update to 2.2... lost video playback. a common problem?

jwhostet

Reaction score
I updated to 2.2 followed the instructions perfectly and used the build.prop file to fix the market problem. I went to go playback a video i had taken before 2.2 and I get the error file cannot be played or displayed. Just to check I took another video after the 2.2 update and it took it just fine but when i go to play it back it gives the same error. Anybody else having this problem? Or does anybody have a fix for it?
I am rooted but other than that and the 2.2 update thats the only major thing i have done to my droid x as far as i can think.
Thanks.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yes changing that option in the build prop is causing errors due to the fact that media player has issues with 3gp which is what phone records.

fwaggle

Reaction score
If your build.prop file has stagefright enabled, you'll lose the ability to playback video taken with the phone.

Just open up build.prop with your favorite text editor, change the stagefright lines to false, push it to your sdcard and then move it over to /system.

It's a pity stagefright framework is broken with the motoblur video viewer, because (though I concede I may be imagining it) it seems like it makes things like YouTube and the flash stuff seem a lot smoother.

armedmonkey

Reaction score
In the future, you should post links to the instructions and file you use... it would be helpful.

OP
J

jwhostet

Reaction score
Thank you Sydman and fwaggle it was definitely the build.prop file... I changed te lines to false and it fixed my video playback problem. If i wasn't so freaked out that i lost video playback i might have thought of checking the build.prop file but I am very glad you guys were able to help me with my limited information on problem and current phone state.. armedmonkey I didn't think about posting the directions and files I used it might have helped even more. The next time i post something i will remember to do that. Thanks

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
No problem, I knew what you were talking about I tried that last night to get a better Quandrant score. Changed it back though having a video player enabled just to get a better benchmark is useless if that video player does not support the files the phone records.

LexusBrian400

Reaction score
A different workaround, is to not record in HD. Then you can playback videos, but without HD functionality. So pick one, high (fake) quadrant scores, or HD video.

The reason I say they are fake is because quadrant is skipping the H.264 encoding all-together. So you cant really count that as "performance".

hijackerjack

Reaction score
A different workaround, is to not record in HD. Then you can playback videos, but without HD functionality. So pick one, high (fake) quadrant scores, or HD video.

The reason I say they are fake is because quadrant is skipping the H.264 encoding all-together. So you cant really count that as "performance".

I dont think its skipping it. I just think its decoding H.264 like 10x faster than it was before.

iojk9999

Reaction score
If you want to view the HD videos you took, a workaround is to touch (long press) the video when in the Camera Roll view till the menu box pops up. then select 'edit', then select 'advanced editing', then play the video. I doubt this will play over hdmi, but it will play on the phone.

Last edited:

OSX2000

Reaction score

I dont think its skipping it. I just think its decoding H.264 like 10x faster than it was before.
It's not decoding anything at all, because with Stagefright enabled, H.264 is for the most part a no-go.

I just disabled Stagefright on my Droid, after reading this thread, and I am happy to report that ALL videos on my SD card that have been broken since the installation of Froyo, now play perfectly. And my Quadrant score is back to the mid-700s, down from the 1500s.

Thanks guys, for helping to solve this 2-month old mystery.

Out of Luck

Reaction score
Are there more video issues

Actually, I had some .mov files sent to me (email attachment) which played just fine prior to the upgrade. All I had to do was click, then once downloaded click and they played fine. Now I can go back to the same email, click on the already downloaded file (or re-email and down load again) and when I click to play I get a dialogue box that says cannot play video... Sorry this video cannot be played. I assumed that the update eliminated .mov for some reason. As a result, I installed RockPlayer and was able to play the video?? Seems strange. Also after the error message, the shifts between screens seems slow, clunky and really seem to not clear up unless I return to the home screen. Any thougths? Larry J

dirtboy

Reaction score
All of my video playback is dead even the camera. I didn't notice it until I tried to get the Flash from Megaupload, but it may have happened when I went to 2.2. my build # is FRG01B.

I tried the fix on this link, but I cannot copy my edited build.prop back to the system folder.

bigkell5

Reaction score
I tried the fix on this link, but I cannot copy my edited build.prop back to the system folder.[/QUOTE]

I have the same problem. I am rooted. How do I change the build.prop and save it in the system folder?