Update

Discussion in 'Samsung Droid Charge' started by Ghostt, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Ghostt

Ghostt New Member

I couldn't find this in a thread, so sorry if it's already been asked but...

Will the Charge be updated to 2.3 when it's released? Thanks.
  2. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

It's samsung, so I wouldn't bet on it lol

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  3. Ghostt

Ghostt New Member

Haha yeah I've been reading about Samsung's lack of commitment with released phones. But could you just hack the phone and add the update when it is released for other phones?
  4. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

Depends on if the bootloader is encrypted. I don't really know much about samsung phones so no clue whether their bootloader is encrypted or not. If it is, no you will not be able to update yourself.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  5. mth04

mth04 Premium Member Premium Member

The source code has dropped already. After spending some time with it today and talking with some friends. It appears the bootlaoder is unlocked as well

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
  6. EgooEspada

EgooEspada New Member

Should be fairly simple to have an upgrade path to the Droid Charge quickly. It's pretty much the Fascinate is a 4G radio and a bump in screen real estate. So, I expect to see it upgrade to Gingerbread in the future. The question isn't how long Samsung is going to take, but how long Verizon will. I'm pretty sure Samsung is already working on Gingerbread for the Galaxy S variants. The Droid Charge is carrying a strong brand, so I expect it will get treated as a priority for Verizon.
  7. mth04

mth04 Premium Member Premium Member

I expect GB for both the Bolt on charge by mid summer.. as well as the D2 and Di....
  8. vzwcooter

vzwcooter New Member

I broke my OG Droid and am considering between the Charge, TB, Dinc2...or possibly waiting longer. My screen is cracked, still usable, but I can't make up my mind!!!
  9. EgooEspada

EgooEspada New Member

I'd honestly wait. Maybe for the DX2 or the Bionic/Targa.
  10. vzwcooter

vzwcooter New Member

Thanks dude...if i wait I can get my NE2...I guess I need to make sure replacing my screen I don't break it any further. I just ordered a new screen from Fleabay...so going to take a whirl at replacing the screen myself lol
  11. turdbogls

turdbogls New Member

i have a feeling the "DROID" branding is going to be driving the updates pretty frequently for this phone. Verizon will be ALL OVER samsung if they start lagging behind.

just look at the droid phones, they are all on the way to getting GB pretty soon (except the OG droid)

this phone is going to be a hot seller if only they would drop the price down a tad.

my buddy and i are probably going to head down to VZW tomorrow to check out the big 3 new phones. i really hope the charge amazes me. i like samsung, and hope they do well.
  12. music life

music life Member

im gonna be doing the same. i cant wait for the bionic or targa.

ive been seriously considering the TB but figured i would wait for the droid charge to come out.

the 300 price tag is worrying for sammys track record tho.

i would like to hear your thoughts when you see them
  13. CR4V3

CR4V3 New Member

Absolutely, Verizon needs to ensure the Droid brand is running the latest and greatest. It's their ace in the hole.
  14. rmreagle

rmreagle New Member

Which is stupid seeing as they are ok with pushing outdated tech... I'd rather have a kickass spec phone running an older OS than the newest OS without the specs to support it.

Im very torn atm with this device... I love the screen, hate what i hear about the processor being an older and nonrefreshed version of hummingbird, ok ram now def not on a two year contract, in a vid of a speed test against the TB loading a website the TB bar finished first but it seemed like the content actually loaded faster on the charge. And now LTE causes release delay. I wasn't even considering this phone til the bionic got delayed but now im wondering if it isn't worth waiting for all over again to get the wave of the future dual core.

Again i'd rather have the tech to support the software updates that will continue to roll out over the next two years...
  15. CR4V3

CR4V3 New Member

But if the updates aren't forthcoming then what's the point in the latest and greatest hardware?

Eclair to Froyo was a big jump because of the behind the scenes improvements. If Gingerbread handles the back end better then Froyo, that Hummingbird's going to sing and you wont really notice a difference. I bet most people, even power users, won't really notice a difference.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums