[Update] Verizon's New Family Data Plans Begin: It's Called the Share Everything Plan

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Admiral Escobar

Ratings:
    +0
    I ask the opinion of the good people here at Droid Forums: Do I scrounge up some change and call in some last minute favors to lock myself in for that SGS3 preorder with unlimited data intact, or do I save up my own hard earned cash, buy an Unlocked GNex and go to T-Mobile's $30 prepaid plan?

2. monkey_man

monkey_man Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Unlocked Gnex? What's for as it still is a CDMA phone (GSM phones don't work on Verizon or Sprint). Can you get it less than $300? T-Mobile prepaid is nice... but here is the main thing to consider "we haven't get the boot yet!" (Unlimited users). I have 3 scenarios to take.

1. I quit once my 2 years are up, so I don't take stupid early termination penalty fees.
    2. I quit once my phone broke.
    3. I quit just cuz they told me I have to quit :rofl2: .

3. Admiral Escobar

Ratings:
    +0
    I meant buy an unlocked GSM one directly from Google to use with T-Mobile~

4. monkey_man

monkey_man Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ahhh ok... I gotcha! This is what I have in mind since this whole rumour started.

1. I don't talk alot... Well, I do :biggrin: just not focused on cellphone. That T-Mobile helps me alot as they are cheap to get as long as I get my own phone, While with Verizon, They just don't care to adjust their price for Unlimited users after June 28.

2. (If and only If I'm not Unlimited any longer) 5GB throttle afterward is way no-brainer than the fake feel good factor created by Verizon about Twice your data event. That twice the data event that could raise 2GB to 4GB (same amount of money with T-Mo+ talking mins), still can cost you more money of about $10/gb.

3. Verizon are known for their Telecommunication Network that so vast in United States. I must take that into consideration if I travel alot. That's why I rather carry 2 phones. (basic phone based on Verizon Network and T-Mo for Data and emergency rollover minutes would be nice to go along with it :happy3:). In the end, my monthly payment is actually reduced than any new plans that Verizon have offered so far.

5. Yonahdad

Yonahdad Member

Ratings:
    +4
    A friend of mine switched this morning; she told me she is saving $40 per month. It seems like this plan only saves you $ if you were on a tiered data plan.

6. xeene

xeene Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,189
    sucks to be new subscribers.

7. Low Saturn

Low Saturn Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like my bill will be going up by quite a bit. We currently have one smartphone (unlimited data, I use anywhere from 3gb to 5gb a month), three basic phones, unlimited text messaging and share 700 minutes (we use maybe 50 a month). Current bill before taxes, surcharges and all that stuff s $131.14. According to the chart on the first post, it will go up to $200 with the 4gb plan ($40+$30+$30+$30+$70).

I read through most of this thread and have a question. If it was covered, I apologize. But if you opt for a 6gb plan, but only use 2gb are you still charged for the 6gb's. They'll sure charge you for the extra data if you go over, but will they not charge you if you stay under? My guess is no.

8. syndicate0017

syndicate0017 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +48
    Of course they'll charge you. If you have a 1400 minute plan and only use 650, do they only charge you for the 700 minute plan? No. So they'll bill you for the 6 GB no matter how little you use.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

9. monkey_man

monkey_man Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Big portions of this whole new plan was to satisfy those under tiered data plan. Like someone said here Verizon will charge you for your plan, for they don't care if you go under your allocated amount (Data/Minutes). Sadly, they have wide open eyes if you go beyond your plan tho :D. I also believe that since the introduction of their so called Tiered Data, more people used larger data usage than when it used to be Unlimited. Why? We are entitled to what we pay for. Hence, we had tiered minutes that can be shared into family plan. I absolutely believe that many new customers since July 2011 felt bewildered at how they paid $30 for that certain 2/4 GB/s, yet some family member(s) only used miniscule amount of it. Well then why can't we share it? Since I know/need to use that available data, then why can't I relocate that data like our minutes? Very reasonable suggestion doesn't it? Verizon oth are left reeling with the thought of giving us 8GB or more as that could burdened them more and slash the profit that they should've get from penalty. They're also listening at how many people used tiny amount of minutes and used huge data bandwith. So a year later they come up with a solution, they forced -the way it used to be price at- Unlimited minutes and text to those who don't even need it, and start really low by charging $50 for just 1GB. Ridiculous really and btw Simplicity my arse! Are we really that stupid :blink:?

10. Beka27

Beka27 Active Member

Ratings:
    +6
    And if I can elaborate on/vent about what monkey man was saying, I think it's a great idea to offer people the option to share data. I really do. If people could share their $30 2gb plan, AWESOME. My issue is that the $30 2gb plan somehow magically became $60. People wanted to share a $30 plan, not a $50+ plan.

(I really need to put this baseball bat down. I'm pretty sure this old horse is dead.)

11. wcravey

wcravey New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I will keep my unlimited... Do not have home WIFI... Something big will have to change to make me move off of the unlimited.
    :icon_eek:

12. ambrown

ambrown Member

Ratings:
    +11
    So doing the math on my situation it comes down to my phone and my wife's phone on a plan together. Right now for both our lines it's about $130-ish. But thats with a discount through my wife's employer. Two phones on Verizon's new plan would put us at about $117(thats with the discount, otherwise it would be about $150) but thats sharing 4 GB between the two of us and it might get a little tight as we both use about 2 GB a piece per month (I'm at 2.958 GB right now but thats because I haven't been using Wifi as much since I have unlimited data:p).

Now I checked sprint and their basic plan is about $129 for a family plan but then you add on $10 per 4G phone on the line. So that comes out to about $150 on Sprint for two smartphones with the basic plan.

Now without the discount we'd end up paying the same either way, but with the discount its obviously cheaper to stick with Verizon for us. But we'll have to give up our unlimited plans and be really careful about switching over to Wifi when at home. Or we could pay more and have unlimited data and deal with it. Or we could bump up the data to 6 GB for $80 and end up pretty close to our current monthly bill at ~ $125. So I guess it just barely works out for me. I thought originally that I'd be paying quite a bit more than I am now.

Still though, I'm feeling uneasy about the extra $30 fee I'll have to pay at upgrade time :S sometimes it feels like I'm just a money bag to Verizon and they want to take me for all I'm worth.

Search tags for this page

alp loyalty access discount

alp voice & message (talk & text) family shareplan 1400
data provision alp

how to pay for secondary line on family share plan verizon

picture message provisioning verizon

picture messaging provisioning verizon

verizon alp loyalty access discount

verizon alp share
verizon military discount share everything
verizon picture message provisioning