Update won't work.

usher6360

Reaction score
So I get the notification that my phone needs the system update. I press install now, and it says rebooting in 10..9...8...7...6...5...4...3...2...1.. then it says rebooting now and nothing happens. Help please!

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

amyoung92

Reaction score
Same here this morning. It's a pita. I want to know if I can go download it somewhere...

Bdragon007

Reaction score
Same thing happening to my serval time, I brought it to the stores and they said In have the most recent version, they can't tell me why its act up still

hunterjjumper

Reaction score
What version of the software are you running?

OP
usher6360

usher6360

Reaction score
I'm still on 2.2.

hunterjjumper

Reaction score
I'm still on 2.2.

I was able to force the update, even after several failures to load it, by clearing the cache in the phone, setting the date ahead a month and then connecting to the Google server. I had several failures for not enough memory(sounds like the issue with the reboot) and low battery. I cleared off every app that I could reinstall for free, deleted all my text messages, off loaded my mail account and my gmail accounts basically freeing up every inch of space. Made sure I had enough battery charge and cleared the cache and loaded the update. I think it took 3 or 4 times to get it to load requiring a repeat of all the steps each time.

Have you tried that? Do you need the steps? I can write them down if you need them. The phone works much better now that I have the update installed.

OP
usher6360

usher6360

Reaction score
Could you please give me steps

hunterjjumper

Reaction score
  1. Boot into recovery
    • Press and hold Power, Choose "Restart" option
    • When screen turns off, press and hold Volume Down and Power
  2. When the white HBOOT screen appears, use the volume button to move down to “RECOVERY.”
  3. Press the Power button to select “RECOVERY.”
  4. When the triangle and exclamation appears, hold the Volume Up and Power button at the same time.
  5. Using the volume button, scroll down to “Wipe cache partition” and select it.
  6. Select "Reboot system now"
Force phone to check for update.

Manually change the date on your phone to one month from today. This will trigger an automatic check in with the update servers and you will get the appropriate update.

1. Menu > Settings > Date and Time
2. Un-check Automatic to prevent the date and time from automatically updating
3. Change the date to one year from today (under Set Date)
4. Go back to the main settings and select About Phone > Check For Update and follow the prompts

If no update call into the Google servers.

Open up your phone's dialer.
2. Key in *#*#2432546#*#*
3. If any software update message shows up, please follow the on-screen instruction

Sometimes you have to wait for 15 minutes or so for the update to show. Note they are supposed to be coming out with an update so they may not be pushing this update anymore. I would try it right away.

Good luck.

Make sure you have freed up enough space and that you have a fully charged battery. It might fail the first time, but clear more space and try it again. It took me three times.

Last edited:
OP
usher6360

usher6360

Reaction score
Well, I just got the message that said check in succeeded. I'm waiting on the ota. Thanks! I'll tell you if it works or not.

kandj200

Reaction score
  1. Boot into recovery
    • Press and hold Power, Choose "Restart" option
    • When screen turns off, press and hold Volume Down and Power
  2. When the white HBOOT screen appears, use the volume button to move down to “RECOVERY.”
  3. Press the Power button to select “RECOVERY.”
  4. When the triangle and exclamation appears, hold the Volume Up and Power button at the same time.
  5. Using the volume button, scroll down to “Wipe cache partition” and select it.
  6. Select "Reboot system now"
Force phone to check for update.

Manually change the date on your phone to one month from today. This will trigger an automatic check in with the update servers and you will get the appropriate update.

1. Menu > Settings > Date and Time
2. Un-check Automatic to prevent the date and time from automatically updating
3. Change the date to one year from today (under Set Date)
4. Go back to the main settings and select About Phone > Check For Update and follow the prompts

If no update call into the Google servers.

Open up your phone's dialer.
2. Key in *#*#2432546#*#*
3. If any software update message shows up, please follow the on-screen instruction

Sometimes you have to wait for 15 minutes or so for the update to show. Note they are supposed to be coming out with an update so they may not be pushing this update anymore. I would try it right away.

Good luck.

Make sure you have freed up enough space and that you have a fully charged battery. It might fail the first time, but clear more space and try it again. It took me three times.

Thank you Thank you Thank you. It was finally sucessfull after 2 attempts with your steps...no telling how many times i tried to get the update the normal way.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
OK guys my sons Inc was lagged out badly and its never been connected as he only uses it as wifi. So..I just data reset and an update shot. So i see it says 2.3.4 but I really haven't seen much difference. Anyway I told him long ago to update so now it is. Anyone notice any great changes he should expect? Thanks.

Quite Sharp indeed....
Motorola Droid Razor...
Peace!

azbutch

Reaction score
Why bother?

I have the same problem, but until I know what is in the update I am not going to worry about updating. I haven't seen anything on any forum that states what it is and why I need it.
azbutch

ambrown

Reaction score
I have the same problem, but until I know what is in the update I am not going to worry about updating. I haven't seen anything on any forum that states what it is and why I need it.
azbutch

Well the update is the software version and not the android version for starters. I was confused at first myself when it said in the update version was to 4.0.something but when I looked it up on verizon's website it said it was to fix a few of the bugs a lot of users has after updating to the gingerbread ota; things like the incredibly annoying "low space" message, and the equally annoying problem of not having your sd card read when your phone restarts, thus rendering any apps on the sd card unusable until you unmount and remount your sd card. There are other bugs but those are the ones that matter to me.

I too have had the problem with "reboot countdown" that stops and does nothing, but I think I might try the above method to see if it works for me.

Sent from my Droid Incredible on 2.3.4 using the DroidForums app

richkev

Reaction score
Well, after waiting as long as I could tolerate it, I finally got tired of getting a low memory notification on my phone. I went through all the steps and was able to get the update to the update to work. Aggravated that I had to delete all my apps to get it to work, though. Now, I can spend even more time and reload those apps. But, it is finally working, again. Thanks to the folks who posted the workaround.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk