[Updated] Droid X Gingerbread Update Comes With New Bootloader that Stops Root Access

Aixelsyd

Reaction score
Locked, yes. But not encrypted like the DX. Big difference.

yeah well give it time it won't last long.

Yep, the TBs bootloder was unlocked weeks ago. The DX ... not at all, and many great devs have tried and quit.

Hate to tell you but it wasn't really unlocked they just beat it by a leaked build that was not locked. Secondly it is not encypted like the Moto devices are. To further add if you think the next batch of devices won't have new updated locks on them you are sadly mistaken. There are new policies going into affect that will require the devices to be locked or the carrier will not sell them. So folks can believe all they want things will continue to move forward like we've seen in the past but that reality will smack them in the face in the not to distant future.

Case and point why do you think the Merge was never released on VZW. And on that note VZW was not happy on how fast the tBolt was hacked.

Aixelsyd

Reaction score
This is mostly in response to Aixelsyd's post...

I would be perfectly OK that in order to get an unlocked phone that:
  • Mandated tiered data plan.
  • I brick it - VZW is not responsible, I take responsibility.

Tiered Data Plan:
Unlocking tethering shouldn't be a theft of any sort. Main reason is I see my connection is my connection, I should be able to use it as I see fit and if I go over, charge me. Conversely I don't see it necessarily as a good thing to have an unlimited connection and pound VZW's data networks into the ground. Sadly the way the plans are structured at this moment it allows for people to abuse it.

Allow me to be responsible for my phone
I need a phone carrier, not a nanny. It's my phone, let me do what I please with it. I'd happily run Blur if it was a really killer interface. Open up the marketplace of ideas and let the best man win. Frankly I love the default google UI, it's simple, lets me do exactly what I want efficiently.

One of my biggest beefs with completely locked down phones is the fact the carriers have been far from benevolent with their powers:
  • Up-your-arseware that cannot be removed (Madden, etc. on DroidX).
  • Obnoxious UI elements that consume valuable screen real estate and detracts from the whole look and feel of the device. (OK this is mostly aimed at my KRZR I had years back...)

This does not include arbitrary onerous restrictions they can inflict for the purpose of extorting, er extracting more money from us. Who is to stop them from disallowing us to use Google maps or any other application? Or force-disabling pieces of the hardware such as the GPS? - I don't believe for a second that VZW hesitate would do that if the users wouldn't kill them for doing so.

I'm right there with ya as I've been buying off contract for the past 5 plus yrs anyways. And currently its no concern atm to me really. I'll stick with my dev unit I was lucky enough to get my hands on so I can do what I want with it. So Moto and VZW can stick it for the time being in my book seeing as I have my unlocked X

jrlecato

Reaction score
My rooted DROIDX locked up in me ( I forgot to reboot between installing apps. Two apps at once froze it. The replacement phone had the bread. I tried the factory reset but the bread remained. OOPS!!!!