[Update] Verizon's New Family Data Plans Begin: It's Called the Share Everything Plan

neoterixx64

Reaction score
Now it makes sense why all carriers banded together to not re connect smart phones that are stolen or lost. Just think about that market.

nikecar

Reaction score
Exactly... thank you for doing the research I was too lazy to do :biggrin:!
you are welcome

They are trying to pull unlimited customers away. They are thinking we are dumb enough to bite this horrible idea "carrot" lol Not I!!!

Simply Amazing ...
Essentially Stunning,
Motorola Droid Razr---->Minimum<-----:)
Tapped via Red Xparent Pro>:-!
making us hunker down

And I mentioned before, the other shoe to drop will come from the manufacturers. If a bunch of people (which now may include family plans) are going to stop buying subsidized phones to keep their existing plans, that's going to kill sales of new phones. People will wait to buy phones on clearance and/or the market for used phones will take-off. Ultimately if this forces retail prices down that's good for the consumer, but this is a lousy way to go about it.
I have an Incredible 2 I can sell!!!!

What if everyone but Dezy leaves his account and they open a whole new account under his significant other's name? Is there a rule against more than one account per household?
As long as the plans are in seperate names, its no different than having credit cards come to various people in your house.

I think the point of this is missed because everyone is comparing apples to oranges. Your current plan or my current plan will never equate to the new plans unless you have unlimited talk and text on your current plan.

If we take a baseline individual plan of unlimited everything and 2GB Data its $120 today it'll be $100 with the share everything plan. Here's the breakdown OLD $90 unlimited line/text + $30 Data 2GB, NEW $40 line/text + $60 Data 2GB. Simple math and if you add hotspot feature thats another $20 for 2GB on the OLD but only another $10 on the NEW.

I do concede its not for everyone but its intent is to reduce the high bandwidth users by charging them exponentially on multi-lines.

I do wonder how the corporate discounts will work and hopefully it will apply to all lines.

My 2 cents.
ITs not apples to apples, but if you don't use more than 400 minutes on a 700 minute plan, you STILL won;t use more than 400 minutes on an unlimited call plan. I know I won't. I don't use more than 250 txts, but might use more, but not too much.

No if I use 5 GB on an unlimited, then I'd have to reduce my usage.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Tablet will consume more data because it has a larger screen? You have to be kidding. Tablets are cheaper per month because they aren't subsidized by Verizon. Many tablets run large applications that don't use much data. screen size had nothing to do with data consumption

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I'm going to go out on a limb here to back the previous poster before you and say that its not too far fetched to completely discount what was said. Web sites poll the browser on the device you are using to determine what browser its using, what resolution and what mode its running in, and then will reformat or redesign their content to better fit and work for the specific browser. The Web sites may not only reformat, but they may also reduce the color depth (4,096 versus 65,536, versus millions of colors, for instance), or drop background colors altogether and opt for white backgrounds, remove video or picture content, back off on advertising or change the advertisement to target the mobile user for instance rather than the stationary one, use your GPS to find content advertising that is more specific to your location, etc. So if you're running a "mobile" version of the browser on you're phone, and the tablet is running the full blown version of the browser such as Firefox, there could conceivably be considerably different amounts of data being sent to the two different devices.

Just saying...

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Verizon will raise the unsubsidized phone prices when or slightly after this takes effect.

the purchase price isn't really up to them for unsibsidized... I mean, it is but it's general set my the manufacturer, hence MSRP (manufacturer suggested retail price) beside just go to bestbuy, or cartoys or walmart or..... you get it... online amazon, ebay craigslist... I'm probably never going back to a corporate store unless I have to.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
May I ask how much into 64GB are you??? what Cybertec said is reasonable and that's because the 16GB or 32GB is the recommendation range of how fast the phone can access into the files. The more data you have inside the memory card, the slower it is for the phone to search for it or even unable to get some files as the maximum number has been reached. Same problems I had with many early MP3 products where they had to gave out firmware updates in order for it to be compatible with higher amount GBs.

I've got @ 45-50gigs on it. Don't have any problems with access. Loads pics and music almost instantaneously. It's a Class 6 vs. what usually comes with the phone stock are Class 2. There's no lag, at least no more than on the stock cards.

It's a new card that onlly came out recently, mostly after the specs had been written. I also don't know if ICS supports it better than GB. All I do know is there are a lot of things you can do with your phone outside what's recommended or in spec and it's a non-issue.

monkey_man

Reaction score
I've got @ 45-50gigs on it. Don't have any problems with access. Loads pics and music almost instantaneously. It's a Class 6 vs. what usually comes with the phone stock are Class 2. There's no lag, at least no more than on the stock cards.

It's a new card that onlly came out recently, mostly after the specs had been written. I also don't know if ICS supports it better than GB. All I do know is there are a lot of things you can do with your phone outside what's recommended or in spec and it's a non-issue.

Ah ok... gotcha you up the speed of read and write for the SD Card. Yeah I used to do this to my laptops by using more memory cards than advertised ofc by knowing if the OS supports large Memory RAM.

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
I have a 1400 min plan with unlimited texting. I only use at most 700 of those min between 4 phones. Three of the phones have unlimited data and one is tiered at 2GB. That being said the suggested plan from the family share calculator is unlimited talk (which i dont need) and text (what i currently have) with 8GB to share for the same amount i am paying now. How does this benifit me? It does not. I personally use about 4 gigs a month and only have access to wifi at home. My wife uses about 2-3 a month and my daughter who will be going to college uses about 2-3 a month. Those are my unlimited lines. My sons phone has to have a custom rom to make it easier for him to turn off his data at school so he doesn't break his 2gb a month limit. These plans are crap for those who are in the same range of lines/data usage as me. We will be switching carriers when our contracts are up, unless this is the wave of the future for the big carriers. I may just be forced to use virgin mobile or one of the smaller cheaper carriers. A cell bill over $250mo is ridiculous no matter what kind of means one has. IMO.

Sent from my DROID4

jseah

Reaction score
Thanks for the links. So far I see Mobile Hotspot is also included on all plans. Wonder what folks have to say about that.....lol. So now..we go back and factor in the old plans with Mobile Hotspot...lol.

Great way to get users to use more data......thereby requiring them to go up in the data tier and pay more money.

monkey_man

Reaction score
I don't know if this is just me. I understood that Verizon said that this plan will help users save money, and somewhat they are true as I see one or two individuals here claimed so. Since we are all selfish about own matter, I would take it that Majority would still apply in all decisions right? I don't see a bright future in their plan, but I think this with small adjustment will survive. Verizon had decided that they won't cut us off unlike Netflix and the massive problem they had. Verizon are again in control with their plan of allowing us to keep our current plan by losing some amenities. With them waiting to remove massive data users by the end their two years contract (5GB+ users seems like alot to them already), they are still winning by reducing those unlimited data users pool. In the end, if I realize that I am losing the fight to this, I will not renew my plan and quit paying them (looking for their breach of contract so I can end it sooner). Enough of this even though I know that this will hurt me abit with the plan I have, but I have to ensure Costumers are back in charge!

jseah

Reaction score
For everyone who keeps wondering about corporate discounts, this afternoon Droid Life had posted a link to their Google+ post which posted the Verizon training slides on the new plan. It details how corporate discounts are affected and the news is not good.

Only the shared data access fee is eligible for discount. The $40 per line fee for each smartphone ($30 for each feature phone) is NOT eligible for the corporate discount. To use my account as an example.....5 lines all smartphones with unlimited data.

