[Updated] Droid RAZR Pre-orders Already Sold-Out

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
droid-razr-preorders-sold-out.JPG

[Update]: Apparently, many of our users are reporting that the phone is still available for pre-order for them, yet for several of us, the above screen shows it out-of-stock. The best intel we could gather was that the outages could be area-specific. Perhaps certain zip codes only get a specific amount of the phone, and have run out faster than others.

Wow! That was fast. From the looks of things, the Motorola Droid RAZR pre-orders on Verizon are already out of stock after the first day!

I guess those folks that were on the fence about this phone will need to wait until November 10th now... :(

Source: Verizon Wireless - Motorola Droid RAZR Pre-Orders

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm actually surprised that they sold out online. Guess alot less people are interested in ICS than I thought, then again, no release date is a major reason I bet.

ConqSoft

Reaction score
Still works for me... They must have just hit the site at a bad time or something.

bp328i

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'm actually surprised that they sold out online. Guess alot less people are interested in ICS than I thought, then again, no release date is a major reason I bet.

I'm sure the general public does not know what ICS is yet. They do remember the Razr name and know the name Droid. My IT director (who has a Droid X) looked at me like I had two heads when I started talking about ICS yesterday, (so sad:sad:)

In addition I don't believe there have been any major announcements for ICS except for Tokyo.

Edit: just signed into Verizon and went through the steps and it never once showed out-of-stock.

Last edited:

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
You all are braver than me, I always wait until they'er in the stores so I can fondle and read several reviews first!

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6

I willing to bet that most people who pre-ordered the Razr most likely don't know much (if anything) about the Galaxy Nexus. Other than those of us who scavenge the internet for info regarding the galaxy nexus, I would bet that not many of the mainstream public even knows about the G-Nex coming to VZW. There has been no real "public" unveiling (regarding carriers) and we still have yet to even figure out a confirmed release date.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am going to buy whichever proves to be the best PHONE. ICS is not the deciding factor, as ALL new phones will get it. One phone just comes with it first, but if that phone is inferior to the others, is it worth settling for a second or 3rd place phone, just to get ICS a month earlier than other phones?

Not to me, If I am spending a few hundred bucks on something, I want the best hardware. The software will come either way... Being able to brag to my friends that I have ICS for a few weeks before they do, just isn't a good plan IMHO.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
You all are braver than me, I always wait until they'er in the stores so I can fondle and read several reviews first!

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I am going to buy whichever proves to be the best PHONE. ICS is not the deciding factor, as ALL new phones will get it. One phone just comes with it first, but if that phone is inferior to the others, is it worth settling for a second or 3rd place phone, just to get ICS a month earlier than other phones?

Not to me, If I am spending a few hundred bucks on something, I want the best hardware. The software will come either way... Being able to brag to my friends that I have ICS for a few weeks before they do, just isn't a good plan IMHO.

That's just it...while the Razr will definitely be receiving ICS, there is no telling how close it will actually be to the true AOSP Google builds that will be on the Nexus. The builds on the nexus are how Android is intended to be. I have mentioned this before, but it is essentially up to the phone manufacturer (on non-nexus phones) to decide which features of an update are included. For example, look at the Droid X, Droid 2, etc., they have both received the gingerbread update, but neither of them featured the popular crt screen off animation. While I realize that this specific feature is small, it really does suck (in my opinion) that moto, htc, etc. all have the choice to pick and choose whichever features from AOSP ICS are included (and not included) in their OTA update. Some people, myself included, just have more faith in Google, rather than Motorola (or any manufacturer for that matter), to providing suitable updates.

Last edited:

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's just it...while the Razr will definitely be receiving ICS, there is no telling how close it will actually be to the true AOSP Google builds that will be on the Nexus. The builds on the nexus are how Android is supposed to be. I have mentioned this before, but it is essentially up to the phone manufacturer (on non-nexus phones) to decide which features of an update are included. For example, look at the Droid X, Droid 2, etc., they have both received the gingerbread update, but neither of them featured the popular crt screen off animation. While I realize that this specific feature is small, it really does suck (in my opinion) that moto, htc, etc. all have the choice to pick and choose whatever features from AOSP ICS are included (and not included) in their OTA update.

So what?

1) It will have a MicroSD slot, the Nexus won't
2) It will have the tougher gorilla glass, the Nexus won't.
3) It may end up being a faster phone than the Nexus, looking at some of the benchmarks currently out that show the Nexus lagging behind several current phones.
4) I will be able to install an ICS-based, blur-free ROM at some point.

So if it means getting a better phone and having to wait a month or two for the software to catch up, I am fine with that. Like I said, just being able to have ICS *right now*, is not worth having to have lesser hardware.

As for the CRT screen off feature, that is so minimal of a feature that I don't think anyone cares. It looks cool the first time you see it, but after that you end up forgetting about it. I have it on my DX, running the GB version of CM7. It is a feature, but it is not a benefit I guess.

I will wait till both phones are out and I can see how they stack up, but at this point I am leaning towards the Razr and then loading an ICS based CyanogenMod ROM on it.

zathus

Reaction score
I'm going with razr. Both phones are great but I like moto phones more. To me, they always make a solid phone and use top notch hardware. Software can be replaced, hardware can't.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
So what?

1) It will have a MicroSD slot, the Nexus won't - This is preference. Matters to some, others not so much.
2) It will have the tougher gorilla glass, the Nexus won't. - Where did you find out what kind of glass the Nexus has? It hasn't been released yet. There is no way to tell which is stronger.
3) It may end up being a faster phone than the Nexus, looking at some of the benchmarks currently out that show the Nexus lagging behind several current phones. - Considering benchmarks even translate into real world performance? Neither phone is out yet, it is silly to speculate about which is "faster" yet.
4) I will be able to install an ICS-based, blur-free ROM at some point. I simply want custom kernels, which I don't see coming to the Razr.

My responses are in red. I wasn't taking a shot at the Razr, it is obviously a great phone. People just have different opinions on what they want in their device. And I don't really know why those comments (1-4) were even made... I simply responded to you speaking about the ICS update getting to the Razr "later anyways"...implying that there was no benefit to the nexus regarding software updates. I was just pointing out that Moto has taken features of past Android OS updates out of their OTA update builds. Who knows if Moto will continue to do that? If you want to trust Motorola for your updates then fine, I was simply stating my opinion that I would prefer to receive my updates from Google, who created ICS.

Last edited: