[UPDATE] XDA, CyanogenMod joins Google & Wiki on Blackout

Discussion in 'Android News' started by Malvado, Jan 18, 2012.

1. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +315
    everybody should watch that video - great run down, and great "forest" perspective on what's really going on and the big picture effects this could have

• Like Like x 1
  2. SquireSCA

SquireSCA Silver Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Reading some of the comments on the link above, some of these people make great points:

"
    He's right that SOPA/PIPA won't go away. The underlying issue is that the intellectual property industries no longer have control over their markets. They're bleeding from a million wounds. It's like a reporter getting raped in Tahrir Square. For every single person brought to justice, thousands melt back into anonymity and escape justice. If you think a Google/Wikipedia/Facebook protest is bad, imagine what it would look like if the content industry suddenly boycotts everything and refuses to allow any media providers to use their materials (all you'll get are reruns of old crappy shows)?

No more Hollywood.
    No more Music industry.
    No more Madison Avenue.
    No more books.
    No more magazines.
    No more newspapers.
    No more new technologies.
    No more medicines.

There needs to be an acceptable compromise between those that produce content and those that consume it. Patents, trademarks, and copyrights are the foundation of our way of life. If everyone lazily copies stuff off of others without letting them have the chance to earn a living for what they produce, then we will have only sub-standard content. Don't get caught in the trap of getting so used to having free stuff that you forget that some of the best things you like cost something to produce.
    "

Another comment:

"
    While my sentiments generally ride with the speaker's here, I must say it is a one-sided argument.
    This seems to avoid the thought that there is any harm to creators and innovators thru the system as it exists today. Free content has become the mantra of liberation, but what is the individual's incentive to create if his work immediately becomes part of the commons?
    The argument that existing copyright protections will suffice ignores the reality that immediate and universal distribution of a unique work will be irreversible, despite some later judgement by a court that said distribution was improper.
    Free content has its dangers too. (eg journalism)
    "

3. DaWolf85

DaWolf85 Member

Ratings:
    +4

Correct.
    But SOPA/PIPA are not the way. They won't do very much, if anything at all, to actually stop piracy.
    The answer is to get people to be willing to pay for stuff. Hard to do, I know, but that - not SOPA/PIPA - is what will solve the problem. It needs to be addressed at the root, not the surface.

4. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +315
    All of these content creators are still making plenty of money. Have some of them taken a hit b/c of this? Sure. Have some of them fought back the right way, the way of due process, and won? Most definitely. To throw that process out the window and have things turned completely upside down in that system will have so many unintended consequences, it's ridiculous. Let alone the fact that it won't work. The amount of power and control that will be given to content creators & govt in this is not just a sidenote, either.

It's all the demorepublitarians' fault anyway. :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. SquireSCA

SquireSCA Silver Member

Ratings:
    +280
    See, I am against this bill like most of you are. I just admit that it is pretty much for selfish reasons. I admit that, and I don't have to create a "the sky is falling, all our interwebs will die!" argument to try and lend credibility to my desire to keep getting free stuff. LOL

6. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +315
    lol... well maybe the "sky is falling" is a necessarily outrageous response to an equally outrageous proposal - if anything to get people's attention.

• Like Like x 1
  7. rubiksc00p

rubiksc00p Senior Member

Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
    Ratings:
    +30
    Haha... failz! ;) Nonono... if you go the constitution route, people will be all over it, if you go the pirating route, people will be all for it!

You have to go with this slogan. "The government is a big interwebz eating troll, pass this law and he's headed toward your interwebz!!!"

*Disclaimer:* this post is all a joke! (I hope you didn't think I was serious!) ;) We need some lightheartedness in the middle of a fierce battle. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  8. SquireSCA

SquireSCA Silver Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Ok, just watched the video. Twice.

Very nice argument, helps clear things up. However, I do want to point out two things that I think the speaker misses, intentionally...

1) He talks about innocent until proven guilty and that we should not be treated as thieves on the internet. But aren't we? I mean seriously, let's be brutally honest here. Which of you reading this has never downloaded an MP3 that you didn't pay for? A movie? A game? Copy of Windows or some other app? Ripped a CD for a buddy, or copied a friend's music collection?

I would be willing to bet that of his audience that is all nodding their heads with him, 75% of them have used the internet to steal content of some sort or another. So I feel like many of them, and most of us, are hypocrites. We claim indignation and denounce this "attack on our freedom", but at the end of the day I didn't know that we had the freedom to steal what we didn't pay for. We do it, I do it, but let's not try to pretend that what I/We are doing is right.

2) I don't think that this is all just to stifle sharing and creation. I think that it is intended to keep others from sharing THEIR creations, first and foremost.

If we owned the materials that were being stolen and parsed out for free on the internet, I am betting that most of us would be singing a different tune than I see here in this thread. It's easy to be against SOPA when it isn't your product that is being ripped off...

9. firefighterguy

Ratings:
    +1
    Plus one for honesty! Lol.

Now that it's settled down a little and I had a chance to cool my jets, to answer your question.

It does fall under the Constitution. The 1st Amendment - which is one many Rights being attacked - is in the Constitution. I took said Oath to defend it. I fought for it and never signed anything or took another Oath undoing the original Oath that I took. So, yes, it is a personal matter to me and feel very strongly about it.

And there is nothing on God's green Earth that will make me feel otherwise.

Stealing is bad. But you can't fix it this way. I can't remember the comedian's name who said this but he was right, "You can't fix stupid." Oh God, I just pirated. I just shut the site down! Lmao!

Lmao! You know, our Founding Fathers tried to rell us that we should NOT habe political parties. Look at where we are now...

Lmao! Plus one for lightheartedness

*Edited

10. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,423
    Current Phone Model:
    Nokia Lumia Icon
    Gentlemen refresh the page and look to the top of your browsers......

• Like Like x 2
  11. firefighterguy

Ratings:
    +1
    ROFLMAO!!!!! "AmericanCensorship.org." AAAHHHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

12. SquireSCA

SquireSCA Silver Member

Ratings:
    +280
    I still don't see why it is a Free Speech issue. You have a right to say what you want, but the truth is that you don't have a right to the Internet. Now, if you were talking to a friend at Starbuck's and you told him to go to The Pirate Bay to download Bio-Dome with Pauly Shore and some Exec from the MPAA jumped out of the alley and gagged you and stifled your ability to say that, then yes, I would agree with you that it is a Free Speech issue. Then I would slap you for promoting that crappy movie. :)

But the Internet is just a medium, and we don't specifically have a Constitutional Right to do or say anything that we want on that medium... Just because we have been allowed to do so up till now, doesn't mean it will go on like that forever...