Updated Google Search app, now search button doesn't work

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by ethanhunt123, Aug 13, 2010.

1. ethanhunt123

ethanhunt123 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I updated the google search app, and it works, but when i hit the physical search button of the bottom 4 buttons, the search no longer comes up. anyone know how you fix this?

2. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +92
    Instead of tapping it, try long pressing it

Edit: A tap of mine brings up the Google Search Screen and a long press brings up the new search function

3. ethanhunt123

ethanhunt123 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yea long does the voice search, tap does nothing.....tap used to bring up the text search....thats what im tring to get back

4. AzJazz

AzJazz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    @ethanhunt123: If you had that functionality, you must have run a patch of some sort awhile ago, or found an app that gives you that functionality.

5. ethanhunt123

ethanhunt123 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmm....I don't think so. I've had that since day one

6. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +92
    You installed both new.apk's?

7. ethanhunt123

ethanhunt123 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    please elaborate? i uninstalled both the stock "Google search" and "voice search" and installed the newer versions from the market, yes.

8. Steind

Steind New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have this problem as well. Deleted the googlesearch.apk from /system/app and installed the new google search from the market. Physical search button does not bring up the text search anymore, just a long press for voice. I rolled back to the old version for now as I use the quick search quite a lot from my homescreen.

9. ethanhunt123

ethanhunt123 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    the weird the is, i didn't have a googlesearch.apk, all i had was like a googlesearchbar.apk or something. i deleted that, and it allowed me to install the new Google search. not neither googlesearch.apk or googlesearchbar.apk is in my /system/spp folder, go figure....

10. nyijedi

nyijedi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having the same problem since deleting and replacing the google search app. A few others on the CM forums have also noticed this problem, but I haven't seen a fix for it yet. Does anyone know what the updated Google Search app does? I'm wondering if I should roll back for now.

11. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +92
    I didn't get mine from the Market, I got them here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/an...mely-fast-accurate-voice-actions-android.html mabye this will make the difference

At first I installed right over the old system files, which put the.apk's in data/app after I confirmed it was working I moved the files to system/app, deleted the preinstalled.apk's rebooted and then renamed the new.apk's VoiceSearch.apk and GoogleQuicksearchBox.apk

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  12. nyijedi

nyijedi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I figured out a solution to this. Most of us having this problem renamed GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk to GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk.old in order to allow the installation of the new Google Search to download and install properly. It turns out that the new Google Search is not named GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk. So, if you go back and rename GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk.old to GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk after installing the new Google Search and reboot your phone, your search button should be working fine and you should have the new version of Google Search.

13. zerodark657

zerodark657 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having the same problem with the search button, and none of the solutions posted so far have done anything to resolve the issue yet.

My google search widget is also acting kind of screwy. When I click on it, it shoots up to the very top row of the home screen, no matter where it was originally placed. This isn't the top row of widgets either, if I place the widget in the top row, there's usually a gap between it and the notification bar above. Then, when I select it, it shoots up flush with the notification bar.

If anyone has a copy of the previous googlequicksearch.apk they'd be willing to share. I'd really appreciate it. I have a completely unfounded theory that removing the defaults before upgrading will clear up the search button, so that pressing it after the install will bring up a prompt asking what app the button should be associated with (similar to the prompt raised by the first long press after installing the voice search app)

14. weengo

weengo New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Possible Solution

I had the same issues everyone here is describing.
    Installed the GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk after installing new search apps from market... and now everything works.
    Hope someone else finds this useful.

Search tags for this page
android google search doesnt work
android search button doesn't work
google category search buttons not working
google search button not working on cell phone
googlequicksearchbox search button

googlequicksearchbox.apk

old google search apk
search button doesn't work
search button in android market wont work
search button not working