update.zip signature

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
this is something I've been wondering about and I've not been able to find an answer or even any speculation regarding this

part of the reason we can't flash the kernel is because of a locked bootloader, however an official motorola update CAN flash the kernel etc etc... being as it's signed by them.

I remember with the PS3 when geohot found how to sign with the official sony signature used for games you were able to basically make the ps3 your *****.

so my question is, would it be possible to get ahold of this signature and be able to sign our own updates, making it possible to update the kernel without having to unlock the bootloader. As we would basically have full access.

I'm sure it wouldn't be easy to get, and I know I wouldn't be able to help.... just something I've been thinking about and figured I'd ask as there has to be some way of unlocking this thing.

I also might be an idiot and this already exists I just don't know how to find it... or haven't heard of it. just kinda thinking out loud

Last edited:
OP
liftedplane

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
so no one knows anything about this? out of 116 views? not even an, you're an idiot read this link? that sucks

OP
liftedplane

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
You're an idiot! Actually that is thinking outside the box, if a dev could get access to a signature that might actually work? Or not?

Now that i'm done crying....

But seriously that's what I thought I don't imagine its easy. But it can be done

Sent from my ROOTED DROID BIONIC using DROID forums!

wseyller

Reaction score
We're probably looking at a RSA 1024bit encryption.

Assuming you can try 10^9 keys per second one one CPU (more or less one per two CPU cycles), and assuming you have 10^80 CPUs (one per every atom in universe), you'd need 10^55 years to have 1% chance of breaking that key by brute force. And our universe exists for ~1.5*10^10 years.

The only brute force viable here is breaking into Motorola by brute force and stealing the key.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
liftedplane

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
We're probably looking at a RSA 1024bit encryption.

Assuming you can try 10^9 keys per second one one CPU (more or less one per two CPU cycles), and assuming you have 10^80 CPUs (one per every atom in universe), you'd need 10^55 years to have 1% chance of breaking that key by brute force. And our universe exists for ~1.5*10^10 years.

The only brute force viable here is breaking into Motorola by brute force and stealing the key.

Seriously I never said brute force. How did geohot break Sony's? It its possible. Or use folding for everyone on this forum that wants to.

All I am asking is if it would be possible and why hasn't someone tried. What the devs have done already is amazing

wseyller

Reaction score
Seriously I never said brute force. How did geohot break Sony's? It its possible. Or use folding for everyone on this forum that wants to.

All I am asking is if it would be possible and why hasn't someone tried. What the devs have done already is amazing

Not detailed familiar with geohots exploit. question is do we have a hacker on geohots level to pull off such a feat. Also look at how long took to break the ps3 after release. Our bionics dont have the lifespan of the ps3 so breaking this 3 years down the road doesnt do any good. Not trying to be negative. Totally different type of device for one. I hope it comes before the end of the year.

OP
liftedplane

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Not detailed familiar with geohots exploit. question is do we have a hacker on geohots level to pull off such a feat. Also look at how long took to break the ps3 after release. Our bionics dont have the lifespan of the ps3 so breaking this 3 years down the road doesnt do any good. Not trying to be negative. Totally different type of device for one. I hope it comes before the end of the year.

True I think he somehow found the keys so no exploit it just made it so anyone could sign as Sony.

if we were lucky they would be the same on all or most motorola but who knows.

If we are lucky someone will find something from the unlocked razr that can be used as these phones are almost identical inside. Only problem is the unlocked version is the euro one... So who knows. Maybe someday someone can change the way VZW views it.

konellaz

Reaction score
I honestly doubt vzw will change their views.. They are working around the clock trying to stop free loaders from damaging the integrity of thier Lte network.. Next step... Sealed cases.. How will you do a batt pull when your in a boot loop and your device will not power down.. Razor and Nexus will have non removable batts.. I'm a partial neewbie, but I'm still forever rooted and running custom roms. Close friend who works the Lte team in Chandler informs me.. Its our own faults.. Quit stealing by using UN authorized tethering!!! Scumbags!
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I honestly doubt vzw will change their views.. They are working around the clock trying to stop free loaders from damaging the integrity of thier Lte network.. Next step... Sealed cases.. How will you do a batt pull when your in a boot loop and your device will not power down.. Razor and Nexus will have non removable batts.. I'm a partial neewbie, but I'm still forever rooted and running custom roms. Close friend who works the Lte team in Chandler informs me.. Its our own faults.. Quit stealing by using UN authorized tethering!!! Scumbags!

Good one bud. And BTW, the Galaxy Nexus does have a removable battery

Boot Manager

konellaz

Reaction score
My bad... I was miss informed.. Guess the Nexus will be my choice since vzw said I get to chose my replacement. since I'm on my 4th bionic due to the data issue and the radio burning up.

OP
liftedplane

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score

My problem is VZW is still trying that unauthorized tether crap as an excuse for giving us less control. Its a very small majority out there that tethers without paying... Hell its been over a year since the last time I even tried.

What they are doing is giving power users less and less control under the guise of protecting their network integrity and our warranty. Its my warranty if I want to break it so be it. They aren't going to stop the rooting every time they try something new a Dev breaks it. Its wasting their own time and resources. Kinda like that copy protection that was broken with a magic marker. Millions of dollars in research thwarted by a two dollar marker.

My point is they aren't ever going to stop it so spend your efforts on giving better user experience and customer service.

probably won't happen anytime soon. if ever

OP
liftedplane

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Plenty of people tether without root access.

it's still not as big a problem as VZW makes it out to be. Just an easy scape goat