New Plan
$200 - 5 smartphones at $40 each (there is no discount on this)
$100 - 10 GB shared data
($21) - 21% discount on shared data
------
$279 - total cost

Existing Plan
$89.98 - 1400 minutes family share
($18.90) - 21% discount on family share plan
$30.00 - unlimited text plan
(6.30) - 21% discount on unlimited text feature
$9.99 - cost of primary line
(2.10) - 21% discount on primary line
$39.96 - cost of 4 secondary lines (not eligible for discount)
$149.95 - cost of unlimited data plans (@29.99 x 5 lines)
-------
$292.58

So on the face, it looks like I will save a little money. However, I also have the Talk, Text & Data discount promo that gives me an additional discount of $100 ($20 discount per line with unlimited data x 5 lines). This is also why I did not consider the data discount I should receive on the primary line's data plan, since I can't get both the data discount plus the Talk, Text & Data discount. This brings my existing total cost down to $192.58. Switching to the Share Everything plan, I'm certain that I would lose the Talk, Text & Data promo, so I would be looking at my monthly cost going up by $86.42 a month. Also, currently all 5 lines combined uses about 8 GB a month, so I would have to get 10 GB to give a little cushion for those months where we would go over. This goes with the assumption that our data usage will remain constant in the future. If our data usage goes up, then the extra cost goes up as well.

From here on out, the kids will have to use their smartphones longer and we will not be renewing contracts.

If AT&T copies and adopts the same, we may eventually consider switching as well, since I can get a 25% discount with AT&T.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
The way I see it...this just help newer customers thats already on tiered data plans. And already use unlimited talk n text. I got a feeling they look at folks on unlimited data as old school..like trying to get everyone on 4G phones. They see 3G as old school.

And...its alot easier to hit data caps on 4G vs. 3G.

I just found out recently AT&T might be better in my area. If I do have to lose unlimited data .....I may just try AT&T out. I said this before...the perks for staying with Verizon is getting smaller n smaller. Unlimited data was like the last one. I gotta get phones at retail or off Ebay just to keep unlimited data? Might not be worth it in the long run.

And I just tried that family plan line split on my plan. Its gonna cost me more to take off my unlimited line. I guess there must be some kind of discount for more lines sharing unlimited talk n text?

Kag Pirate

Reaction score
For some saying 40 bucks per phone is to much for a family share plain. I have to pay 29.99 for data and 9.99 for access = 39.98 round up = 40.00 so I'm fine with that. Data plains seem a bit much for low data allotments for being shared. With Netflix we use and my wife's love for rescue 911 shows. (That are so old and out of date, I'll pass on soap boxing that show :icon_eek:) I then look at my data usage this month I'm at .5 GB 25 days in on a 30 day cycle. That's a bit low then normal. I and my wife been to busy to watch Netflix this month and some. I know I use more data then that, I check last month bill and the one before to see how much I had used. After looking at all my data usage for me it was around 2.5 GB's per month. This amount does not include my wife's and I did not feel like adding that up at this time. My wife's normally is at 1 GB's of data. In a nut shell 3.5 GB of data. With two phones 40 x 2 = 80 what I'm paying now for my family 700 talk shared and unlimited data and text. Plus 70.00 for 4GB's would be 10 less then I pay now. Yet I get a 20% discount on the 80 for my current plain and my phone's 29.99 and 9.99. That comes to 22.00 off my bill before all the add in fees. My question is if the data part is shared would I still get my 20% off. Cause now the data is shared and not on each phone with unlimited data. Reason I ask cause discount only applied to account holder main phone and plain not add on phones. So how would they look at the data as part of the main plain or an add on or would the 2nd phone cause them to look at it another way? (I just read up a few and saw other post on discounts oops :p ) So now I would pay more then less cause I would lose the discount on the 40.00 so my 22.00 would fall to 14.00 and lose unlimited data. Unlimited talk is pointless to me......... I going to tell the wife we going to use CB radios. :)

Last edited:

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
jseah said:
For everyone who keeps wondering about corporate discounts, this afternoon Droid Life had posted a link to their Google+ post which posted the Verizon training slides on the new plan. It details how corporate discounts are affected and the news is not good.

Only the shared data access fee is eligible for discount. The $40 per line fee for each smartphone ($30 for each feature phone) is NOT eligible for the corporate discount. To use my account as an example.....5 lines all smartphones with unlimited data.

New Plan
$200 - 5 smartphones at $40 each (there is no discount on this)
$100 - 10 GB shared data
($21) - 21% discount on shared data
------
$279 - total cost

Existing Plan
$89.98 - 1400 minutes family share
($18.90) - 21% discount on family share plan
$30.00 - unlimited text plan
(6.30) - 21% discount on unlimited text feature
$9.99 - cost of primary line
(2.10) - 21% discount on primary line
$39.96 - cost of 4 secondary lines (not eligible for discount)
$149.95 - cost of unlimited data plans (@29.99 x 5 lines)
-------
$292.58

So on the face, it looks like I will save a little money. However, I also have the Talk, Text & Data discount promo that gives me an additional discount of $100 ($20 discount per line with unlimited data x 5 lines). This is also why I did not consider the data discount I should receive on the primary line's data plan, since I can't get both the data discount plus the Talk, Text & Data discount. This brings my existing total cost down to $192.58. Switching to the Share Everything plan, I'm certain that I would lose the Talk, Text & Data promo, so I would be looking at my monthly cost going up by $86.42 a month. Also, currently all 5 lines combined uses about 8 GB a month, so I would have to get 10 GB to give a little cushion for those months where we would go over. This goes with the assumption that our data usage will remain constant in the future. If our data usage goes up, then the extra cost goes up as well.

From here on out, the kids will have to use their smartphones longer and we will not be renewing contracts.

If AT&T copies and adopts the same, we may eventually consider switching as well, since I can get a 25% discount with AT&T.

The loss of a part of the corp discount sucks. But I'm in it for two years because of the Rezound I just got a few months ago. I'm going to ride out my unlimited data and see what happens. On the surface it looks like I'm saving money with this new plan but lets see how this whole thing pans out a few months from now.

Sent from my HTC Rezound infused with ice cream goodness using Droid Forums.

monkey_man

Reaction score
For some saying 40 bucks per phone is to much for a family share plain. I have to pay 29.99 for data and 9.99 for access = 39.98 round up = 40.00 so I'm fine with that. Data plains seem a bit much for low data allotments for being shared. With Netflix we use and my wife's love for rescue 911 shows. (That are so old and out of date, I'll pass on soap boxing that show :icon_eek:) I then look at my data usage this month I'm at .5 GB 25 days in on a 30 day cycle. That's a bit low then normal. I and my wife been to busy to watch Netflix this month and some. I know I use more data then that, I check last month bill and the one before to see how much I had used. After looking at all my data usage for me it was around 2.5 GB's per month. This amount does not include my wife's and I did not feel like adding that up at this time. My wife's normally is at 1 GB's of data. In a nut shell 3.5 GB of data. With two phones 40 x 2 = 80 what I'm paying now for my family 700 talk shared and unlimited data and text. Plus 70.00 for 4GB's would be 10 less then I pay now. Yet I get a 20% discount on the 80 for my current plain and my phone's 29.99 and 9.99. That comes to 22.00 off my bill before all the add in fees. My question is if the data part is shared would I still get my 20% off. Cause now the data is shared and not on each phone with unlimited data. Reason I ask cause discount only applied to account holder main phone and plain not add on phones. So how would they look at the data as part of the main plain or an add on or would the 2nd phone cause them to look at it another way? (I just read up a few and saw other post on discounts)

If you owned a plan without unlimited call and text, there is no way this should benefit you. Verizon are giving us less option on call and text this time.

:icon_eek: 2 smartphones = 2x $30 = $60 for Data required plan. So in actuality it will cost you $10 more not less. Not only that with their double their data plan event, you actually lose more value as you should get 8GB for $60.

Let's say you owned 2 smart phones.

Old Data plan:

700 Mins plan = $80 + $30 req. data plan. (I assume unlimited/4gb data)

2nd smart phones = $40 (I assume Unlimited/4GB data)

so monthly you would need to pay verizon ~ $150+tax (2+4gb each)

With Verizon new plans

$40x2 access fee = $80
$70 for 4GB share data fee = ~$150 +tax ...