Update: Version: 1.3.380.MB870.Verizon.en.US

OP
Trip3601211

Trip3601211

Reaction score
Tweeted Verizon support, they said it takes about 10 - 14 days for the updates to come through. So by what VZW says, look for ota around the middle of the month....maybe?

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

In my opinion, thats BS. Why post it on the Verizon site with the date of October 5th 2011 if we don't recieve it until 10/15/2011-10/19/2011? I see other devices on that same EXACT page with the dates that the update was posted on the site, go to the forums of those devices and people talk about how they recieved it the SAME day it was posted on their site! If you look at the DX2 forum on their site you'll see not one person talking about receiving the OTA. Why just our device? To me, it's stupid on Verizon's behalf to put the date on there if you CAN'T recieve it on THAT date they post. Again just my .02. A week tomorrow is when I posted this thread, hoping all us DX2 owners would recieve it. Also in my opinion it is unfair the soak testers recieve it before us because regaurdless they're going to release the EXACT same version to the rest wether the testers expeirence bugs or not because it IS official on their site and from my understanding they can't take it back...it is already in the works!

Last edited:

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
A soak test is exactly that, it puts the update on a few (thousand) phones to see if people have issues, if there are few, they can throttle it back to see what the issues are and if they can be fixed in a timely manner.

Think about this: lets say Vzw rolled the update out to every phone all at the same time (ignoring server load and bandwidth ). Say there was an issue with text messages going through to other networks 10 times. Do you think that they would want 50% of their customers calling in to ask what the hell is going on?

Just makes financial and total sense. I understand you want it, but this method isn't going to change.

Sent from my A855, while on the move.

nateohio

Reaction score
In my opinion, thats BS. Why post it on the Verizon site with the date of October 5th 2011 if we don't recieve it until 10/15/2011-10/19/2011? I see other devices on that same EXACT page with the dates that the update was posted on the site, go to the forums of those devices and people talk about how they recieved it the SAME day it was posted on their site! If you look at the DX2 forum on their site you'll see not one person talking about receiving the OTA. Why just our device? To me, it's stupid on Verizon's behalf to put the date on there if you CAN'T recieve it on THAT date they post. Again just my .02. A week tomorrow is when I posted this thread, hoping all us DX2 owners would recieve it. Also in my opinion it is unfair the soak testers recieve it before us because regaurdless they're going to release the EXACT same version to the rest wether the testers expeirence bugs or not because it IS official on their site and from my understanding they can't take it back...it is already in the works!

Jeez, if you want the update that bad, why don't you just use RSDlite to flash the 2.3.4 SBF?

Our updates ALWAYS roll out like this, you complain about the soak testers getting it before everybody else, but I'd be willing to bet that you'd also be one of the first people complaining about a rushed, buggy update being pushed out.

WookieClaws

Reaction score
I'm ok with a soak test, and delaying the update a bit. Why? Because I don't want a buggy updated; I'd much rather have it right in a week or so than have it now and its worse than what we have now.

I'm excited for the updated but I listen to a lot of music both wired and BT so it will be nice to not have skips (though BT doesn't seem to skip).

OP
Trip3601211

Trip3601211

Reaction score
Jeez, if you want the update that bad, why don't you just use RSDlite to flash the 2.3.4 SBF?

Our updates ALWAYS roll out like this, you complain about the soak testers getting it before everybody else, but I'd be willing to bet that you'd also be one of the first people complaining about a rushed, buggy update being pushed out.

Okay that being said, you don't think the same thing of this recent 2.3.3 update we had? Come on now...REGUARDLESS the phone is going to have bugs...I honestly dont care. And if you read any of my recent posts, I clearly stated that I would NOT mind getting rid of these few bugs we have now for a couple/few new ones. So your bet would have lost. You know what assuming does? ass-u-me. Thats what it results in. And "ALWAYS" rolls out like that huh? I never knew I was a soak tester as I have had updates before others on my DX1. For the RSDlite? Have already tried this out and it is clear NO ONE can give me the directions that I can follow as I have yet again stated before...am still a noob to this rom/root/SBF stuff. So OTA is my only option as I am sure it is for others too. I just state the facts that are in front of me on my laptop. No need to get any panties in a bunch, never mean to bash or hate on anyones beloved phones or carriers. I only state MY opinion. (which I am fully entitled too)

Gweevis

Reaction score
The updates worked the same way with my Droid X. No more then two weeks after the update was released.
I have to say too, Id rather have the soak testers find out about bugs first before it is released to the rest of us.
Good things come to those who wait! dancedroid

nateohio

Reaction score
Okay that being said, you don't think the same thing of this recent 2.3.3 update we had? Come on now...REGUARDLESS the phone is going to have bugs...I honestly dont care. And if you read any of my recent posts, I clearly stated that I would NOT mind getting rid of these few bugs we have now for a couple/few new ones. So your bet would have lost. You know what assuming does? ass-u-me. Thats what it results in. And "ALWAYS" rolls out like that huh? I never knew I was a soak tester as I have had updates before others on my DX1. For the RSDlite? Have already tried this out and it is clear NO ONE can give me the directions that I can follow as I have yet again stated before...am still a noob to this rom/root/SBF stuff. So OTA is my only option as I am sure it is for others too. I just state the facts that are in front of me on my laptop. No need to get any panties in a bunch, never mean to bash or hate on anyones beloved phones or carriers. I only state MY opinion. (which I am fully entitled too)

Hey Trip, Id be more than willing to help you out with the process of using RSDlite and flashing an SBF. I'm going to direct you to a link where you can get everything you need and you can either post questions here or PM me here on Droidforums. If you're going to get involved in flashing roms, rooting, etc.. it's imperative that you get familiar with this process, because it's the closest thing to a fail safe that's out there if you screw something up.

[updated][how-to] sbf tutorial [how-to][updated] - xda-developers

I've been hanging around droidforums.net for almost 2 years now and although it's a great forum there is not alot of traffic involving the X2. I frequent more than a couple of forums and XDA probably has the most traffic/support involving the X2, although frequenting XDA also comes with encountering the occasional a-hole.

Feel free to PM me with any questions, as long as your on a windows system I can help you out.

OP
Trip3601211

Trip3601211

Reaction score
Hey Trip, Id be more than willing to help you out with the process of using RSDlite and flashing an SBF. I'm going to direct you to a link where you can get everything you need and you can either post questions here or PM me here on Droidforums. If you're going to get involved in flashing roms, rooting, etc.. it's imperative that you get familiar with this process, because it's the closest thing to a fail safe that's out there if you screw something up.

[updated][how-to] sbf tutorial [how-to][updated] - xda-developers

I've been hanging around droidforums.net for almost 2 years now and although it's a great forum there is not alot of traffic involving the X2. I frequent more than a couple of forums and XDA probably has the most traffic/support involving the X2, although frequenting XDA also comes with encountering the occasional a-hole.

Feel free to PM me with any questions, as long as your on a windows system I can help you out.

Thank you...will look into it right now. Sorry if I was sounding arrogant or rude in the last couple posts. Never mean it in that way at all. I use a Toshiba Satellite C650 Windows 7 Intel Pentium CPU 64 bit-operating system Laptop. I've had 7zip downloaded for awhile now and still just dont really understand it. Is winzip better? IDK but it's just what I've read in other forums. I've also got what I think is RSDlite on my desktop that looks like a piece of paper. or file image? And I am pretty sure I have the latest drive of motorola as it DOES recognize my phone when I connect it to transfer images and such. I also have a file downloaded with the name of: VRZ_MB8_4.5.1A-DTN-150-30_1FF_01.sbf. I don't know if this makes sence to you, or anyone else, but that was as far as I got before and gave up because I didnt want to make a mistake and ruin my phone. But if I DO have all that I need, I'm just stuck at what I would need to do next. Or how to use anything I have downloaded. But thanks again for the civil reply...and not as you have said an A-hole reply

nateohio

Reaction score
Just so we are on the same page:

- go to the link provided and download the RSDlite 5.3.1 and Drivers. The file you download will be a Zip file.

- after downloading, right click on the Zipped file / select 7Zip / select extract files and extract the files to your desktop.

- In the extracted location, you'll have 3 installer files. Go ahead and install the 64bit drivers for your device and then install RSDlite.

- You'll know that RSDlite is installed when you have a big blue Motorola logo on your desktop.

- The SBF file you have seems to be good, just make sure that it has been extracted. (You can tell this by the last couple of characters in the file name, it should say .sbf / not .gz or something else) Also, if you want to play it real safe, you can just download it again from the provided link.

- After that you can go to the SBF Guide (link provided) and follow the directions from there.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-

OP
Trip3601211

Trip3601211

Reaction score
So I DID IT! Followed everything perfectly. Couple questions: 1. When I hit the power button to put the phone on stand by, looks like turning off a TV...is this normal? 2: I have a triangle shape next to my signal bars...thats not right? No 3G? Should I factory reset? I'm confused at this point...:icon_eek: Thanks for all the info though so far, was very helpful.

nateohio

Reaction score
Yes, the TV turning off animation is called CRT animation and its supposed to be there. If you dial *228 option 1 it will get rid of the triangle, you need to reactivate your phone whenever doing something like that.

OP
Trip3601211

Trip3601211

Reaction score
Awesome. *228 did work. Tried it right before G replied lol. That CRT is crazy though. Tripped me n my girl out for a second. She was like, "oh you better not start b****ing cuz you broke your phone now" hahaha. After I reactivated and it still did it she did say it was kinda cool n I guess I agree, not too many people with a phone that does that. So this CRT doesnt occur if I were to say go back to 2.3.3? Just in case I wanted to still get the OTA when it comes? Thanks again, you ALL have helped me very much and the guys on XDA as well. Have to say man, I love my magic smoke wallpaper again and it does seem much smoother. Havent had the glitches in the camera boarders as well. A+++ I am proud to say this is the FIRST time I have ever used a PC/Laptop to modify a phone and I like it...may move on up to bigger and better now! This is GREAT! dancedroid

OP
Trip3601211

Trip3601211

Reaction score
Oh Oh Oh....1. More thing I have to ask, I dont know how, where, who, or what happened to my ability to set up my facebook account or youtube account...It's no where to be found. Have any of you had this problem? Seems very very strange. Accounts usually had it in there. :icon_eek: