[UPDATE]Motorola Olympus shows up on camera....again.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I've read from people that the Incredible HD had a Tegra 2 chip inside of it. Take it for what it's worth...

That is incorrect. HTC will probably go with the Qualcomm again.

Samsung, Motorola, Acer, Toshiba and Asus are the only manufacturers that bought the Tegra.

wmnomore

Reaction score
I have to say, the closer i look at this thing, the more i see that the build quality looks amazing so far.

2005CTS

Reaction score
I have to say, the closer i look at this thing, the more i see that the build quality looks amazing so far.

Yes. The build quality and packaging look really good. I really liked the look of the DX but hated the hump where the camera is. Had it been perfectly flat across the back - I probably would have jumped on it back this past summer - even with motoblur.

The new Motorola device has the packaging down, a powerful Tegra processor and nice large screen. If HTC and VZW continues to drag its feet on the DINC HD - then this will be my next device...on AT&T.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
I am trying to remember how many months it was prior to the DX's launch that such accurate finished pictures started hitting the web...was it within a month of the release?

Motorola Olympus Gallery

I believe it was May 2010 when the 1st pictures of the DX was leaked and Released July 15th. The guy in my vanpool had it in June before the Press Conference.

2005CTS

Reaction score
I am trying to remember how many months it was prior to the DX's launch that such accurate finished pictures started hitting the web...was it within a month of the release?

Motorola Olympus Gallery

I believe it was May 2010 when the 1st pictures of the DX was leaked and Released July 15th. The guy in my vanpool had it in June before the Press Conference.

So with that timeline...the earliest we will see this at AT&T would be late December or early January like the Facebook post indicated.

Bummer. I am dying for a new high end touch screen Android phone before Christmas.

BigMace23

Reaction score
Yeah but you have to remember that the software wasn't optimized for dual core. Once the software has been optimized for it, I'm sure it'll be much faster. Apparently that's the reason the Nexus S had to be delayed. Gingerbread needed to be reworked for dual core. Last minute decision to upgrade to a dual core processor made them have to do the change.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
jay speaks many truths here.

I just posted in another thread (Quad-Core in News section) that people may not be aware that Gingerbread will be optimized for the Dual-Core Tegra 2. The CEO of Nvidia has already commented on that. So these early videos of the LG Star are in no way an accurate portrayal of the Tegra 2 capabilities. The Star is running on 2.2 in those videos.

Samsungs Orion will be Nvidia's biggest challenger in these processor wars. These 2 are the heavy weights. Everyone else will be playing catch up.

Handsets running the Orion or the Tegra will be the creme de la creme of Android devices.

That's good to know that he confirmed gingerbread will be optimized for dual-core devices, but is it known yet if all of the 3rd party apps will have to be rewritten to take advantage of the dual-cores?

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Still waiting for the LTE phones, not to mention LTE service within my area, which doesn't appear to be coming any time soon.

andrew53517

Reaction score
CK, can you comment on this new thread that Phil Nickinson started just recently over at Android Central (if you know anything about it):

More on the Motorola Dogz - Android Forums

The point I'm alluding to is this one:
  • There's supposedly another 4.3-inch Motorola phone in the works. (That maybe the Etna?)

Have you heard anything about a 4.3 inch Motorola phone in the works? Since the pictures here are the Olympus, which is expected to go to ATT. Maybe Verizon would want a different version of a Tegra 2 phone, so they can Droid brand it. Just a thought. Once again, pure speculation. Thanks again CK!

bug_monster

Reaction score
That's good to know that he confirmed gingerbread will be optimized for dual-core devices, but is it known yet if all of the 3rd party apps will have to be rewritten to take advantage of the dual-cores?

I doubt most developers will rewrite thier apps to support dual-core, because there will be little to no improvement in doing so. All apps will run better just because the OS takes advantage of multiple cores - running core Android processes on one core and apps on another, or the active app on one core and background apps/services on another, depending on how they optimize it.

Some apps (like games or data-intense line-of-business ones) will benefit from adding multi-threading, but it will also depend on what Google opens up to third-party developers. Since it seems multi-core support was a last minute addition, I wouldn't be surprised if it was internal (OS) only, with third-party API's coming in a future version.

Regardless, there will be a significant improvement in overall performance of the OS and apps with dual-core optimized Gingerbread.

UNC

Reaction score
I don't mean in clock speed, I mean in actual processing power. The Hummingbird 1ghz is the best processor right now, and for 3d rendering will probably REMAIN the best for quite awhile.

Thats what I was talking about, so once again, I'd have to disagree. Tegra 2 will have much more power than the Hummingbird. The Orion on the other hand may have a little more power than the Tegra 2. Do a little research before you state that a last gen processor will be able to beat these new ones. If the tegra is going to be able to keep up with the Orion which has 5x the power of the Hummingbird then I dare say the Tegra 2 will crush the Hummingbird in performance. Nvidia is no newbie when it comes to rendering 3d.

nVidia IS a newb when it comes to smart phones, aren't they?

I guess everyone disregarded my iPhone 5 comment... Are y'all acting like it doesn't exist?

EgooEspada

Reaction score
I don't mean in clock speed, I mean in actual processing power. The Hummingbird 1ghz is the best processor right now, and for 3d rendering will probably REMAIN the best for quite awhile.

Thats what I was talking about, so once again, I'd have to disagree. Tegra 2 will have much more power than the Hummingbird. The Orion on the other hand may have a little more power than the Tegra 2. Do a little research before you state that a last gen processor will be able to beat these new ones. If the tegra is going to be able to keep up with the Orion which has 5x the power of the Hummingbird then I dare say the Tegra 2 will crush the Hummingbird in performance. Nvidia is no newbie when it comes to rendering 3d.

nVidia IS a newb when it comes to smart phones, aren't they?

I guess everyone disregarded my iPhone 5 comment... Are y'all acting like it doesn't exist?

I'm not sure, I guess they are when it comes to smartphones.

Also, regarding the iPhone 5 comment - if you're referring to it on VZW, I'm not seeing it. Every single year I hear "its coming!". My money is on an iPhone 6 release when LTE

Sent from my Droid

joker402

Reaction score
well for you iphone hopefulls, moto CEO said there will be heavy compition on verizon next early next year

but he also confirmed 2 tablets at the begining of the year

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
CK, can you comment on this new thread that Phil Nickinson started just recently over at Android Central (if you know anything about it):

More on the Motorola Dogz - Android Forums

The point I'm alluding to is this one:
  • There's supposedly another 4.3-inch Motorola phone in the works. (That maybe the Etna?)

Have you heard anything about a 4.3 inch Motorola phone in the works? Since the pictures here are the Olympus, which is expected to go to ATT. Maybe Verizon would want a different version of a Tegra 2 phone, so they can Droid brand it. Just a thought. Once again, pure speculation. Thanks again CK!
I'm not sure what you already know so forgive if I tell you something that you already may know.

So okay the Motorola Olympus is going to AT&T (you already know that) the Verizon version will be called the Etna. Now here's what I think he's talking about. The specs on this device here are unknown except that it will be a slider. So I believe he's is picking up some info on the Solana (in link).

This is only a educated guess from what little info I have but I believe that this is the case. It almost has to be because there is so little known accept that there is another great Moto device on the way that is going by the code name Solana.