update equals lost applications

turnpike

Reaction score
when i woke up i saw the new update, i was all excited...so i downloaded it like everyone else...then i started playing around with it...i noticed the layout is similar to my wifes' Iphone4s..and to make it worse i lost about a dozen applications to include all the angry birds...which i JUST completed. it's not like the apps were moved off my screen...they were completed deleted without my permission, is that not against user rights?...thankfully my pda.net tether was unaffected...if that got messed up i'd be fighting with verizon

NeXtras

Reaction score
User rights? lol.. almost anything goes during an update...

Sorry just cant stand when people have a problem and immediately want to blame/fight the companies... these phones are computers, things happen.. more often than none they suck, but they happen.. and you can easily just go and re download the apps...

Havent seen the iPhone 4s yet, but im pretty sure that has the new iOS5, which im pretty sure took a lot of design ques from Android, which is why the iPhone will look similar in layout

iguanad

Reaction score
Are the missing applications stored on the SD card? If so, they might just be missing from your home screens but still installed. Check the "all apps" menu. Gingerbread doesnt retain the SD card apps on the home screens.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

OP
T

turnpike

Reaction score
Are the missing applications stored on the SD card? If so, they might just be missing from your home screens but still installed. Check the "all apps" menu. Gingerbread doesnt retain the SD card apps on the home screens.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

They are being deleted from my sd card...having to go and redownload everything...not looking to forward to redoing 150+ levels of angry birds

Jonas

Reaction score
They are being deleted from my sd card...having to go and redownload everything...not looking to forward to redoing 150+ levels of angry birds

Aside from losing your progress in a game, have you lost anything or importance. I sympathize with the loss of angry birds, since my little brother and mom are both hardcore into the game, and I have watched them play for hours on the same level. One thing I would recommend is a Back Up assistant of some kind. I don't take preference in supporting one over the other, but these will help you restore your apps. If you are rooted however, I must suggest Titanium Backup.

As for calling Verizon, if you want to get down to the nitty gritty of it, you essentially signed a contract to borrow their software. They still own it, and they can do as they please. The update is in an infancy stage. I would let it work itself out through more updates before you bum-rush Verizon demanding explanations.

OP
T

turnpike

Reaction score
i am rooted (z4root) and do have titianum backup...thats why this caught me by surprise...

i'm not one to run to VZ and B(*&^ and moan, it's a update..i realize that, but giving other a heads up of what i experienced from it is what part of these forums are for...

besides i'm still getting full unlimited internet...so a minor issue of games adn apps is frustrating noe the less, but nothing compared to my internet

leobg

Reaction score
How did you do the update while rooted?

Update seems not affected if only root is present (su binary and superuser.ask). If you have CWM loaded, update will fail.

Sent from my XT860 using Tapatalk

OP
T

turnpike

Reaction score
seems that my titanium backup is still present, as when i go to the market place it has it being downloaded...but it's hidden on my app list... this is frustrating :mad:

cutiedroid

Reaction score
Update seems not affected if only root is present (su binary and superuser.ask). If you have CWM loaded, update will fail.

Sent from my XT860 using Tapatalk

So I unloaded z4Root and also, thru Superuser, toggled off z4Root, Bloat Freezer, Droid 2 Bootstrapper, an app called Root Explorer, and Superuser itself. Reboot phone, download update, that black screen with the intense green letters comes up (CWM), reboot back to phone as it is and get message that update has failed. Then, per your message, especially since I haven't really done anything else with my phone except freeze some apps, which I've un-froze, where is CWM, aside from in Droid 2 Bootstrapper which I thot was frozen, and how do I get rid of it? Do these apps, at least z4Root, D2Bootstrapper and Superuser have to be physically removed from the phone?

And another question, do I need to download SBF and do all of that if I delete those 3 apps and the only non-stock thing on my phone is Go Launcher EX?

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
The update is installed by the stock recovery, not CWM.

To restore your system to pre-CWM state, you need to root, and use something like Root Explorer to go to /system/bin/ and check if there's logwrapper.bin in there. If there is, delete “logwrapper” there, and rename “logwrapper.bin” to “logwrapper”.

OP
T

turnpike

Reaction score
from further trial and error...it seems to be a issues with the "sd card program" every time i connect my phone to the computer and my sd card undocks...i lose the apps on my page...and still can't find titianum backup pro..even thought it says it's installed on the phone...

update:
used move to SD card program...confirmed that all apps on SD card are not accessible once moved AND said apps "vanish" from page when card is docked and do not reappear when undocked...will be calling verizon techs later this week

Last edited:

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
This was already discussed @ motorola owners' forum.

Any homescreen shortcuts to apps installed to the SD card will disappear on unmount.

leobg

Reaction score
Given the outrageous amount of memory dedicated for installing apps on D2G, there is absolutely no reason you move apps to SD card with this phone. Simply move all apps back on phone storage and you will be fine.

OP
T

turnpike

Reaction score
This was already discussed @ motorola owners' forum.

Any homescreen shortcuts to apps installed to the SD card will disappear on unmount.

yes BUT they returned when the card redocked.. the deletion never happened until this latest update...i went to 3 different stores and confirmed that they are aware of the situation and a new update will be released sometime in november