Update still available

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by danktamagachi, Apr 17, 2010.

1. danktamagachi

danktamagachi New Member

Hi all,

So I noticed the other day on my phone running BB .9 and Smoked Glass Theme that the real 2.1 update was showing as available in my "About Phone" section in the settings program. I've heard that the phone keeping this update available and downloading it can affect battery life, so I was wondering if there was a way to disable it? I know that it can't install due to the missing OTACERTS file, but is there a way to disable the downloading of the update all together?

Thanks!
  2. droidman101

droidman101 New Member

none that im aware of other than living in airplane mode the rest of your life :rofl3:
  3. dodgersrgood

dodgersrgood New Member

I think (but not sure) that u have to continue with the process as if u were actually updating but at a certain point sprecovery will block it
  4. awsolot

awsolot New Member

5. actngrezy

actngrezy New Member Developer

BYou cant disable it but you can make it so your system says up to date and no longer re downloads or has the download now in your updates...
    Follow the link awslot posted 2.1 update kills battery life.in that thread on about page 3 there is a post the guy says for people running bb v9 download this otacert.zip file....after you download the file use root explorer to move the otacertz.zip to ur etc/security file...u must hit he mount r/w button at the top and change the permissions on the otacerts file (check the read and write box under the user)to move it but once its moved the update will prompt you to install now or later hit now let it run and sprecovery will block the update from finishing then when your phone reboots go to your phone and updates it will say system is up to date......i was a little worried at first but
    I followed exactly what he said and this def works.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  6. beneharris

beneharris New Member

7. danktamagachi

danktamagachi New Member

Downloaded the otacerts.zip file in this thread and followed the instructions. The notification is no longer there!

Thanks!

p.s. if you don't want to use root explorer to do this, just put the file on your SD card, open a terminal on your phone, and use the busybox cp command to copy the file to the /etc/security/ folder.
  8. atmis

atmis New Member

Both mine and my friend's droid's with BB.9 were drinking battery as of late. I applied this fix, and now the battery is lasting WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYY longer.