[Updated] Droid RAZR Pre-orders Already Sold-Out

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
My answers are in red. I wasn't taking a shot at the Razr, it is obviously a great phone. People just have different opinions on what they want in their device. And I don't really know why those questions were even asked... I simply responded to you speaking about the ICS update getting to the Razr "later anyways"...implying that there was no benefit to the nexus regarding software updates. I was just pointing out that Moto has taken features of past Android OS updates out of their OTA update builds. Who knows if it will continue? If you want to trust Motorola for your updates then fine, I was simply stating my opinion that I would prefer to receive my updates from Google, who created ICS.

And I thought it was clear that I don't rely on Moto for my updates, hence my running CM7. ;-)

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
And I thought it was clear that I don't rely on Moto for my updates, hence my running CM7. ;-)

I wish I could have gotten CM7 to run well on my D2 & DX. I never could. It was a stable experience, but it is pretty hard for a true AOSP rom to be 100% functioning without the ability to change kernels. It is really a shame what Verizon is doing with the Moto bootloaders because Moto hardware is top notch.

Last edited:

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wish I could have gotten CM7 to run well on my D2 & DX. I never could. It was a stable experience, but it is pretty hard for a true AOSP to be 100% functioning without the ability to change kernels. It is really a shame what Verizon is doing with the Moto bootloaders because Moto hardware is top notch.

it was glitchy when I ran the Froyo based version, but since they built a GB version it has been rock steady. No more random reboots, a 30% boost in performance, clean, stable. Very happy with it.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I only ran the GB ones on my D2/DX, I ran the froyo ones on my DPro. The GB ones were obviously much more stable. If you don't rely on OTA updates at all, then your the exact type of person that would benefit from the Nexus' unlocked bootloader. There will most likely be a vast amount of roms to choose from for the nexus and there won't be little annoyances caused by the inability to change the kernel.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I only ran the GB ones on my D2/DX, I ran the froyo ones on my DPro. The GB ones were obviously much more stable. If you don't rely on OTA updates at all, then your the exact type of person that would benefit from the Nexus' unlocked bootloader. There will most likely be a vast amount of roms to choose from for the nexus and there won't be little annoyances caused by the inability to change the kernel.

Well, that is a good point, having a phone that is completely open and unlocked and you can do whatever you want with it...

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm sure the general public does not know what ICS is yet. They do remember the Razr name and know the name Droid. My IT director (who has a Droid X) looked at me like I had two heads when I started talking about ICS yesterday, (so sad:sad:)

In addition I don't believe there have been any major announcements for ICS except for Tokyo.

Edit: just signed into Verizon and went through the steps and it never once showed out-of-stock.

Very true, Razr was indeed the phone to have when it first came out and had very strong sales years later.

Good that the general public has no idea about ICS or Nexus, means more chances I get one on release day:p

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
I can't believe the demand for this device. It doesn't look that great to me, especially with a vzw nexus phone around the corner! Besides, I refuse to buy encrypted moto-crap...

doublea500

Reaction score
So what?

1) It will have a MicroSD slot, the Nexus won't - This is preference. Matters to some, others not so much. This is not a big deal, if anything it will be faster because it doesnt have to wait to load apps off the sd card. with no microsd slot, the galaxy nexus will be able to turn on and actually be usable. unlike my droid 1 where i have to wait because it is "Waiting for Sd Card".
2) It will have the tougher gorilla glass, the Nexus won't. - Where did you find out what kind of glass the Nexus has? It hasn't been released yet. There is no way to tell which is stronger. If this is your second strongest put down for the galaxy nexus, then your out. ive had my droid 1 for 2 years and just found out that it uses gorilla glass. either way, people are probably going to put screen protectors on their phones.
3) It may end up being a faster phone than the Nexus, looking at some of the benchmarks currently out that show the Nexus lagging behind several current phones. - Considering benchmarks even translate into real world performance? Neither phone is out yet, it is silly to speculate about which is "faster" yet. you dont know its going to be faster. it has slightly better specifications however, the galaxy nexus is actually optimized for the new operating system, while the razr is not. sure the razr will get it, but like patmw said, you dont know which parts of ics you are getting.
4) I will be able to install an ICS-based, blur-free ROM at some point. I simply want custom kernels, which I don't see coming to the Razr. People do not like taking the risk of rooting their phones, especially these two phones because of the high price. they want to play it safe, and galaxy nexus already has that. and also, with a locked bootloader it will take even longer to develop a way to root the razr and its not easy for developers to work on a bloat free version of a NEW operating system for a NEW phone.

