[HACKS] UPDATED Droid RAZR Utility [WINDOWS]

b419kid

Reaction score
Questions

Is anyone willing/able to take a few minutes to answer my questions above? (I apologize if I seem impatient or nooby)

Through research I think I have found that the Motorola Droid Razr [Maxx] doesn't have true CWM support. Furthermore, even through bootstrap recovery isn't accessible without booting android. By reading up on the subject, I have found what I think are two solutions to this: a) a patch to CWM that forces it to automatically boot into CWM every boot or b) safestrap: which prompts the user to boot recovery.

Are either of these solutions truly viable--do they allow a user to access recovery even if he/she cannot boot android? (<-- I.E. the true point to recovery)

-------------------

Please correct me if I have misstated anything. After all, I am very new to this.

Thanks in advance.

--|3/<

Last edited:

reallyneatgirl

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the quick response. Just two more questions:

1) Once I am rooted, what recovery software do I want to use~safestrap or bootstrap?

2) Also, will these recovery systems always be accessible if android cannot boot? Is there any situation where the phone will be truly software-bricked?

Thanks in advance
--|3/<

[QUESTIONS EDITED A FEW TIMES]

You can use either. Safestrap is more advanced, it will force boot you into recovery every time you boot your phone, unless you bypass it. Some people like this, I feel it is annoying. Bootstrap works perfectly, in my option, and you are able to boot into recovery when needed. CWM is simply a program that among other things, allows thy to boot into bootstrap from within the phone, though this is not needed on the razr as the razrbootstrap.apk both allows installation of bootstrap and booting into it.

Do you want to boot into recovery every phone boot? There is no need with the Razr/Maxx, provided you have a good cable and a computer running Razr Utility. This utility allows you to completely reset your your phone back to stock through the AP Fastboot mode. (If you can't get into that, there is no way you could get into any sort of recovery). Check out the thread I linked you for the Utility, it should answer a lot of question you have. It also allows you to root, install your choice of recovery and unroot.

Sorry it took a bit for someone to get back to you. I don't usually reply, I'm a bit of a lurker.

Last edited:

b419kid

Reaction score
You can use either. Safestrap is more advanced, it will force boot you into recovery every time you boot your phone, unless you bypass it. Some people like this, I feel it is annoying. Bootstrap works perfectly, in my option, and you are able to boot into recovery when needed. CWM is simply a program that among other things, allows thy to boot into bootstrap from within the phone, though this is not needed on the razr as the razrbootstrap.apk both allows installation of bootstrap and booting into it.

Do you want to boot into recovery every phone boot? There is no need with the Razr/Maxx, provided you have a good cable and a computer running Razr Utility. This utility allows you to completely reset your your phone back to stock through the AP Fastboot mode. (If you can't get into that, there is no way you could get into any sort of recovery). Check out the thread I link you for the Utility, it should answer a lot of question you have. It also allows you to root, install your choice of recovery and unroot.

Sorry it took a bit for someone to get back to you. I don't usually reply, I'm a bit of a lurker.

Thanks for the response! Just still a little confused. Would be wonderful if you could try to answer my proceeding questions.

A) Can I still access motorola's recovery (that allows me to select AP fastboot)if CMW is installed [through safestrap or bootstrap]

---------------

B) In addition, will Motorola's recovery always be available regardless of what I flash to phone? (I am very afraid of deleting it.) I want to be positive that restores are always possible. {In this regard, I am very used to iPhone-- bricking is basically impossible.}

Thanks in advance. And ty you for answering my previous questions. I really appreciate it.

--|3/<

Last edited:

b419kid

Reaction score
Yes and Yes.

:biggrin:

Thanks for the quick replies! And sorry for all the questions!! For now, I think I only have two more:

Silly of me to not have asked this before but:

1) How does one access motorola's recovery (regardless of bootstrap/safestrap/CWM/root)
2) How does one access CWM on the Razr? (without booting it through the app in andorid)
-Or is this not possible because of the locked bootloader? <-- (I think I read that somewhere... that the only way to access CWM was by booting it through the bootstraper app in the OS<--- making it useless.

