Update FAIL on data issue

OP
A

atlrus

Reaction score
So you'll be blamed for selling a phone that doesn't work because of Moto?

If someone is buying a phone from ebay I'm sure they know what they're getting into.

How did you figure that out?!? I had no idea I was getting into something when I bought the Bionic.
The buyer will see the data issue and will request a refund, may even post a bad feedback because of it.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nobody knows exactly what's causing the problem... it could be hardware, it could be software, it could be specific towers, it could be all of the above, or it could be something none of us know anything about. There has been no consistent "clue" yet to point to any specific cause. The test OTA's have had mixed results on the data connection issue while fixing some of the other bugs.

I've seen a few reports of people pulling their sim card, booting the phone, letting it sit for a few, then powering down and reinserting the sim card, thereby forcing Verizon to "re-recognize" them in the system, with success. If it's a sim card issue, that could explain the inconsistency between people/phones/areas/etc. But honestly I don't know if we'll ever know. It could simply be something on the network side of things that they eventually work out and we never get an answer.

Long story short, clearly some people have the issue and others don't seem to, and nobody knows why yet, and both sides of that fence shouldn't be fighting with each other about it trying to convince the other side that they're wrong.

OP
A

atlrus

Reaction score
I can tell you that it's certainly not specific towers - if I turn on my Tbolt I have no issues whatsoever. Maybe the Bionic acts differently with specific towers, but that's still a Bionic problem.

The bottom line is that for months now Moto has not been able to fix this problem. The "test OTA" as you call it is clearly not working, so they'd have to start from scratch, i.e. another 2 months until another "test OTA" and who knows if that one would fix the problem.

I personally think that there should be a warning on this forum that people with data issues would be better off exchanging for a different phone (Tbolt, RAZR, iPhone) while they can.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see how the Razr does. I know it doesn't have the same antenna, but it does have the same baseband.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried the sim card thing?

OP
A

atlrus

Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see how the Razr does. I know it doesn't have the same antenna, but it does have the same baseband.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried the sim card thing?

I have tried everything :( I've even used my Tbolt for a couple of days then switching back to Bionic - no luck. The "test OTA" had the phone working just fine - when it loses 4G it would instantly go to 3G, but this lasted exactly 2 days after the update. Now it's back to "normal".

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm on my fourth Bionic (long story), and so far it's been extremely solid with the data - significantly better than the previous ones. It's only been a few days, so we'll see... but all I've done is root it, still stock.

For what it's worth, every LTE phone that's come out has had similar issues right up front. Why they can't seem to get it right, I don't know, but their 3G only phones are still rock solid... so, bleh.

It'll be really interesting to see how AT&T's LTE phones fair once they start rolling out true LTE (maybe they just started?).

*fingers crossed*

*hate that I have to have my fingers crossed at all*

cbrmike

Reaction score
I will have to agree with the OP on a few points, its been two months and we still have no update to fix the issue so 60 days... then rumors of a 30-60 day roll out on the ota come on. I really like the Bionic (with data) but how many of us would have got one if we knew we would have to wait 120 days before it MIGHT get fixed. OP is right people should be warned.

Last edited:

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not really. It's the same update that's about the be pushed out. Let's not forget that Bionic is Verizon-only phone, so all updates from Moto are Verizon-specific.
My guess is that because the update doesn't work - it hasn't be OTAed yet.

Looking at http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...-update-file-str8-moto-no-root-necessary.html and http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...94-one-step-update-5-7-893-update-inside.html and Leaked 5.7.893 Full update (.886 --> .893) - Android Forums which unofficial update did you use and which procedure? Can you provide a link to the update you used?

Maybe. But it's already 1/3 into November and still no OTA. How long do you think it's acceptable to wait for Moto to fix its data issues?..

Isn't the official OTA update anywhere from 30 to 60 days? If so, I'd start complaining at the end of December.

I can tell you that it's certainly not specific towers - if I turn on my Tbolt I have no issues whatsoever. Maybe the Bionic acts differently with specific towers, but that's still a Bionic problem.

I have a theory that the radio in the Bionic is has less of a range than the one in the Tbolt (I've never owned one) so it only picks up the stronger signals. Interesting what the RAZR owners will post.

BTW data stinks where I live, but always have when I changed from Clamshell to Candybar phones. It's like your pictures, BUT go out of the valley where I live and it's fine. In fact I was in the basement of the Aerospace Museum in San Diego today and the 4Glte was rock solid. In the basement, in a concrete building built in the 30s. Go figure.

Last edited:

GoBears

Reaction score
The one shot update to 5.7.893 has all but fixed my Bionic data issues. I think I had one drop in 2 days. Mine was always dropping on the handoff from 1X to 3G as I don't live in a 4G area. I have high hopes the final OTA will once and for all end this issue.

GoBears

TatDroid

Reaction score
its been two months and we still have no update to fix the issue

You think YOU'RE passed, how about the Thunderbolt and Charge owners that are STILL waiting. Maybe after all the Razor owners start complaining and threatening a class action lawsuit Verizon will finally be able to get this 4G thing figured out.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

McGyver777

Reaction score
Did you try that "restart connection" app that people had some success with? I do not know the name, sorry.

GoBears

Reaction score
Did you try that "restart connection" app that people had some success with? I do not know the name, sorry.

Restart Connections is just a one click airplane toggle.