Update Failed?

Cooly1911

Reaction score
Is the phone in charge only?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Cooly1911

Reaction score
All drivers up to date? Was the phone running, powered up? Usb debugging checked?

karenjnadeau

Reaction score
All drivers up to date? Was the phone running, powered up? Usb debugging checked?

Yes, yes, and yes. I couldn't do the update OTA either. It's weird that it didn't say "device not found" when it was trying to push the 893, just the 901.

Cooly1911

Reaction score
Is there enough room on your ext sd card for both updates? You can copy them both to the card yourself, then just let the script run by the copy stage.

karenjnadeau

Reaction score
Is there enough room on your ext sd card for both updates? You can copy them both to the card yourself, then just let the script run by the copy stage.

Do I extract it first or just copy the compressed update 893 file directly to Sd card? I'm a bit nervous that this will brick my phone since I can't do an OTA and can't use pathsaver either. Something's not right.

Cooly1911

Reaction score
Copy straight. Don't extract, rename, or anything. Double check, you do have the latest moto drivers, the beta set. And skd tools is updated. If you've just installed them, try a reboot on both the phone and pc.

karenjnadeau

Reaction score
Copy straight. Don't extract, rename, or anything. Double check, you do have the latest moto drivers, the beta set. And skd tools is updated. If you've just installed them, try a reboot on both the phone and pc.

I just updated sdk tools using sdk manager. I'll reboot and try again.

karenjnadeau

Reaction score

what would happen if I called VZW and told them that I did a factory reset and still couldn't get the OTA to 893? I am rooted but would they know that?

karenjnadeau

Reaction score

ok, I think I'm getting closer. I updated drivers, rebooted phone and pc, and tried your file again. This time, I got:
Pushing the update zip file to your sd card
Do not wipe data or cache...
Pushing 5.5.893...
daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037
daemon started successfully
failed to copy 'update893.zip to '/sdcard-ext/update893.zip': Permission denied
Pushing 5.9.901...
failed to copy (same as above except 901)
rebooting phone to bootloader..

Told me to disconnect and I did. I think if I fix the permissions it might work, but I don't know how to do that.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
ok, I think I'm getting closer. I updated drivers, rebooted phone and pc, and tried your file again. This time, I got:
Pushing the update zip file to your sd card
Do not wipe data or cache...
Pushing 5.5.893...
daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037
daemon started successfully
failed to copy 'update893.zip to '/sdcard-ext/update893.zip': Permission denied
Pushing 5.9.901...
failed to copy (same as above except 901)
rebooting phone to bootloader..

Told me to disconnect and I did. I think if I fix the permissions it might work, but I don't know how to do that.

sounds like you dont have your phone in "charge only" mode on usb

ill update my instructions in a bit with a few more tips

karenjnadeau

Reaction score
sounds like you dont have your phone in "charge only" mode on usb

ill update my instructions in a bit with a few more tips

I'm definitely in USB charge mode. I ran a "fix permissions" using ROM Manager. Flashed back to my stock rom that I had forever rooted, thinking that maybe Liberty was the culprit? Haven't tried redoing it yet as I'm waiting for my battery to charge.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
I'm definitely in USB charge mode. I ran a "fix permissions" using ROM Manager. Flashed back to my stock rom that I had forever rooted, thinking that maybe Liberty was the culprit? Haven't tried redoing it yet as I'm waiting for my battery to charge.

hmmm
you could put the files on your sd manually as cooly said, and if it wont reboot into fastboot, do it manually while the script is open.
the script doesnt do anything while your phone is booted except transfer the files.

karenjnadeau

Reaction score
hmmm
you could put the files on your sd manually as cooly said, and if it wont reboot into fastboot, do it manually while the script is open.
the script doesnt do anything while your phone is booted except transfer the files.

Now you're losing me. I copied the update893.zip and update901.zip files to my phone's sd card. (not sdcard-ext, right?). I don't know what "reboot into fastboot" means. Can I use bootstrap recovery to update from sdcard, or are you saying I have to do it manually by using the volume and power keys? I also don't know what the rest of what you're saying about the script means either..sorry.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Now you're losing me. I copied the update893.zip and update901.zip files to my phone's sd card. (not sdcard-ext, right?). I don't know what "reboot into fastboot" means. Can I use bootstrap recovery to update from sdcard, or are you saying I have to do it manually by using the volume and power keys? I also don't know what the rest of what you're saying about the script means either..sorry.

the files have to be on your sd-ext, after you move those files :) start the pathsaver and see what happens, we dont care about the files part you will have already done that, what were looking for is the phone to reboot itself into fastboot, if it does not do it by itself, leave the pathsaver prompt open, power off your phone, disconnect the usb cable, press and hold the volume down button (dont let go lol) now press the power button for 2 seconds then let it go, as soon as the fastboot screen comes up let go of the volume button (it should be right away), next plug the usb cable back in, at this point the pathsaver script should start flashing things, look at the prompt and verify only, it shouldnt need any input, if its not doing anything we will have to drop back and punt lol