My responses are in red. I wasn't taking a shot at the Razr, it is obviously a great phone. People just have different opinions on what they want in their device. And I don't really know why those comments (1-4) were even made... I simply responded to you speaking about the ICS update getting to the Razr "later anyways"...implying that there was no benefit to the nexus regarding software updates. I was just pointing out that Moto has taken features of past Android OS updates out of their OTA update builds. Who knows if Moto will continue to do that? If you want to trust Motorola for your updates then fine, I was simply stating my opinion that I would prefer to receive my updates from Google, who created ICS.

I have to say, i agree on you completely with this. i do have some things to add about your arguement though.

which, i included in blue :).

and to add onto the next part- as i said before, i have the motorola droid. we never got the gingerbread update, not even a small piece of it, nada.
The razr is a great phone with amazing hardware. looks like its slightly better then the galaxy nexus, however ice cream sandwich is the main factor.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I see. The only thing I could think of the RAZR being better is slimness. They both use the same processor (The RAZR has a 4460 not a 4430), same RAM, both 4G. Screen is preference, SD card slot is preference, camera is probably better on GN because it's a Samsung camera and it has zero shutter lag. Megapixels don't mean squat unless you are trying to make a large print (and from your phone, I doubt you will). Samsung camera's are better than Motorola cameras (thought Moto cameras aren't horrible).

Logan3824

Reaction score
I see. The only thing I could think of the RAZR being better is slimness. They both use the same processor (The RAZR has a 4460 not a 4430), same RAM, both 4G. Screen is preference, SD card slot is preference, camera is probably better on GN because it's a Samsung camera and it has zero shutter lag. Megapixels don't mean squat unless you are trying to make a large print (and from your phone, I doubt you will). Samsung camera's are better than Motorola cameras (thought Moto cameras aren't horrible).

One deciding factor for me is durability.... I've had my droid 1 for almost 2 years now and have dropped it "hard falls" 10+ times...I also have dropped it in a pool, tequila, and orange juice (all separate times) and it has continued to work just as good as day one. Screen has NO scratches on it and yes my power button did break off when it dropped once but I'd have to say this phone is purely beast.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ahh yes sorry, I forgot about durability and Moto products are very solid. Obviously, I haven't had a chance to mess with the GN but most Samsung products are pretty solid too. They may feel plastic like or whatever but they are pretty damn tough!

KeepItReal

Reaction score
I will wait and see to compare both phones. My major concern? Samsung's poor performance for software o/s updates makes me hesitant about the Nexus. But since its a Google phone, maybe they are in control. Plus I read there are stipulations with the ICS Terms that manufacturers have to agree to update their devices in a more timely manner. Razr, Nexus, Droid 4, these phones are moving at a breakneck speed! We are going to want each and every model for the next 6 months! ! Quad processors? ? Both a blessing and a curse, lol....

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

bp328i

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I have to say, i agree on you completely with this. i do have some things to add about your arguement though.

which, i included in blue :).

and to add onto the next part- as i said before, i have the motorola droid. we never got the gingerbread update, not even a small piece of it, nada.
The razr is a great phone with amazing hardware. looks like its slightly better then the galaxy nexus, however ice cream sandwich is the main factor.

And no one has talked about not being able to remove the battery on the Razr. Am I the only person who is away from an outlet for long amounts of time. I bring an extra battery with me and when the phone dies I pop-in the new battery and off I go with a fully charged phone.

I will take being able to change the battery over the sdcard any day.