OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
Ok try step 3 again. Your almost there man

jawa6969

Reaction score
Ok try step 3 again. Your almost there man

Well. Not sure what to do. I have tried step 3 like five times. The only things I have not done are reboot the device or PC. Hmmm. Gonna reboot the PC and see if that makes any difference.

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
Ok, not to worry, your past the hard part. Step 3 has been tricky at times for multiple users. As it states in the original post.

Your almost there and shouldnt be to concerned at this point.

jawa6969

Reaction score
I don't know what to do at this point. Rebooted device, rebooted PC. Click step 3 will only give:

Please make sure USB Debugging is on and you have already removed and replaced the usb cord to your phone to ensure it it registers.
Mounting /system
Copying su and changing permissions.
Reboot 2 or 3 times then open RomManager and intall the Thunderbolt recovery by clicking "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery".

After rebooting the device, I tried the Fix Permissions in ROM Manager and still no go there either. So, not sure what the Root status is at this point. LOL. This has worked no problem for some folks?

Last edited:
OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
Yes it has worked for others, but there have been issues with the same place your at

What does ADB show your status is? Is it seeing the device?

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
Just curious if you have tried this yet

Unplug your phone. Make sure debug is on, check your system and kill the process root.exe, plug phone back in and set to charge mode, turn root back on and perform step 3 again.

jawa6969

Reaction score
Just curious if you have tried this yet

Unplug your phone. Make sure debug is on, check your system and kill the process root.exe, plug phone back in and set to charge mode, turn root back on and perform step 3 again.

Did that. :) - Still no worky.

Um. Do you think I can pick up from Step 7 in the manual method to finish this (using below)?

Step 7

Push SU, busybox, and psneuter:
adb push psneuter /data/local/
adb push busybox /data/local/
adb push su /data/local/
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/psneuter
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/busybox
To gain root:
adb shell
/data/local/psneuter
The following will remount /system and set up SU:
adb shell
mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /system
/data/local/busybox cp /data/local/su /system/xbin/su
chown 0:0 /system/xbin/su
chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
Yep, I believe so. Im asking right now. I know thats what I had to do in order to get mine working but dont want to tell you wrong and mess something up. You can try that at your own risk. Or hold tight and im working on a definite answer right now.

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
Ok just got the word. Should be good to go with this. Should resolve your issue for you.

jawa6969

Reaction score
Hmmmmm... Not feeling good about this. Following the manual method with the video posted on Droid Life, I am good up until I go into adb shell. On the video, when the guy types out adb shell it shows a dollar sign. On mine it shows a #. When I try the next command: /data/local/psneuter I get mmap() failed. Operation not permitted. Is that because it is in charge only mode?

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
Yeah go here and install this to fix.

• View topic - [GUIDE] ADB for "Dummies"

It automatically install ADB the proper way so it will function correctly.

After you install this do a test an try the easy root method step 3 again and see what happens. Want to see if this fixes it.

If not do step 7 from the manual method. Should be golden then.

jawa6969

Reaction score
Damn. Still the same results.

Here is what I show in the command prompt:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\>cd c:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools

c:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb devices
List of devices attached
HT121S004039 device

c:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb shell
# /data/local/psneuter
/data/local/psneuter
mmap() failed. Operation not permitted
#

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
Ok then not sure,

Go here : Easyroot + S-Off - Page 102 - xda-developers

And post the issue your having. Make sure you include that you are on step 3 and have rom man super user etc etc showing up but that you can run as SU.

Also include the version # of the root your using and also include that you have tried step 7 from the manual process with ADB and get the following.

jawa6969

Reaction score
Ok then not sure,

Go here : Easyroot + S-Off - Page 102 - xda-developers

And post the issue your having. Make sure you include that you are on step 3 and have rom man super user etc etc showing up but that you can run as SU.

Also include the version # of the root your using and also include that you have tried step 7 from the manual process with ADB and get the following.

LOL. Starting to become comical. I cannot post in that thread because I have fewer then 10 posts (just registered).

Don't want to set up my phone in the event I am going to have to reflash something. I am stuck.