1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Update FAIL on data issue

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by atlrus, Nov 9, 2011.

1. atlrus

atlrus New Member

Just giving the heads up for those of you who are waiting on the update to fix the infamous data issues - it doesn't work. I got the unofficial update and everything worked great for exactly 2 days (just like it did when I bought the phone). Now it's back to having issues all the time.
    So if you are waiting on the update, hoping to fix the issue and still have time to return the phone - don't bother, just return the phone and get a different one (as in not made by Moto).
  2. GeneralZod

GeneralZod New Member

I think this is a worth noting.

The RAZR drops in two days. That will be a strong indicator as to whether it's a Moto issue or Bionic.
  3. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

Aren't all these updates tests?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  4. atlrus

atlrus New Member

Not really. It's the same update that's about the be pushed out. Let's not forget that Bionic is Verizon-only phone, so all updates from Moto are Verizon-specific.
    My guess is that because the update doesn't work - it hasn't be OTAed yet.

It's a Bionic issue, which is made by Moto :)
  5. atlrus

atlrus New Member

Maybe. But it's already 1/3 into November and still no OTA. How long do you think it's acceptable to wait for Moto to fix its data issues?
    I am past my 14 day return period, but those who are not should seriously consider the option of not having any data on their $600 4g phone for who knows how long...
  6. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

I had radio issues with my OG DROID, and had to wait 4 months for the radio update.

You could sell your Bionic on ebay and use the money to get a new phone.

7. Low Saturn

Low Saturn New Member

I didnt have data issues before the update. And I dont have them after I installed the updates. In fact the updates seem to have cured my endless reboot and black locked screen problems.
  8. atlrus

atlrus New Member

Glad to hear that. But this doesn't apply to you, it's for people who have data issues and are hoping the update will fix them.

And trust me - you do have data issues, just don't know it yet. The minute you travel far enough from the tower you will see what we are talking about.
  9. atlrus

atlrus New Member

I don't think so. I have a perfect eBay rating and I won't mess it up by selling junk phones.
  10. BigZig

BigZig New Member

Because there has been no Offical OTA update you can not say that the update is a fail, if the offical OTA comes out and does not fix the data issue then you can call the update a fail.
  11. atlrus

atlrus New Member

If some people want to hang on to semantics like that, that's fine by me.
    But those who actually have the issue and are on the fence whether to be stuck with this phone for 2 years after spending $300 - consider yourselves warned.
  12. Low Saturn

Low Saturn New Member

I travel out of tower range every day. I have needed to use the network extender I got from Verizon just so I can place and receive calls at home for a couple years now. So my home is right on the border lf tower coverage. I also do a lot of long distance driving going through areas with zero coverage.
  13. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

So you'll be blamed for selling a phone that doesn't work because of Moto?

If someone is buying a phone from ebay I'm sure they know what they're getting into.

14. atlrus

atlrus New Member

OK, then all of us who claim we loose connection are a bunch of lairs. Or are you claiming that you have different hardware/software on your phone than I do?
    When people all over the country switch 3 phones and still have the issue - it's not really a bad batch at this point.
  15. dbord

dbord New Member

I'm at the edge of coverage and rarely get over two bars and I have no data issue problems. Why is it that some Bionic's have major problems and others like mine have none???
  16. atlrus

atlrus New Member

How did you figure that out?!? I had no idea I was getting into something when I bought the Bionic.
    The buyer will see the data issue and will request a refund, may even post a bad feedback because of it.
  17. atlrus

atlrus New Member

Here is what happens when I simply move my phone 2 feet (note the time on the phone):
    View attachment 42382

5 seconds later:

View attachment 42383

And 3 minutes later still no data whatsoever:

View attachment 42384

Too bad my wife is not home, so I could take a pic of her phone next to mine to see that I have max bars 3g signal.
  18. atlrus

atlrus New Member

Of course, 10 minutes later, the phone rebooted itself and low and behold: STILL NO DATA:

View attachment 42385
  19. atlrus

atlrus New Member

And finally data comes back 20 minutes later after draining 10% of my battery:

View attachment 42387

Totally worth $600 :icon_ lala:
  20. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator Premium Member

Nobody knows exactly what's causing the problem... it could be hardware, it could be software, it could be specific towers, it could be all of the above, or it could be something none of us know anything about. There has been no consistent "clue" yet to point to any specific cause. The test OTA's have had mixed results on the data connection issue while fixing some of the other bugs.

I've seen a few reports of people pulling their sim card, booting the phone, letting it sit for a few, then powering down and reinserting the sim card, thereby forcing Verizon to "re-recognize" them in the system, with success. If it's a sim card issue, that could explain the inconsistency between people/phones/areas/etc. But honestly I don't know if we'll ever know. It could simply be something on the network side of things that they eventually work out and we never get an answer.

Long story short, clearly some people have the issue and others don't seem to, and nobody knows why yet, and both sides of that fence shouldn't be fighting with each other about it trying to convince the other side that they're wrong.
Search tags for this page

ota update data connection is not available at this time. tr