------------

Also: Could I not restore through a backup in CWM without AP Fastboot mode?

My sincerest thanks,
|3/<

Last edited:

BiGG WiLL

Reaction score
I have a quick noob question. I highly thank anyone who can reply in a DETAILED answer.

I'm rooted from the last update and I'm thinking of starting over cuz i have a few problems.
1) Sometimes my music will not play when headphones or bluetooth is plugged into my phone. My music will play (I can see the time of the song growing) but i will not hear anything until i unplug the headphones (any headphone jack) or disconnect BT... This is normally fixed with a full restart of the phone.

2) My accounts keep saying that the password and/or username is incorrect (all my accounts), but I assure you that everything is correct!! I type in the right info, but they still wont sync... (I've been using apps lately for my FB and twitter posting/browsing as a substitute)

3) When I got to check for phone updates it says "Check for updates are
[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]unavailable" or something like that..

My question is, how exactly do I use this utility? Should i unroot my phone first (I was going to use Ginger unroot)? Or does it matter?
Also, if i do need to unroot, should I use my safteystrap to flash back (i dont even know how to do that, i'll look at a youtube vid or something) to my original settings before i rooted??
[/FONT]

OP
mattlgroff

mattlgroff

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Only need to do option 1. Should tell you how to use it ;)

BiGG WiLL

Reaction score
Option 1 as in I only need to unroot my phone?

I don't need to delete/uninstall/change anything else?
Note that I have Safteystrap and a few other root related apps installed.

OP
mattlgroff

mattlgroff

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Option 1 as in I only need to unroot my phone?

I don't need to delete/uninstall/change anything else?
Note that I have Safteystrap and a few other root related apps installed.
Option 1 in the utility is "Restore to Gingerbread 2.3.6." Unroot won't be necessary if you restore.

gling

Reaction score
Used the 151 utility yesterday to come back from the ICS leak in order to get the new update. The only issue (besides wiping the internal SD) is now I have no 4G. I've checked the settings in Mobil Networks, tried toggling Airplane mode and still have only 3G. I'm in a strong 4G area and have always had 4G up to flashing back with the new utility. Never had this happen when flashing back using the previous versions.
Any suggestions?

b419kid

Reaction score
Root->Overheat->Unroot->{boot loop}-> restore!!

Hello all:

So, long story short: I worked up the courage to risk a root. It worked~amazing! But, I started to notice that my phone was overheating. Next, I tried the un-root option in the utility. It caused a boot loop. I used the restore option... and finally breathed when it booted. First and foremost, I want to thank the developer of this tool for its awesomeness. But, I would like to point out my concerns:

1) The un-root option did not work for me... all it did was create a boot loop. Any suggestions?
2) When I rooted, my phone started to overheat from previous temperatures. Any ideas on why?

I think I am unrooted. So, restore worked like a charm! :)

Device: Droid Razr Maxx

--|3/<

Terrigno

Reaction score
Hello all:

So, long story short: I worked up the courage to risk a root. It worked~amazing! But, I started to notice that my phone was overheating. Next, I tried the un-root option in the utility. It caused a boot loop. I used the restore option... and finally breathed when it booted. First and foremost, I want to thank the developer of this tool for its awesomeness. But, I would like to point out my concerns:

1) The un-root option did not work for me... all it did was create a boot loop. Any suggestions?
2) When I rooted, my phone started to overheat from previous temperatures. Any ideas on why?

I think I am unrooted. So, restore worked like a charm! :)

Device: Droid Razr Maxx

--|3/<

Overheating because of rooting? Doesn't sound right.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

b419kid

Reaction score
~Amazing!~

Overheating because of rooting? Doesn't sound right.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I figured as much... turned out to be a coincidence.

--------------------------------------------------

Just wanted to say that this utility is amazing! First I restored to stock, rooted, used OTA Rootkeeper, and updated to this morning's update. Working perfectly!

I have just one question: Titanium Backup doesn't see any backups on my SD card: did the SD get wiped during the restore to stock?

--|3/<

doggy2965

Reaction score
I'm non rooted and on. 174 leak I need to get back to. 173 will step one do that for me?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums