Update error message

cervri

Reaction score
I don't think you can get there with Astro. I use Root Explorer to go to /System. The file exists in the System folder. I think you can use ESFile explorer also to get there. To edit or rename a file there, you must mount /system as RW (read/write). If any changes have been made to the build.prop file, you will receive the error message you got. When I edited the file in Root Explorer, it kept a copy of the original as build.prop.bak in the same folder. I just deleted the edited build.prop and renamed build.prop.bak to build.prop. Then I flashed with no problem.

I found the build.prop file but no backup file. Guess Astro did not search the system directory or it would have found it the first time. Anyway build.prop says it was modified on the 9th of January 2012. That may have been when I rooted the phone. I did a back up when I did it. I don't suppose you can do like on the PC restore a single file? Sure am glad you gurus are around. Thanks
Chuck

cervri

Reaction score
Bumping this back up as I still have the problem. I have tried several time at rebooting/Battery pull, and Titanium restore. I is still a no go.

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score

bjjud

Reaction score
Finally extracted the update file out of my cache, and attempted to install it from stock recovery, so I could see why it's failing (I put the bloat back in already) It complains about 'dockservice.apk" (Which, IS in there....but I'm sure there's something different about that file, since I did the web-top hack. Is my only option doing factory reset, grabbing the update, THEN doing the root stuff? (I think I have a Nandroid from right before, and right after I rooted it, can't remember...prolly ought label the folders. What I'm afeerd of...is fixing the 'dockservice' thing, THEN getting slapped down 3 or 4 lines after THAT one. I'll never complain about Microsoft anymore. (pffft, who am I kidding?)

auglove3rd

Reaction score
I was going through the exact same thing, I found this thread:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...g-corrupted-system-files-your-rooted-fix.html

Download the zip containing all of your stock app folder files, extract it wherever, and then use Root Explorer to move whatever files your failed update message mentions.

I started with DockService.apk and DockService.odex (which had been deleted by my Webtop hack). I did get a couple more errors after that, Portal and VZW Entitlement, but I just moved those files from the extract folder into system/app and the 902 update worked just fine after that.

Hope this helps!

auglove3rd

Reaction score
By the way, after getting 902, I reinstalled the Webtop hack and it's working great.