Update Swype Version?

hannaxbear

Reaction score
Is there a way to update the Swype version that comes with the Droid X? There are just a few bugs with the installed version that annoy me (i.e. no double-tap-to-edit and an extra space is added when replacing a word by Swyping after opening the word choice window).

Thanks in advance!

elitecmdr666

Reaction score
I don't think there's an update and I agree it does need to be updated but don't know who should update it, either vzw or swype devs.

Sent from my DROID X using DroidForums App

OP
H

hannaxbear

Reaction score
Actually, I've seen newer Swype versions on other forums available for download, but when I tried to install one, it didn't work for me, so I was wondering if anyone else was successful or knew how.

rmcomer

Reaction score
I am on the Swype beta team and I was able to update to the latest Swype app. I used root explorer and went into /system/app and renamed Swype.apk to Swype.apk.bak and then went to /system/lib and renamed libSwypeCore.so to libSwypeCore.so.bak.

Once I rebooted, I was able to install the newest Swype app.

OP
H

hannaxbear

Reaction score
I am on the Swype beta team and I was able to update to the latest Swype app. I used root explorer and went into /system/app and renamed Swype.apk to Swype.apk.bak and then went to /system/lib and renamed libSwypeCore.so to libSwypeCore.so.bak.

I only have a Swype APK to install. Does that automatically create a libSwypeCore.so?

Also, do you know what Swype version works with the Droid X? I think after some researching I found that it's WVGA854. Is that correct?

Thanks for your help.

rmcomer

Reaction score

I only have a Swype APK to install. Does that automatically create a libSwypeCore.so?

Also, do you know what Swype version works with the Droid X? I think after some researching I found that it's WVGA854. Is that correct?

Thanks for your help.

That is the correct version. It'll install the full apk in data/app so you can't have libSwypeCore.so in system/lib else it will constantly fc.

OP
H

hannaxbear

Reaction score

Thanks for your help.

That is the correct version. It'll install the full apk in data/app so you can't have libSwypeCore.so in system/lib else it will constantly fc.

Thanks! I got it working. I just had to reboot my phone before installing the new APK.

OP
H

hannaxbear

Reaction score
so what new about this version?
Quoted from the post that I found the APK file in--

New in swype 2.10:

* Added microphone button (QWERTY only. Requires Google Voice Search be pre-integrated in your phone’s ROM)
* Added French & EXPERIMENTAL Chinese Pinyin languages
* Modified new word priority defaults. The word-choice-window will now be ordered more intelligently when encountering custom dictionary words
* Fixed a bug where an extra space would be added when replacing a word by Swyping after opening the word choice window
* Improved the "Hidden-Word" dialog handling so it doesn't show up as often (more improvements to this next time)
* Improved prediction when handling various path collisions
* Resolved an accuracy issue that was introduced in the last Beta update. New software features supporting additional languages were included in the beta before the test plan for those features was complete (it is a beta after all). Subsequent testing identified the accuracy issue and corrections made. These new tests have been incorporated into our regression testing to prevent future accuracy issues.
* Added Double-Tap-to-Edit and Cursor Restore
* Lots of minor bug fixes