Update Killed My Charge

Discussion in 'Samsung Droid Charge' started by gamja3605, Jun 11, 2011.

1. gamja3605

gamja3605 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I'm in a bit of a bind right now

Last night I received the update message on my phone so I did a little dance and I proceeded to make my awesome droid a little better

everything seemed to be ok, the phone rebooted and then it was stuck on the samsung logo for an hour.

So I went through my options and I put my phone in "download mode" and tried to apply the voodoo fix in an attempt to recover my phone to a usable state,
    unfortunately this did nothing and after 5 attempts at voodoo + odin3 I called it a night and decided to hit the verizon store after work.

Took it to the store and I explained my situation.
    Told me that they would not touch the phone because of the rooting process done by voodoo, that my warranty was voided and my only option was buying another phone.

Does anyone be chance have the Original Charge Kernal so that I can try Odin3 that way

or if anyone has any sort of advice on how I could get my phone into a working position I would love them forever

scummvm on my phone got me so happy, dead phone and $550 to buy a new charge has me a bit depressed

2. zerosignal0

zerosignal0 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would never tell anyone to do anything unbecoming but do you happen to have insurance? If the phone was to get dropped in water or run over it wouldn't be readily apparent that rooting was attempted and you would pay less than buying a new phone outright...

3. pdc419

pdc419 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know if they do this bit Verizon might have flagged your line letting the insurance know. Then you might be out of a phone and worrying about insurance fraud charges. I'm sure a lawyer is more costly than a new phone

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    :welcome: to the Forum. I don't know if this is just a first post or if you've been here before but we always mention that rooting your phone does void your warranty.

They probably made a record of it, otherwise I would suggest calling customer service and get a new phone from them.

The one time I bricked my phone I got stuck on the logo. I couldn't get it to recover. Now your phone is totally different then my Motorola Droid 2 so I hope someone can help you out. But before it bricked I did get it to it's stock OS.

I hope someone has an idea for you. This could indeed be a $500.00 mistake.

5. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    We don't allow discussions on insurance fraud. I probably shouldn't of mentioned what I did either.

6. mth04

mth04 Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    if it goes in to download mode it is fixable. Just get the ED1 rom and use odin to recover and go back words. Then go back to eef and becareful doing so

7. elucid

elucid Member

Ratings:
    +0
  8. AzJazz

AzJazz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    First, the bad news: I am sure you don't have any sort of warranty anymore. Verizon started instructing their employees to identify rooted phones, and tag them as voiding the warranty. So, don't drop the phone to try and get a replacement, because you may not get one.

Secondly, the good news: You are not in serious trouble. While your phone is stuck, it is not "bricked". Try following this: [ODIN] Stock Rooted ED1 (downgrade from ED2) [2011.05.18] - xda-developers

Remember to use a direct USB connection to your PC.

Also: I have had very good luck with running ODIN using "Administrator Mode" while in Win7 (or, Vista).

After that, you can try again to get yourself back to EE4.

Let us know how it goes!

Cheers,

AzJazz

9. kparks

kparks Active Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I agree I would try everything to unroot the phone and if nothing works then just maybe your phone fell out of ur pocket into a lake and was unrecoverable is the one I would go with
    Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

10. gamja3605

gamja3605 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to everyone here for the help

my charge is back and running again!

and while it still has some quirks and no longer has a warranty, I'm very happy that it turns on and works

...now if I could just get some 4g around here things would be perfect :)

11. addictedhacks

addictedhacks Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Fix your charge

Dont worry, there is hope. Do exactly as the previous post said and use odin. Download it along with the ed1 root file. Follow instructions as if nothing was wrong with your phone. Basically you are just flashing that to your phone which at the moment has nothing on it. Once you install it the ee4 update will come and if you just want a stock phone go with it or install a rom etc. Do not panic. I heard it once said that a bootlooped phone is a phone waiting to happen. Here is the link
    :icon_ banana:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1085190:icon_ banana:

12. addictedhacks

addictedhacks Member

Ratings:
    +0
    fix your charge

Also I believe if your rooted using a custom rom and verizon throws out a system update its best that you wait for your current rom developer to come up with an updated rom for you to install rather than installing directly from Verizon.

Search tags for this page
adr6400l
cant see my droid charge in download mode
free samsung droid charge download mode
how to enter download mode droid charge
put charge in download mode

samsung droid charge diag mode

samsung droid charge diagnostic mode
updated killed my charging
voodoochargecwm-2.tar
will phone charge while in download mode