Update failed?!

das2042

Reaction score
Forgive me, but where do I find the "cache" folder on my bionic?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

das2042

Reaction score
Thank you for that, now do I just run the update in safestrap?

jayman350

Reaction score
Thank you for that, now do I just run the update in safestrap?

I'm pretty sure you have to run it in stock recovery, power off your phone, press and hold Volume + and - then press power button, should take you to stock recovery

das2042

Reaction score
I did do that, but when I hit the up button to go into recovery my phone froze

lykofos

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you have to run it in stock recovery, power off your phone, press and hold Volume + and - then press power button, should take you to stock recovery

Exactly, like I said in my previous post, that's how I figured out it was my missing swype.apk causing the issue. I should have posted the steps to get into stock recovery in my original post.

And for anyone else getting a failure, loading the OTA update from the stock android recovery console will tell you where the failure is happening so you have a better chance of diagnosing / fixing the issue.

View attachment 43793

Last edited:

lykofos

Reaction score
I did do that, but when I hit the up button to go into recovery my phone froze

Not good, that shouldn't happen! Did you try battery pull, and trying to get into stock android recovery again?

I call shenanigans on TylerDurden
I lost root after the update, I can't see how you wouldn't I even tried to root it again after and it does not succeed. Not trying to be accusatory, I have respect for you guys. I'm just pissed I lost root :angry:
Any hope to get it back? Anyone have any suggestions? I know Verizon likely patched the exploit used to gain root on the Bionic as it was when we each bought one before this update. Are we screwed now if we lost root?

Nope, he's telling the truth, no shenanigans. I was rooted and didn't lose root either after installing the OTA update. I used v2.1 of R3L3AS3DRoot and 43V3R root to root mine. I think some people that used Pete's originally and didn't properly apply 43V3R root are the ones losing root. You should definitely verify that the forever root was actually applied to the mount_ext3.sh before installing the OTA. But too late for that in your case. Some people in your shoes say that running the exploit found in this link gave them root back: can I re-root after 5.8.894 broke root? - Android Forums

das2042

Reaction score
Alright now im frustrated, I did the recovery update to see what I was missing and it was zumocast. So I downloaded it from the market and rerun the update and sure enough, still says im missing zumocast. Now what?

gmorgan056

Reaction score
When applying mine, it says it's missing account and sync settings, but it was never touched. All apps are loaded and unfrozen. I've even done a factory reset and it still won't work.

lykofos

Reaction score
Alright now im frustrated, I did the recovery update to see what I was missing and it was zumocast. So I downloaded it from the market and rerun the update and sure enough, still says im missing zumocast. Now what?

Apps installed from the market are in the "/data/app" folder, apps pre-installed on the phone are in the "system/app" folder, that's why it's not seeing the zumocast app during the OTA install. Try moving the zumocast.apk file from the data/app folder to the system/app folder. This should work in theory.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

josh1980

Reaction score
Step by step instructions to determine the cause for the update failing...

First post on this forum. I've been following the forum since I bought my Bionic. My phone is rooted with the forever root. For those of you(like I was until about an hour ago) that had a failed update but didn't know how to fix it, here's my step-by-step instructions.

How to fix your update on droid bionic:

1. Choose to check for updates from Settings, About Phone, System Update. Choose to download. The file will be downloaded to /cache/Blur_Version.5.5.886.XT875.Verizon.en.US.zip. When the download completes chose to install the update later.
2. Using an application like Root Explorer copy the file to your sd card(for the bionic since there are two "sd-cards" you want to copy the update file to /sdcard-ext/.
3. Shutdown your phone.
4. While holding down the volume + and - buttons press the power button. Your phone will take you to a menu. Press the "Volume -" button to go down to "Recovery". Press the "Volume +" button to select "Recovery".
5. A warning screen will appear with the android robot and an exclamation point in a triangle. Press "Volume +" and "Volume -" simultaneously to acknowledge the warning message.
6. Next use the "Volume -" button to go to "apply update from sdcard". Press the power button to choose the option highlighted.
7. Using the "Volume -" button select the "Blur_Version.5.5.886.XT875.Verizon.en.US.zip" and press the power button.
8. If the update installs succesfully then all is well and you should have the new version. If the update fails it will list the reason for the failure.

For me, I got the error:
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/framework/framework-res.apk",ef097cd81854d5227fe1e33d89a39dbc5a1c9c9c", "1ba0a7f2b5cdc18c21cf9d2ec17156b41c2550a")
This means that I need to restore the framework-res.apk file since it has been modified from the version expected.

Unfortunately, I can't find my original framework-res.apk. I'm not sure when or how it was modified since I haven't done anything too spectacular with my phone. Anyone have the original framework-res.apk file they could post? I have been doing backups using titanium backup, but it appears they are not "all encompassing" since I cannot find a framework-res.apk file anywhere.

Edit: Looks like the P3Driod Bionic ToolBox updates the framework-res.apk file when I added the 10% battery icon using the toolbox.

Thanks,

-Josh

Last edited:

josh1980

Reaction score
I was really trying to avoid returning to stock. I'll lose all my apps and settings :(.

I was using titanium backup as a backup tool in case my phone croacked suddenly. I had titanium backup setup to do a weekly backup of "all user apps + system data" but apparently that's not all encompassing.

During my research to fix my issue I found a program called "Bionic Bootstrapper". I installed it and have now performed a backup. Unfortunately, I didn't realize until now that my titanium backups weren't backing up everything I had.

I'm now debating with myself whether to reset the droid to stock or just wait until ice cream sandwich comes out, and then reset to stock and install the updates. Basically, I'm debating the value of the update for me. I haven't had very many problems with my phone before, so I'm not sure if I really want to reset my phone to stock just to install an update when ICS will be here in a month(from what I've heard anyway).