Update to 2.1 taking over an hour ...

jimfarris

Reaction score
Started the 2.1 update on my Droid over an hour ago. All that has shown the whole time is the white Motorola logo on a black screen. It won't allow me to even turn off the phone manually. Should it take this long? Should I take out the battery and SD to reboot the thing? I did that once before when it stalled out during regular use.

Thanks
Jim

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
is it the ota update or you doing it manually
do you have any root related files on your sdcard

OP
J

jimfarris

Reaction score
ota

It's an OTA update ... and I have no idea what's on my SD card! :icon_eek:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
ok then I can assume you are not rooted lol. Make sure you have enough power (ie not below 40% battery). And if it stop loading you are safe to do a battery pull. The update is on your sdcard and it will kepp bugging you until it install. There are rooted people who were trying to avoid the update and has done a bunch of things and are still being bugged to install the update.

bwick84

Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing. I pulled my battery and rebooted but it still comes up the the Motorola logo. This is OTA and nothing is rooted.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hope that works. I am going to sign off for a bit to drive to work. But I will check this thread again when I get to work to make sure you are good to go.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing. I pulled my battery and rebooted but it still comes up the the Motorola logo. This is OTA and nothing is rooted.

Since you are not rooted there should be nothing holding you on the motorola "M" unless your battery is low. Maybe allow it to charge in the wall charger for a bit then try it again. If you still have a problem we can see about fixing it in recoverymode. But for now try charging it first.

OP
J

jimfarris

Reaction score
Me too ... just did the battery pull, put it back, and nothing but the logo. Should I just take it to the Verizon store?

bwick84

Reaction score

Since you are not rooted there should be nothing holding you on the motorola "M" unless your battery is low. Maybe allow it to charge in the wall charger for a bit then try it again. If you still have a problem we can see about fixing it in recoverymode. But for now try charging it first.

I have a full battery. I just pulled it off the charger this morning when I saw the update. I did that and it loaded the update (had the picture of info being transferred to the phone and the status bar). It completed that and rebooted and I haven't been able to get anything but the Motorola logo since.

OP
J

jimfarris

Reaction score
The battery was about 80% charged before the update, and was plugged into the charger the whole time it was updating.

bwick84

Reaction score
I tried plugging it back in too but still nothing, just the logo.

OP
J

jimfarris

Reaction score
I have a full battery, too ... it was maybe at 80% when I started the upgrade, and was plugged in the whole time ... have pulled battery & SD card twice now, still have only the logo showing. <sigh>

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
reboot into recovery (turn off power. hold x and power on, continue holding x until you get thr explanation mark in a triangle)
Apply sd card update.zip. wipe cache. reboot

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
reboot by clicking on the option to reboot system now