whole waiting for the Nexus to be announced and released is frustrating everyone and causing this community to lose patience.

xzdarkstarzx

Reaction score
I haven't posted here in ages, but the GN hype has drawn me back in from lurking/following only. I kind of agree with the news criticism though. I know they have a website to run, and they're trying to keep people clicking (cash is king, praise Jesus and all the saints lol) but a little second glance isnt all too much to ask for. The "exclusive" was only 4 lines about what we already know with a pic that pretty clearly says its a dummy phone

I love the news team, and all the little updates, but some times you guys are just filling space.

View attachment 43391

Briankbl

Reaction score
Update: Since we have received quite a bit of the same feedback regarding the relative "weakness" of this story from several different folks, I feel it is important that we take that input seriously. So, from that perspective, as the DF editor, I would like to take responsibility, and apologize that we didn't look over the picture better, and that the story's title was a bit too self-aggrandizing. Sometimes, we on the news team, get caught up in the excitement of a new release just like you guys do, because of course, we are Android fans too.

That doesn't excuse sloppy reporting though, and I want to thank all the folks for offering their constructive feedback. While technically, the story was "exclusive", because we were able to get a pic that was ours alone, sometimes, people think of that word, in larger terms than just that, thus making the story seem more "hyped' than it was intended. The article was really just meant as further confirmation that Best Buy and other retailers actually had stock and were sitting on it. The title should have reflected that better, and the article should have shared that the pic was of a demo unit.

It's great that we have members willing to share their input, as many of you did, and it will only help us improve as a news team to bring you better articles in the future. It's the openness of our forum members that makes DroidForums.net the best place on the web to come together and share about one of our favorite subjects. Thank you.

Thank you for acknowledging that there, indeed, have been issues regarding your News reporting. Thank you for not ridiculing those who brought the problem to your attention. Like what happened the other day in the 9th Is Official Release Date topic. Shadez apologized and everything is cool. Just glad this topic didn't have to reach that point.

Sent using common sense.

DaHarder

Reaction score
I was actually allowed to use/take a Galaxy Nexus/LTE home for most of the day today and came away thoroughly impressed with the smoothness of its operation and the cohesiveness of ICS in general...This is the future of mobile operating systems.

It's a fantastic performer, and I'm really looking forward to the official release so that I can really put it through its paces.

View attachment 43414

Here's a pic of it along side my Galaxy tab 8.9/32gb... What a sweet-looking couple. :biggrin:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
They need to just give this thing a street date already:angry:

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was actually allowed to use/take a Galaxy Nexus/LTE home for most of the day today and came away thoroughly impressed with the smoothness of its operation and the cohesiveness of ICS in general...This is the future of mobile operating systems.

It's a fantastic performer, and I'm really looking forward to the official release so that I can really put it through its paces.

View attachment 43414

Here's a pic of it along side my Galaxy tab 8.9/32gb... What a sweet-looking couple. :biggrin:
Is the portait to landscape animation slow? that phonedog or whatever sites nexus was really laggy when doing this.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Is the portait to landscape animation slow? that phonedog or whatever sites nexus was really laggy when doing this.
Yeah from what I saw from that review the orientation switch was pretty bad. Maybe they'll fix that with 4.1?

DaHarder

Reaction score

Certainly not that I noticed... everything about the device pleasantly smooth and polished, easily the equal (and in many cases superior) the my iPhone 4S.