UPDATE: Verizon Cutting OFF Unlimited Data Users Using More Than 100GB Per Month

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Verizon is in business to make money, no doubt about that; just like most other businesses. I'm sure there are times when their greed is a large part of decision making. I'm not sure that this is all about greed, or money though. Like many others here, I had an UDP plan from 2010 until November of 2015. I willingly signed up for a new tiered plan to save $72 a month on my bill. I know a friend that saved around $57 a month last December by doing the same thing. If Verizon forces everyone off of UD plans eventually and the newer plans are $50 + a month cheaper than the UDP they are making you leave...then they would be losing money.

I agree with this. It's a two pronged approach though. Yes, the cost went down for many who moved, and yes it will in many cases and possibly in the aggregate result in a net loss of revenue however I don't believe that's all.

For many others like me it wasn't cost effective to move back then. The tides have turned this and today if I use it like I am already, I could save significant money if I moved off UDP.

What we're not considering though is that 5G is coming, and we're NOT going to be using it like we're using it today. To believe this is to ignore what history has already proven to us. Just as said above, we used to measure data consumption in MB, now we're measuring in GB, and quite possible sooner than we realize we could be measuring it in TB.

5G brings the following advancements, both by design and purpose;

1,000x increase in capacity
Support for 100+ billion connections
Up to 10Gbit/s speeds
Below 1ms latency

Why you might ask, do we need a 1,000X increase in capacity when our current system isn't taxed even at 100GB? That's just it, we don't...yet! But you can bet it's coming. How about 100+ Billion connections, when we're at only c. 142 million subscribers? Well because soon, and again very soon there will be a literal explosion of internet connected devices. We've seen refrigerators that monitor with a camera your milk supply and actually order it for delivery before you run out. But that's just the start.

Soon your sneakers will be internet connected, your bicycle, your car (of course that's already here too), your bookbag, purse, even your wallet (and when you reach for it, nearby stores will know you're in a spending mood and will want to get their piece too). Things we couldn't possibly imagine now as connected devices will become commonplace and even necessary for the coming lifestyles they will bring. So there will be an explosion of addresses added to the internet for all manner of things and cellular wireless will carry much of that, other than those in the home.

10Gbit/second speeds? Really? So in a 32 bit environment, you could transmit in theory 10GB in 32 seconds, and at 64 bits, just over one minute. This is in preparation for 8K video among other data intensive growths.

Less that 1ms latency? Surely this isn't necessary, right? WRONG. Autonomous vehicles are coming and they will be both independent and interdependent. They will be communicating with each other, the street lights, the police, the toll collection systems that are coming, heck, even the asphalt so they can tax you based on the wear your car creates.

As for the extremely low latency it will be necessary since these vehicles will be making millions, billions, possibly trillions of calculations per second and exchanging that data constantly to others connected to maximize traffic flow efficiency, energy efficiency, safety, accident avoidance and even more importantly multi-car collision avoidance (since actively avoiding one accident could essentially set off a chain reaction of other accidents).

They will also take advantage of marketing opportunities. Yes, the cars will deliberately take certain routes to display certain billboards to you and even the billboards will be connected (along with your social media), to time those advertisements that will be best marketed to you and others around you. They will talk to local retailers so that when you need gas it will take you to a station near a fast food store and you'll get coupons sent to the car screen and be able to order your food. The refrigerator will tell the car that you can save money by picking up those eggs and milk yourself instead of waiting for and paying for delivery, since there's a store along your route (which by the way is having a micro-sale for all vehicles in a 1 mile radius). The car's vehicle maintenance system will notify a nearby service station or auto parts store that you're due for an oil change and send special offers to do it now.

In a nutshell, Verizon (and others) offered unlimited data and limited phone minutes before they fully understood that there are only so many minutes in a month, but data consumption could potentially be infinitely larger. Now they realize that because they suffered with these plans when they transitioned to 4G, and now they surely don't want them around when 5G comes.

So there are many ways to look at this but I think it's a part of the learning process and Verizon has learned that they will make more money in the long run by pricing data than by pricing calling, texting, etc. Unlimited data is going away. For the carrier's, sooner is exponentially better than later.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I used almost 3GB this weekend. I watched two YouTube videos, GPS, Snapchat and a couple other apps. If I watched more on the trip it would have been worse.

Everyone uses their device differently.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I used almost 3GB this weekend. I watched two YouTube videos, GPS, Snapchat and a couple other apps. If I watched more on the trip it would have been worse.

Everyone uses their device differently.
Thank you.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
5G brings the following advancements, both by design and purpose;

1,000x increase in capacity
Support for 100+ billion connections
Up to 10Gbit/s speeds
Below 1ms latency

Why you might ask, do we need a 1,000X increase in capacity when our current system isn't taxed even at 100GB? That's just it, we don't...yet! But you can bet it's coming.

What's not so promising is I've heard in early tests the signal does not travel through and around buildings nearly as well as 4G.

Otherwise, the future is wireless replacing cable (internet AND tv). That is going to require a huge increase in bandwidth - home connections currently up to 250GB usage, but that's not including tv and on-demand video offered through cable....at 1080p you could be talking 500GB per household...4k video then we are into several TB.

So if the average user consumer 5GB of data...let's go with a more reasonable 100X and we could be talking 500GB per user - basically unlimited with tethering. EXCEPT now you've got people streaming 4k video.....so caps must always exist and a truly unlimited model is probably not feasible because, of course, after 4k video comes 8k video and Dolby Atmos.

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
What's not so promising is I've heard in early tests the signal does not travel through and around buildings nearly as well as 4G.

Otherwise, the future is wireless replacing cable (internet AND tv). That is going to require a huge increase in bandwidth - home connections currently up to 250GB usage, but that's not including tv and on-demand video offered through cable....at 1080p you could be talking 500GB per household...4k video then we are into several TB.

So if the average user consumer 5GB of data...let's go with a more reasonable 100X and we could be talking 500GB per user - basically unlimited with tethering. EXCEPT now you've got people streaming 4k video.....so caps must always exist and a truly unlimited model is probably not feasible because, of course, after 4k video comes 8k video and Dolby Atmos.

4K video encoded with HEVC is more efficient that h.264 by a long shot.
But nobody needs 4K on a phone for playback. I agree that that doesn't make sense.
Doslby Atmos is efficient.
We'll need to disagree on what a feasible model is, but make no mistake that Verizon sees data as the next boom which is why minutes and texting are free. Verizon's model is about making money.
People argues that unlimited minutes was not a viable model and here we are with unlimited minutes.
Testing never cost them anything because it's part of the null space in the signaling, but they charged $.10-15/text until they couldn't make money anymore.

We are seeing increased bandwidth in their backhaul and increased efficiency in network utilization while the prices continue to rise. Why is it when we have one of the most efficient network implementations that are prices keep going up where the rest of the world is seeing reduced prices?

We have a situation in America much like we had with land lines and a few companies controlling access. AT&T is larger now and has more control that when they were broken up.

I don't think this discussion is going productive because you have some individuals here appear to angry that other individuals were able to hang on to unlimited data and there is significant animosity associated with that.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
This has always been a hot topic and some people are more emotional about it than others. Still it drives a lot of dialog and is a good debate topic as long as people don't get offensive, disrespectful or aggressive.

We must all remember that opinions are fine and everyone has the right to an opinion, even if someone else disagrees. Too often people think that they need to change an opposing view. That's not what a debate is about. It's about sifting through it all and coming to a consensus.

Feel free to express your opinions but please always remember to be respectful of others.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I used to think 4k video on phone was pointless till I tried watching 1080p through Google cardboard and 4k on same device. Yeah 4k makes a huge difference on phone when it comes to vr, what most manufacturers are now pushing to consumers. 1080p in vr is pixelated like Mario Bros on nes.

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
I used to think 4k video on phone was pointless till I tried watching 1080p through Google cardboard and 4k on same device. Yeah 4k makes a huge difference on phone when it comes to vr, what most manufacturers are now pushing to consumers. 1080p in vr is pixelated like Mario Bros on nes.

Point taken.
I forgot about VR where the image resolution is now ½ of the 1080p.
So it's effectively 520p which is only slightly better than standard def.
So the exception is VR, but regular viewing on a phone still has no real need beyond 1080.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
We are seeing increased bandwidth in their backhaul and increased efficiency in network utilization while the prices continue to rise. Why is it when we have one of the most efficient network implementations that are prices keep going up where the rest of the world is seeing reduced prices?

Because they are continuing to invest in infrastructure and new technology. If you're happy with 4G never getting better, then prices could start to fall down. But if you want the next best thing, you have to pay for the R&D.

We've had this discussion over and over as well. Other countries are smaller and more population dense - their rollouts/upgrades are faster and cheaper because the footprint is so much smaller.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Because they are continuing to invest in infrastructure and new technology...

Other countries are smaller and more population dense - their rollouts/upgrades are faster and cheaper because the footprint is so much smaller.

Excellent point.

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not so fast.
As you improve your backhaul you get higher bandwidth and better service, but the cost to transmit a byte of data goes down. So you would at least expect to see the price of data decline at a decent rate; much like that of the cost per call minute.

This situation is very similar to texts being free early on.
When the demand for text messaging increased, so did the price.
At $.10 txt the price was outrageous. The pricing had nothing to do with cost of delivery.
The cost of delivery was a sunk cost because they had to deliver the 160 characters even if it was null characters because that was idle space in the protocol. So it cost practically nothing to upload/deliver the text but they sure did charge a lot.

What we have been seeing is stagnant rates and the effects of a duopoly.
For the most part Verizon and AT&T ignore what the others do.
While not directly colluding on pricing and price fixing; they most certainly are not competitive on their rates because real competition is lacking.

This is how Internet speed and price in the U.S. compares to the rest of the world

The last time Verizon did something to really retain customers was when they gave a $20 credit on data plans to keep people from fleeing to Sprint about seven years ago. It is not surprise that the cost of the data plan went up by $20 last year to offset the promotion on a lot of UDP lines that still exist.

Anyway, the cost should be getting cheaper for the same service or you should get more data for the same money. That's how growth in a technology industry works. But when you have almost no real competition, that does not happen.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyway, the cost should be getting cheaper for the same service...

Yes, another term for that is a return on investment. They are already starting their upgrades to 5G.

Ask yourself if VZW is so evil and greedy why do they have "no real competition"? Maybe, just maybe, they are actually charging a fairly reasonable return on their investment.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The last time Verizon did something to really retain customers was when they gave a $20 credit on data plans to keep people from fleeing to Sprint about seven years ago. It is not surprise that the cost of the data plan went up by $20 last year to offset the promotion on a lot of UDP lines that still exist.

LOL, the price had been $30 since I got a smartphone back in 2009 - had nothing to do with any credit to keep me from fleeing to Sprint.

Otherwise....wow....so 7 years later they bump the price on less than 1% of users to recover those credits?!?

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes, another term for that is a return on investment. They are already starting their upgrades to 5G.

Ask yourself if VZW is so evil and greedy why do they have "no real competition"? Maybe, just maybe, they are actually charging a fairly reasonable return on their investment.

Look up the term for duopoly. The competition is equally as greedy. The real competition is AT&T. But they have no real incentive to compete.

So here we have two huge carriers with no incentive to compete on price at all.
If Verizon gets too expensive or kicks me off my UDP, I'll move to T-Mobile.
The coverage is good where I am, it's just not motivating enough to switch yet.