[UPDATE]Motorola Olympus shows up on camera....again.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
My Vanpool contact is not giving me anything on the Etna. Only have a few more weeks in the vanpool. I hope he gives me something..

rybnik

Reaction score
And we dont know if they are even going to charge a premium for LTE in areas that wont have LTE untill a later date.

For all we know you can by an LTE phone and block LTE and only use the 3G part. (not likely but you get the poing)

Yeah, THAT would be fair. But when has a US cellular provider ever gone out of their way to be fair to its customers....:r_c:

2005CTS

Reaction score
My Vanpool contact is not giving me anything on the Etna. Only have a few more weeks in the vanpool. I hope he gives me something..

Since Etna is probably still 2-3 months away for VZW - he may not know yet. But any information would be helpful. Seeing as what appears to be a final build has been pictured running on AT&T's network - I expect it will be out in the next few weeks with VZW's to follow in March - if I had to guess.

griz8791

Reaction score
. . . Yeah, THAT would be fair. But when has a US cellular provider ever gone out of their way to be fair to its customers....:r_c:

+1. Many of these things have a whiff of anti-trust violations about them (e.g., Galaxy Tab phone service mysteriously disabled for U.S. market; multiple carriers charging a premium for LTE even when it isn't available in your area).

rybnik

Reaction score
. . . Yeah, THAT would be fair. But when has a US cellular provider ever gone out of their way to be fair to its customers....:r_c:

+1. Many of these things have a whiff of anti-trust violations about them (e.g., Galaxy Tab phone service mysteriously disabled for U.S. market; multiple carriers charging a premium for LTE even when it isn't available in your area).

Sadly, I don't think enough people in America are motivated to try doing anything about it....Also, these kind of things cost a lot of money.

However, if anyone here wants to build an antitrust case that has any chance of success, I would be happy to provide ceremonial support (got no extra cash though).

joker402

Reaction score
I agree with the above 2 posters. In america most are guided. For being the land of the free we really aren't to confident to follow are own paths. In the uk you can pick your carrier and your phone. Here we can but its not easy because every one has a con. Can't get this phone because you have to get that network. This phone is the same network as X, but X wont allow it on there network. Carriers set the rules and we blindy follow. O well all the carriers care about is what makes them$$$ and the government is the same way.

Now back to the phone, can anybody tell if it has a mechanical shutter like the dx on the camera? I mean chances are the Verizon version is the follow up to the X. Id trade mega pixles for quality but I wont step down if the sensor is just some generic POS.

Sent from my DROIDX

tmwilson02

Reaction score
After 2 agonizing months of researching and waiting for the Merge I have decided to put myself through the same thing for the Etna.

Has there been any pictures of carrier branded phones anywhere? If I recall they all have just been branded Motorola.

It seems like the Etna is going to be Verizon's flagship 4G phone. I live in an area that will not have 4G for atleast another year. Is the Etna going to be compatible with 3G? I have not been able to find an answer to this anywhere.

I enjoy checking this thread every 15 minutes or so, and want to keep the conversation going. Thanks.:)

creaky

Reaction score
After 2 agonizing months of researching and waiting for the Merge I have decided to put myself through the same thing for the Etna.

Has there been any pictures of carrier branded phones anywhere? If I recall they all have just been branded Motorola.

It seems like the Etna is going to be Verizon's flagship 4G phone. I live in an area that will not have 4G for atleast another year. Is the Etna going to be compatible with 3G? I have not been able to find an answer to this anywhere.

All LTE phones will be compatible with 3G networks.

I am with you: I have been sitting on an upgrade (from a POS Storm 1!!!) for a while and am waiting for the Etna. I got excited about the DInc HD but HTC and VZW blew it with that one. I am intrigued by the Samsung Stealth but don't like Samsung's flimsy-feeling plastic casing. In any case, I'm hoping by February we'll have lots to choose from. Waiting until March would be hard. Very, very hard.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState

I am with you: I have been sitting on an upgrade (from a POS Storm 1!!!) for a while and am waiting for the Etna. I got excited about the DInc HD but HTC and VZW blew it with that one. I am intrigued by the Samsung Stealth but don't like Samsung's flimsy-feeling plastic casing. In any case, I'm hoping by February we'll have lots to choose from. Waiting until March would be hard. Very, very hard.

I am hearing that Verizon will be going the same route has Sprint!!! I just hoping it is not true. I am living in a 3G area? The Etna will be my next phone.

EgooEspada

Reaction score

I am hearing that Verizon will be going the same route has Sprint!!! I just hoping it is not true. I am living in a 3G area? The Etna will be my next phone.

They're gonna have different data plans for for 4G. Last I heard was Verizon "felt 10GB is what users use [max]" and they were referring to LTE smartphones (don't know about tablets). I'll try to find the article, it was just a few days ago.

Also, I'm not entirely sure about this, but you can choose to keep it on 3G and not get your SIM card so it abides by the 3G plans.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
A 10GB plan thats reasonable is more than enough. I assume the average person doesnt use that in a month.

rybnik

Reaction score

They're gonna have different data plans for for 4G. Last I heard was Verizon "felt 10GB is what users use [max]" and they were referring to LTE smartphones (don't know about tablets). I'll try to find the article, it was just a few days ago.

Also, I'm not entirely sure about this, but you can choose to keep it on 3G and not get your SIM card so it abides by the 3G plans.

Ego, I hope you are right. That would be awesome as then I can chose whatever LTE phone I want and only upgrade service when LTE becomes available. I would like more confirmation that this will be the case though.... :D