[UPDATE] XDA, CyanogenMod joins Google & Wiki on Blackout

Reaction score
Saw your post before you edited... don't you read what you're posting, silly? :tongue:

Lmao!

I do. But sometimes it sounds better in my head. And then when I say it, I hear it how other people heard it and think, "WTH??" Lol hence fezrock's (from DXF) assessment of me and then became a signature of mine because I liked it - "King of the 'Self-Edit.'"

Your other post, by the way, was a very good 25¢ worth.

Might I add one thing? What if we could actually change ourselves instead of having someone else do it for us? That would fix it too. But, like you said, it's a pipe dream.

*Edited :D

Snow02

Reaction score
Ok, just watched the video. Twice.

Very nice argument, helps clear things up. However, I do want to point out two things that I think the speaker misses, intentionally...

1) He talks about innocent until proven guilty and that we should not be treated as thieves on the internet. But aren't we? I mean seriously, let's be brutally honest here. Which of you reading this has never downloaded an MP3 that you didn't pay for? A movie? A game? Copy of Windows or some other app? Ripped a CD for a buddy, or copied a friend's music collection?

I would be willing to bet that of his audience that is all nodding their heads with him, 75% of them have used the internet to steal content of some sort or another. So I feel like many of them, and most of us, are hypocrites. We claim indignation and denounce this "attack on our freedom", but at the end of the day I didn't know that we had the freedom to steal what we didn't pay for. We do it, I do it, but let's not try to pretend that what I/We are doing is right.

2) I don't think that this is all just to stifle sharing and creation. I think that it is intended to keep others from sharing THEIR creations, first and foremost.

If we owned the materials that were being stolen and parsed out for free on the internet, I am betting that most of us would be singing a different tune than I see here in this thread. It's easy to be against SOPA when it isn't your product that is being ripped off...

1) Surely, there is copyright infringement taking place all the time. No one debates that because, like you say, the majority have participated at some point. But also be careful using the word "theft". They're absolutely 2 different things. And he didn't purposefully avoid that stance, because that's not the real issue here. There are many examples of adapted content delivery mechanisms that give people an alternative to piracy that work. ITunes being the largest by far. The most recent example I can think of is Louie CK offering his latest stand-up drm free for $5 via PayPal. He hit $1 million in 12 days.

The issue is the media industry lobbying to get a bill passed that provides powers far exceeding necessity, to politicians that are very clearly already in their pocket. I think the example given in the video was a very apt one. If a local cake shop had issues screen printing individual's renders of copyrighted cartoons under present laws, I shudder to think how censored the net would become given SOPA's reach.

So again, no one denies that infringement takes place. Unfortunately large media companies have chosen this route rather than try to adapt to an increasingly digital market.

2) You're right. It is intended to protect content. However, a side effect is going to be a stifling of new and present methods of sharing and expression on the net. I don't think you fully appreciate the impact legislation like this would have. We're talking about any linking to or display of copyrighted work, whether by a site's visitors, contributors, or staff, can result in an immediate shutdown. That's images, lyrics, music, architecture, choreographed dance, literary works, sculptures, movies, and more. Post or link to any of those that are copyrighted, and you're done. It's ridiculous.

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What if we could actually change ourselves instead of having someone else do it for us?
That right there is obviously the best solution. It is rare when human beings are willing to truly self-reflect and take responsibility for the choices they make. To paraphrase Ghandi, "Be the change you most want to see in the world." That's a great philosophy to live by. I am optimistic that humanity as a whole will achieve greater heights of self-awareness and realize some of these lofty ideals. It will happen, one day... (probably in another couple thousand years or so.)

In the mean time (and getting our heads down out of the clouds), we could potentially develop several interim technological solutions that will stair-step our way toward a truly solid security breakthrough for the web and mitigate these issues almost entirely.

Snow02

Reaction score
In the mean time (and getting our heads down out of the clouds), we could potentially develop several interim technological solutions that will stair-step our way toward a truly solid security breakthrough for the web and mitigate these issues almost entirely.

Not as long as there are teenagers with no money, computers, and too much time on their hands ;)

That's the problem with DRM. It doesn't stop pirating and only introduces complications for the paying consumer. If you've ever had an hdcp issue you know what I'm talking about.

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not as long as there are teenagers with no money, computers, and too much time on their hands ;)

That's the problem with DRM. It doesn't stop pirating and only introduces complications for the paying consumer. If you've ever had an hdcp issue you know what I'm talking about.

Too true. DRM as a software solution is weak and problematic, and mostly punishes the person who bought the product. Still, I suspect there are both hardware and software solutions that we have yet to find/invent that could be a tremendous help. I don't mean to imply they will be easy solutions, just better in the long run.

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
So let me get this straight... You and the mods keep stepping in and saying that if the conversation about censorship goes in a direction that you do not approve of, that you will censor us here in the forum?

Kinda ironic, no?

Well it doesn't fall under us "censoring" you. Its just we have rules here you see.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

lizard

Reaction score
There are two things a man should never see, how they make laws, and how they make sausages.

-Mark Twain

Could someone please tell me where in America's Constitution a political party is even mentioned.

Its not about free speech, its about free music.

Supply and demand. If they wouldn't make it so expensive to begin with, they would make more honest sales and therefore more money.

Piracy is when you PROFIT from the sale of something. NO PROFIT,NO PIRACY. When you take something that does not belong to you without paying for it, that's called STEALING.

It doesn't matter if the Constitution gives me the right to the internet. This is a Constitutionally limited federal republic, with a free market economy, and I think that one could argue that under current constitutional law, or the statutes promulgated under them that it is the government that has no right to deny me access to the internet without just cause.

I'm not trying to sound mean, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums