Update Failed?

karenjnadeau

Reaction score
this is your second phone, im assuming its a refirb?
the problem is this,if the person who had it before you flashed 893 or 901(unlikely) parts of the phone are ahead of what they should be on the 886 system so the update fails.
i cant say for sure this is your issue but there are very few things that would cause the update to fail.
i could suggest a script that will root and get you to 893 if your up for it (its really easy), let me know and ill post details.

I doubt anyone had the time since I purchased the phone on the release date and had to get a replacement during the first week, but I guess its possible. A script would be greatly appreciated.

karenjnadeau

Reaction score
i would think yes, it really doesnt take you off stock except for root.
the only way to do it wrong is choose the wrong option, wouldnt do anything to your phone, script just fails.

It never asked me.for options. It just said press any key to continue and did its thing. I did get the forever root script but I don't know if I was back to stock.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
It never asked me.for options. It just said press any key to continue and did its thing. I did get the forever root script but I don't know if I was back to stock.

hmm maybe im just thinking of the wrong script..

heres how to use the one i gave you,

, make sure you have the moto drivers installed
,plug your phone to pc via moto usb chord (preferred), and back port (if possible)
,put your phone in "charge only" mode
-** from here on you dont need to touch your phone until the script is done
,extract the file i gave you to a folder, open it, and click on the "runmebbb" file
,a prompt should open and may require you to press any key to start, do so
,*oops i forgot lol its going to ask you to make sure the files went onto your sd, check for those and click through the prompt after you see them, no more touching until the end lol
,let the script do its thing, its going to take a bit of time, thats normal
,when its done the prompt will close and your phone will reboot into recovery
*** the pre-recovery screen is the droid guy next to a tiangle (DONT PANIC lol) push in the middle of the 2 volume buttons and recovery will open
, choose install zip from sd and find the "893" file (do not choose the 901 file) and select yes to start it flashing
,when its done reboot the phone (again its gona take a while) and you should be rooted on 893 when its done
-** if at any time your phone gets stuck on the fastboot screen with a "cdt error", go into the pathsaver folder and click on the "901fix.bat" file and it will reboot normally
,,, if you want to flash 901 boot back into recovery and flash it after you fully boot up 893 (you "may" loose root, its 50-50, thats the way it is right now, the only way to get root on 901 is try the script again)

if you have any issues just ask
gl :)

edit- adding link to file for future reference
http://www.multiupload.com/Z46KBVQZUM

credit goes to P3Droid, RealBBB, CellZealot
i just put all the pieces together for you guys and gals
smile.png

Last edited:

karenjnadeau

Reaction score
No, you're thinking of the right link. It stated that it would give me options to choose from but never did. I will try your method and let you know. Thanks.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

karenjnadeau

Reaction score
I want to ask before I start this what a "path saver folder" is, just in case. Also, will I still have wifi tether and be able to still be on Liberty3 rom, or does 893 not work on that one?

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
No, you're thinking of the right link. It stated that it would give me options to choose from but never did. I will try your method and let you know. Thanks.

ohh lol, yea you definitely have to choose for it to do anything :)

karenjnadeau

Reaction score
Well, it gave me forever root, and at no time gave me an option to choose. It never stopped running and then it said it was done. Weird.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
I want to ask before I start this what a "path saver folder" is, just in case. Also, will I still have wifi tether and be able to still be on Liberty3 rom, or does 893 not work on that one?

pathsaver is the script i gave you, when you extract the file it will make its own folder "pathsaver" folder (containing the files)
you will be rooted tether should still work
you would have to check the developers post/site to see if that is compatible with 893, i dont know

karenjnadeau

Reaction score
pathsaver is the script i gave you, when you extract the file it will make its own folder "pathsaver" folder (containing the files)
you would have to check the developers post/site to see if that is compatible with 893, i dont know

One more question. Does it matter what rom I do this from? Does this link bring me back to stock with full bloatware? I'm on Liberty rom now with some frozen apps.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
One more question. Does it matter what rom I do this from? Does this link bring me back to stock with full bloatware? I'm on Liberty rom now with some frozen apps.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

it will be stock, most or all of the bloat will be there, i didnt notice anything important missing.
its going to re-write the system, whatever you had on there will be gone

Cooly1911

Reaction score
I'm curious. Does this mean we are staying at 893? Can I go back and flash the 901? Or shouldn't I do that?

karenjnadeau

Reaction score
Ok, just tried. I got the following:
Pushing the update zip file to your sdcard...
Do not wipe data or cache....
Pushing 5.5.893...
adb server is out of date. killing....
*daemon started successfully*
protocol failure
Pushing 5.9.901..
error: device not found
Rebooting phone to bootloader...
Press enter to continue if both files pushed to sdcard without an error...
If either file failed to push to device disconnect phone and exit this window...

Now what?