update fails

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
Sounds like your not on wifi, don't think it will download over mobile data?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

MrBaz

Reaction score
It's not giving me an error. It says an update is available, so I download it. Then it asks if I wanna install it, so I click yes. It shuts down, looks like it's installing for a few seconds, then a an exclamation point shows up, it starts, then I get a pop up box saying the download failed.

I'm in the exact same boat you are.

I'm forever rooted. Using Titatnium Backup, I have checked to make sure everything is unfrozen. I've done a factory reset 3 times. I've done the factory erase data thing (for internal memory, not SD card).

It will download over 3G, 4G, or WiFi.

I go to install, it does its thing, reboots and simply says it failed. A system info log viewer doesn't yield any helpful results (I have to admit, I have no idea what I'm looking for).

This is so irritating. I have tons of problems with this Bionic and this was the last chance I was going to give it.

yaterml

Reaction score
I had the same issue it seemed to come from a corrupt file as a result of using Market Fixer. It wouldnt restore via tb so I backed up everything via nandroid then restored everything to an earlier version. I upgraded then restored my data cashed s-ext to what they were I've been good all day

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
None of this is working. I tried to download the update from the other thread,but now I can't get into recovery. When I try, I get the android with the exclamation point and have to do a battery pull to start up normally.

uscfan989

Reaction score
If you have Titanium Backup, you can goto the Backup/Restore tab and hit Books 1.5.2(1502), then Restore if you have a previous copy backed up. I would try that first, perhaps the .902 attempt corrupted the file.

I have seen others that tried to use the market app to replace a potential bad file and don't think it works. Not sure if your MD5 is actually listed in the error or not, if so, it doesn't match my file- a064f4143892b5e1856f23d0c11b7a66(.902), maybe someone else can confirm that. Otherwise, I could upload a copy of my file to dropbox for you to pull and replace via app like Root Explorer.

Edited: Since I was already probing around in my system folder anyway, here is copy of my .apk if you do need it:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61128903/BooksPhone.apk

Need this file, it says that it can't be found when I click on it. How do i install it?

zhill29

Reaction score
Well I have also been having problems updating. I flashed back to complete stock .886 but I didn't set up my google account so I didn't have google books on the phone at all. Now that I have it I will try again and let you guys know.

Edit: Just tried it again and it still failed. Going to try again with the file 2THEXTRM posted. But I'm losing hope.

pacuff

Reaction score
902 Update Successful

:icon_ lala:
My grattitude also. I was experiencing the same CRC issue with BooksPhone.apk. Your file saved me and the manual update was successful from .893 to .902.

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
:icon_ lala:
My grattitude also. I was experiencing the same CRC issue with BooksPhone.apk. Your file saved me and the manual update was successful from .893 to .902.

Glad it helped, just payin it forward;)

Sent from my VTAB1008 using DroidForums

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
None of this is working. I tried to download the update from the other thread,but now I can't get into recovery. When I try, I get the android with the exclamation point and have to do a battery pull to start up normally.

Sorry different see your post earlier. if you haven't already figured it out, you need to push your volume button in, up and down at the same time to enter stock recovery

backitude

Reaction score
I believe I restored all bloatware apps but still failing to update. I assumed it'd work as I had to go through all this with the 893 update as well. Restore apps, set permissions, set owners..etc And the update is still failing. How are you guys determining HOW it is failing? ie, books.apk or whatever. Will it really print out to the android adk console because its trying to update and fails when the phones not even technically on, so I'm not sure how to see the output? I just want to see why, so I know if one of my files are corrupt too.

uscfan989

Reaction score
SOMEONE please help me

I got booksphone.apk back into its appropriate folder. However, i am still missing booksphone.odex if someone can upload that for me. I also went ahead and tried the ota update anyway just to see if it would accept the booksphone.apk and it still stated there was a problem with the file. I've already tried the factory reset and using the .893 update from sd card. Someone's gotta' walk me through this. I'd hate to have to unroot the phone, delete everything, and take it back to verizon for a refurb.

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
I got booksphone.apk back into its appropriate folder. However, i am still missing booksphone.odex if someone can upload that for me. I also went ahead and tried the ota update anyway just to see if it would accept the booksphone.apk and it still stated there was a problem with the file. I've already tried the factory reset and using the .893 update from sd card. Someone's gotta' walk me through this. I'd hate to have to unroot the phone, delete everything, and take it back to verizon for a refurb.

Been playing with TiBu this morning, I used it to send my booksphone backup(not just the .apk) to my dropbox and it is broken into 3 files:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61128903/co...books-2a155633b7746919c422f7f37af9854f.apk.gz
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61128903/com.google.android.apps.books-20120203-183202.properties
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61128903/com.google.android.apps.books-20120203-183202.tar.gz

Copy these to the mnt/sdcard/TitaniumBackup folder. Technically, you should able to see this file in TiBu, select it with short press and the choose Restore. Worth the try since it shouldn't cause any issues if it fails.

Report back if this worked, If it doesn't, someone more familiar with this issue can hopefully chime in with a successful workaround.

uscfan989

Reaction score
Been playing with TiBu this morning, I used it to send my booksphone backup(not just the .apk) to my dropbox and it is broken into 3 files:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61128903/co...books-2a155633b7746919c422f7f37af9854f.apk.gz
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61128903/com.google.android.apps.books-20120203-183202.properties
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61128903/com.google.android.apps.books-20120203-183202.tar.gz

Copy these to the mnt/sdcard/TitaniumBackup folder. Technically, you should able to see this file in TiBu, select it with short press and the choose Restore. Worth the try since it shouldn't cause any issues if it fails.

Report back if this worked, If it doesn't, someone more familiar with this issue can hopefully chime in with a successful workaround.

Copied all three files to the TB folder, then went into TB and was able to restore app+data for Books 1.5.2. Icon is there in dock, but it is now still giving me the error message when trying to OTA the update. Am I missing something?