Updated Bionic still having trouble with apps on "SD"

sbergus

Reaction score
So I got the new update for the Bionic and excitedly moved many of my large apps to the media area of my phone (this update coincided nicely with the Android Marketplace 10 billion sale, so I have plenty of apps to move.)

While it appears the original bug was repaired (none of the apps have disappeared) it appears a slightly less annoying problem remains. If I power cycle my phone, many of the icons for the apps stored in the media area disappear, but only if the icons are stored in a folder on my desktop.

Is anyone else having this problem? Anyone know of a way to fix it other than deleting the icons and reloading them into the folder?

GAstorino

Reaction score
I tool am also still having problems with the update. The notification led has never worked and thought this update would rectify it but no. Don't know how to correct that.

Tonik

Reaction score
Anyone know of a way to fix it other than deleting the icons and reloading them into the folder?

You made your homescreen shortcuts by long pressing your home screen, then selecting applications and picking the app? If so,that creates a shortcut icon that gets it's image from the SD card. When you reboot your phone the homescreen makes the icons before your SD card fully mounts. So it can't see the image from the SD card so it drops in the generic 'gear' image. I have been told it is a common problem for Droids that mound SD cards on the slow side.

Try opening 'all apps' and long pressing the applications shortcut on that menu...and that will pop a box and you can select 'send to homescreen'. Then move it to your folders. I have not tried this with folders (don't use them) but doing it this way fixed what you describe for my homescreen icons.

OP
S

sbergus

Reaction score
What you describe is the method I use to create all of my shortcuts, and it's true, although the gear will sometimes show up when my phone boots, it will revert to the real icon shortly. This isn't true with the apps in a folder.