update fails...

andlamv

Reaction score
im trying to update my phone but it fails.. im rooted and that might be the cause?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

gsDroid

Reaction score
Being rooted is not the cause. I was on .901, stock, forever root, bootstrap and took the OTA with no problem. What can be a problem is if you are on a custom rom, have frozen or deleted any system apps, or have edited your build.prop file.

OP
andlamv

andlamv

Reaction score
is there a way to fix it? i unfroze a lot of apps and made sure everything was running and unfroze

Kryptyk

Reaction score
You can always go through the unroot method again back to .866 or whatever that people used to get back on the upgrade path and leave everything at stock and alone. May take some time, but it will work like that.

OP
andlamv

andlamv

Reaction score
okay, is there a link you can give me for that also i do remember editing something in a registry it was for wifi tether program to work.. if anyone can remember where that registry was and tell me where it is locatex that would be great

Mamba94

Reaction score
You need to make sure that you don't have any themes applied or any of the bloatware frozen. I didn't have any bloat frozen but I did have a themed battery icon that was causing the OTA to fail. I think the themed battery icon causes the framework verification during the OTA update to fail.

evile84

Reaction score
I am having the same problem I did have a bunch of bloatware uninstalled I was able to reisntall everything but Flickr authenticator and guided tours 2.3.4 using titanium back up. when I try to restor them it hangs up

gsDroid

Reaction score
okay, is there a link you can give me for that also i do remember editing something in a registry it was for wifi tether program to work.. if anyone can remember where that registry was and tell me where it is locatex that would be great
The file you edited is might be build.prop in the /system folder. It includes values for wifi scan interval, heapsize, etc., but I don't know about the wifi tether edit. It must be original for the update to take. If you edited it only once with root explorer, it would have created a backup of the original named build.prop.bak. You can try renaming the edited file, then renaming the .bak file to its original build.prop. All other system files must be present and unfrozen.

DROIDsys

Reaction score
My update is failing as well, but I'm almost certain it's because of the webtop hack I had installed. Is there a way to reverse the webtop hack? I don't have a backup and I would hate to have to reflash to get the update. Currently on 5.5.593, no bloatware was frozen, no themes are installed. Just stock (with root) with the webtop hack.

DROIDsys

Reaction score
This worked perfectly! Thank you so much for the link dude. Took altogether about 20 mins, got to 5.9.902, re-rooted and all is good in the world. Thanks again! :happy3: